Author Topic: We are going to have to get a 2nd job just to afford gas to drive to our career  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3321823

greenbriar(1000+ posts)
Wed May-21-08 07:16 PM
Original message
We are going to have to get a 2nd job just to afford gas to drive to our career job

Edited on Wed May-21-08 07:17 PM by greenbriar
overhead this in the teacher's lounge today.

Teachers are paid decently...not wonderfully, but decently and the more education and the longer you have been teaching the higher your pay scale is.

We were in the teacher's lounge today for lunch and one teacher who as a Masters + 30 and been teaching 20 years said this...

then went on to complain that her mortgage went up 300 dollars too...

(guess who she voted for in 2004)

naw I didn't rub it in did not feel the need to

Balls, all I see is balls bouncing everywhere. :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
This person sounds so much like my old friend bouncy ball.  They are both teachers, are you sure she isn't her?

Offline Lord Undies

Why would anyone's mortgage go up $300.00?  Mine has been the same for 21 years.  It hasn't varied a dime.  

Now, if the teacher was stupid enough to sign for a variable rate mortgage, well, she should be paying less.  Rates have gone down in most areas.  

So why, oh why, did this teacher's mortgage go up $300.00?  Property taxes?  Not likely.  Home values have been steady or turning downward just about everywhere.  Regardless, a $3600.00 per year jump in taxes is very unlikely.

Maybe her insurance went up $3600.00?  Equally unlikely.  Unless she burned the house down last year.  

Offline Ralph Wiggum

This person sounds so much like my old friend bouncy ball.  They are both teachers, are you sure she isn't her?

I think they're completely different people.  Just a bit similar.  I knew a number of uber-lib teachers that worked with the former Mrs. Wiggum.  None were quite off the deep end as Bouncy or Greenbriar, but libs nonetheless.

Username: greenbriar

Member since    Mar 11th 2004
Number of posts    11529
Gender    undeclared
Comment    http://nobravery.cf.huffingtonpost.com/
Member of DU Activist Corps    Yes

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"

I think they're completely different people.  Just a bit similar.  I knew a number of uber-lib teachers that worked with the former Mrs. Wiggum.  None were quite off the deep end as Bouncy or Greenbriar, but libs nonetheless.

Number of posts    11529
Gender    undeclared

Have you had a bouncy ball sighting lately?  When was the last time you have seen her? 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Number of posts    11529
Gender    undeclared

Have you had a bouncy ball sighting lately?  When was the last time you have seen her? 

It's been at least a year, probably longer.  Do you still see her on some of your other boards?

Offline West Coaster

• Probationary (Probie)
Why would anyone's mortgage go up $300.00?  Mine has been the same for 21 years.  It hasn't varied a dime.  

Now, if the teacher was stupid enough to sign for a variable rate mortgage, well, she should be paying less.  Rates have gone down in most areas.  

So why, oh why, did this teacher's mortgage go up $300.00?  Property taxes?  Not likely.  Home values have been steady or turning downward just about everywhere.  Regardless, a $3600.00 per year jump in taxes is very unlikely.

Maybe her insurance went up $3600.00?  Equally unlikely.  Unless she burned the house down last year.  

Actually, new variable rate mortgages have gone down in most areas.  However, existing variable rates, tied to the LIBOR, have jumped significantly.  Those able to refinance to either a fixed rate or to a new adjustable rate (at the current rates) may have actually decreased their payments.  However, lenders are very reluctant to refinance those types of mortgages.
When we were at peace, Democrats wanted to raise taxes. Now there's a war, so Democrats want to raise taxes. When there was a surplus, Democrats wanted to raise taxes. Now that there is a mild recession, Democrats want to raise taxes.
-Ann Coulter

Offline jukin

All the shit has hit the fan since the new CHANGE democrat congress was installed.  To think they want more of this.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Lord Undies

Now, if the teacher was stupid enough to sign for a variable rate mortgage, well, she should be paying less.  Rates have gone down in most areas.  

Actually, new variable rate mortgages have gone down in most areas.  However, existing variable rates, tied to the LIBOR, have jumped significantly.  Those able to refinance to either a fixed rate or to a new adjustable rate (at the current rates) may have actually decreased their payments.  However, lenders are very reluctant to refinance those types of mortgages.

I thought the LIBOR rate was down at least a half a point from a year ago. 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
OH NO!

I guess I shouldn't have dropped $1700 on a new guitar amplifier I totally did not need!

Damnit BC, that's the excess Father Barack is talking about. You should have just been happy with a $100 Gorilla amp. Kids in Ehernopia can't afford one, so you shouldn't be allowed to have one either. How would our image be perceived?  :censored:

:-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"

Number of posts    11529
Gender    undeclared

It's been at least a year, probably longer.  Do you still see her on some of your other boards?

I don't have any other boards except for quilting and embroidery boards.  She wouldn't just "go away" she is there under a different name, I am sure of it.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.

Now, if the teacher was stupid enough to sign for a variable rate mortgage, well, she should be paying less.  Rates have gone down in most areas.  

Based on what the DUmmy seems to be implying here, I can only assume Bush signed an Executive Order raising the friend's house payment.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Lauri

Why would anyone's mortgage go up $300.00?  Mine has been the same for 21 years.  It hasn't varied a dime. 

So why, oh why, did this teacher's mortgage go up $300.00?  Property taxes?  Not likely.  Home values have been steady or turning downward just about everywhere.  Regardless, a $3600.00 per year jump in taxes is very unlikely.

Maybe her insurance went up $3600.00?  Equally unlikely.  Unless she burned the house down last year.   

even in one of the most heavily taxed areas (seattle) taxes on our plush new abode went down almost 300 dollars a month. we had an overage in our account after the first year and it stunned me.

i think her rate adjusted and she just doesnt know what that means yet. or she does understand and she just wants to bitch about something.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
even in one of the most heavily taxed areas (seattle) taxes on our plush new abode went down almost 300 dollars a month. we had an overage in our account after the first year and it stunned me.

i think her rate adjusted and she just doesnt know what that means yet. or she does understand and she just wants to bitch about something.

Wow, you give her too much credit, Lauri. As for me, well, I just think the bitch is lyin'.  :lmao:

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lauri

Wow, you give her too much credit, Lauri. As for me, well, I just think the bitch is lyin'.  :lmao:

she most likely is .. :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Bouncey bouncey bouncey!!

The only idjits getting rate hikes are the ones who didn't read the paperwork they signed and are now in a state of shock over the word "adjustable" in their adjustable rate mortgage.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
Bouncey bouncey bouncey!!

The only idjits getting rate hikes are the ones who didn't read the paperwork they signed and are now in a state of shock over the word "adjustable" in their adjustable rate mortgage.

300 bucks is a pretty big jump. Besides, as Undies said, rates have been falling.

Offline MrsSmith

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3321823

greenbriar(1000+ posts)
Original message
We are going to have to get a 2nd job just to afford gas to drive to our career job

Teachers are paid decently...not wonderfully, but decently and the more education and the longer you have been teaching the higher your pay scale is.

We were in the teacher's lounge today for lunch and one teacher who as a Masters + 30 and been teaching 20 years said this...

OH NOES!!!!  I voted for Pres. Bush in 2004, too!!!  My mortgage is going up....my mortgage is going up!!!1!!111 :o :o

Oh, wait...we have a fixed rate 15-year mortgage.  WHEW!!   ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Lord Undies

greenbriar(1000+ posts)
Original message

OH NOES!!!!  I voted for Pres. Bush in 2004, too!!!  My mortgage is going up....my mortgage is going up!!!1!!111 :o :o

Oh, wait...we have a fixed rate 15-year mortgage.  WHEW!!   ::)

They weren't writing 15 year mortgages the year I bought this house.  I'd be seven years in the clear!

Oh well, my house payment is so low I can't afford to pay it off early now.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Gas prices are so high, farmers are going back to using mules.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Gas prices are so high, farmers are going back to using mules.   :whatever:

That's just gonna drive up the price of stubborn.   :uhsure:

Offline formerlurker

I can see property tax increase of that amount, depending on where in the country they reside.  Of course a property tax increase has nothing to do with GWB, but that is another matter.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
By the way, there's a certain grammatical, or vocabularial, oddity here that intrigues me.

I'm sure if Sigmund Freud were alive today, he'd be similarly curious.

The greedy thorn primitive is an 8th-grade social studies teacher, and so one reasonably assumes the greedy thorn primitive has a reasonable grasp of the English language.

But what is this "career job" stuff?

One assumes then that no one will have to take a second job so as to drive to their career, or to their job; only to their "career job".

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

By the way, there's a certain grammatical, or vocabularial, oddity here that intrigues me.

I'm sure if Sigmund Freud were alive today, he'd be similarly curious.

The greedy thorn primitive is an 8th-grade social studies teacher, and so one reasonably assumes the greedy thorn primitive has a reasonable grasp of the English language.

But what is this "career job" stuff?

One assumes then that no one will have to take a second job so as to drive to their career, or to their job; only to their "career job".

I took it as a clumsy attempt to emphasize that it will now be necessary for otherwise stable folks with stable careers to seek some lowly secondary employment in order to survive.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
I took it as a clumsy attempt to emphasize that it will now be necessary for otherwise stable folks with stable careers to seek some lowly secondary employment in order to survive.

You know, one hesitates--for very good reasons--to think of the greedy thorn primitive as a literary giant, but really, she doesn't make that many grammatical mistakes.  Some, sure, but not as many as the other primitives do.

That's why I found the redundancy intriguing.

The greedy thorn primitive was sloshed when she posted this.
apres moi, le deluge