Author Topic: Court clears way for political ad contracts to go online  (Read 456 times)

Offline thundley4

Court clears way for political ad contracts to go online
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Friday cleared the way for new rules to take effect next week that will force broadcasters to publish political advertising contracts online.
The court denied an emergency motion from the National Association of Broadcasters to stop the rules from taking effect during a larger judicial review.

The Federal Communications Commission adopted the rules in April to provide insight on campaign spending ahead of November's congressional and presidential elections. They will reveal who is paying for political campaign ads and just how much they are shelling out.

*snip*

The data broadcasters will post online includes detailed information on who paid for political ads, key personnel of the groups buying ads, when political ads aired and rejections of requests to buy air time.
The four biggest broadcasters are ABC, operated by Walt Disney Co, CBS Corp, News Corp's Fox, and NBC, controlled by Comcast Corp.
  Crock of shit.

This is the FCC doing the job that should be left to the FEC, if done at all.  Personally I don't think it's right, and it is just the Obama administrations attack on the Citizen's United decision.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what networks rejected which ads and if they charged different prices for different  parties.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Court clears way for political ad contracts to go online
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
I'm kind of on the fence about it.  Free speech doesn't include a guarantee of anonymity, and I can't say the Founders were against accountability in the court of public opinion for one's speech, but it is also one more intrusion of government into realms far beyond anything envisioned for it in the Constitution.  But, I agree, good or bad, the results are likely to be interesting, at least.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Court clears way for political ad contracts to go online
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »
I'm kind of on the fence about it.  Free speech doesn't include a guarantee of anonymity, and I can't say the Founders were against accountability in the court of public opinion for one's speech, but it is also one more intrusion of government into realms far beyond anything envisioned for it in the Constitution.  But, I agree, good or bad, the results are likely to be interesting, at least.
Free speech was originally considered literally getting up on your soapbox. I don't see any anonymity rights involved.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.