Author Topic: Bulls hit draft lottery, get #1 pick after having 1.7% chance  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3405648

The Chicago Bulls won the NBA's draft lottery Tuesday night, giving them the right to choose between star freshmen Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose.

Coming off a miserable season and still without a coach, the Bulls vaulted from the No. 9 spot, where they had just a 1.7 percent chance of landing the top choice.

They will almost certainly choose between Beasley, the Kansas State forward who averaged 26.5 points and an NCAA-best 12.5 rebounds, or Rose, the point guard who carried Memphis within minutes of the national title.

The Miami Heat, who had a 25 percent chance of landing the top pick thanks to their NBA-worst 15-67 record, fell to second. The Minnesota Timberwolves will go third.

The NBA draft will be held June 26 in New York.

I still have my suspicions about the NBA draft, and I'm no where near a conspiracy theorist.  But why would you give a crappy franchise like the Bulls the #1 pick rather than the darlings of the NBA, the New York Knicks?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline john c calhoun

Re: Bulls hit draft lottery, get #1 pick after having 1.7% chance
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
they need it...

so do ALL chicago sports teams...

still won't help them ...

chi town is lazy, settles for potholes & bad teams...

until that changes, they won't win...

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »

The Chicago Bulls won the NBA's draft lottery Tuesday night, giving them the right to choose between star freshmen Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose.

Coming off a miserable season and still without a coach, the Bulls vaulted from the No. 9 spot, where they had just a 1.7 percent chance of landing the top choice.

They will almost certainly choose between Beasley, the Kansas State forward who averaged 26.5 points and an NCAA-best 12.5 rebounds, or Rose, the point guard who carried Memphis within minutes of the national title.

The Miami Heat, who had a 25 percent chance of landing the top pick thanks to their NBA-worst 15-67 record, fell to second. The Minnesota Timberwolves will go third.

I still have my suspicions about the NBA draft, and I'm no where near a conspiracy theorist.  But why would you give a crappy franchise like the Bulls the #1 pick rather than the darlings of the NBA, the New York Knicks?
1.7% chance is still a chance. But why would you think the Nicks are the Darlings of the NBA? Seems they are the crappy franchise.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »

I like the lotto but it does go a bit to far IMHO. If I could change it, I'd keep the numbers system in play but do it on a tier basis. Meaning, bottom 4 teams would be guaranteed the top four  draft slots. Then the same deal for 5 - 8 and 9 - 12. That way the worst team in the NBA can't fall further than the fourth overall spot. Teams 13 and on should be merit based only.

I think this is more fair but still would prevent anyone from tanking games at years end for draft possition.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

1.7% chance is still a chance. But why would you think the Nicks are the Darlings of the NBA? Seems they are the crappy franchise.

The Knicks are still a marquee team for the league, in the biggest market.  That's all I meant.  I know they've been very poorly run and a bad team for a while, but the NBA needs them to succeed.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

The Knicks are still a marquee team for the league, in the biggest market.  That's all I meant.  I know they've been very poorly run and a bad team for a while, but the NBA needs them to succeed.

so thats why the NY Giants defense was allowed to late hit & headslap Tom Brady the entire superbowl !!

NY is  BY FAR a bigger market than Boston & the Patiot nation  !!...

bastards :banghead: