Author Topic: What concerts have you been to?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline djones520

What concerts have you been to?
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:40 AM »
I myself have only been to one real concert so far in my life.  Tool, back in July 07.  They've been my favorite band for years, and I love that my first concert was one of theirs.

It was truly a great show.  Even the drunken assholes in front of us couldn't dampen the awesomeness (which only grew, when one of them fell down the stairs in his drunken state).

Anyways, truly a great show and something worth the massive amount of cash in ticket prices, gas, etc...

So what about you guys?  What memorable shows have you been to see?
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline jtyangel

Re: What concerts have you been to?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:08:54 AM »
I've been to quite a few. Used to write a little local rag on the music scene at a very young adult. They span the genres, but most of my stuff focuses on a certain genre as you'll see...so just a few:

7 Seconds, The Descendents, Primus, The Red Hot Chili Peppers(several times), U2, Black Flag, Henry Rollins, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Nine Inch Nails, Meat Beat Manifesto, etc, etc, etc. I'm listing the ones I enjoyed at the time, there were other things I went to that were more dance or rock, but the alternative stuff was the mainstay and what I enjoyed most then.

I've probably met more then I've seen in concert though. It was a fun thing to do before one gets too serious with life and I was lucky enough to do it in a tropical environment(Florida). And I always behaved professionally, so I usually had a good deal more access then just your average kid star-gazing. It was fun.

I hung with an artsie fartsie crowd, many of which are still into that scene.  :thatsright: Kind of fun to reminisce with them that being the case since they are still into it.

Oh, as for most memorable(and disappointing)...a Circle Jerks show where the concert ended about 2 songs in because of the bloody stupid skinheads throwing bottles at one another :whatever: and the times we got to sit right off stage and watch the shows. Best...Henry Rollins and the Chili Peppers put on really terrific shows.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
Oh man, I doubt I can remember them all....

My first concert was Journey.  Then I saw DEVO, Adam Ant, J Giles Band, Cheap Trick, Huey Lewis, Stevie Ray Vaugh, Stevie Nicks (4 times), Fleetwood Mac (2 times), Lenny Kravits (yum), The Reverend Horton Heat (several times and may go this weekend to see them again).....ack I can't remember who else I've seen.

I forgot I saw Billy Joel and Elton John in concert together. Oh and 38 Special.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:29:05 AM by BEG »

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:40:42 AM »
Too dang many to remember.  It is all a blurrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My first concert was at age 12 in 1966.  I saw The Mamas and The Papas.  Well, I almost saw The Mamas and The Papas.  That concert was during the brief window in time when Jill Gibson replaced Michelle Phillips in the group.

I was at the next-to-the-last-ever Doors concert "preformed" the Fair Park Music Hall in Dallas.  They appeared together one more time (New Orleans) before Morrison exiled to France and died six months later.

The last concert I saw was Leann Rimes at Smirnoff Music Center over a year ago.  I watched her sing two songs.       

Offline DaSaintFan

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:50:10 AM »
I just remember my first concert...

M.C. Hammer, during his heyday.. about the only other concerts I remember going to are  Lonestar and Clint Black/Wynonna Judd tour.
(and I remember a Joan Jett concert my freshman year in college... )

I'm just so "musically uncultured"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:52:02 AM by DaSaintFan »

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
Dozens.

I saw Clapton 3x, Pink Floyd, Neil Young at least twice, James Taylor (it was a date), Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, Buffett 3 times, Journey at least twice with my wife, Def Leppard, Huey Lewis, The Allman Brothers, and more.

I've also seen the Wiggles three times.  :hammer:

Regrets?
I'm jealous of BEG for seeing J. Geils. I'd have loved to see them live. I wish I'd have seen the Grateful Dead. I could've gone to Live Aid in Philly way back when but I was sick. It would have been fun to see the Stones, too.

Next month, I'm seeing Levon Helm, and I got my wife tickets to see Pat Benatar  :whatever: for Valentines Day.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:10:04 AM »
Dozens.

I saw Clapton 3x, Pink Floyd, Neil Young at least twice, James Taylor (it was a date), Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, Buffett 3 times, Journey at least twice with my wife, Def Leppard, Huey Lewis, The Allman Brothers, and more.

Regrets?
I'm jealous of BEG for seeing J. Geils. I'd have loved to see them live. I wish I'd have seen the Grateful Dead. I could've gone to Live Aid in Philly way back when but I was sick. It would have been fun to see the Stones, too.

Next month, I'm seeing Levon Helm, and I got my wife tickets to see Pat Benatar  :whatever: for Valentines Day.

I saw the Stones at the Cotton Bowl a hundred years ago.  My wife toured with them through Texas a few years ago doing their concessions.  She saw Jagger pee on a bus tire in the middle of the night (haha). 

We got to see Jagger and Jerry Hall tumble out of a hot air balloon when it crash-landed behind our house about twenty years ago.  We didn't know it was them until we heard about it later. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan and I went to the same high school at the same time.  I was on stage with him once.  Our families knew each other.  Stevie's dad worked with my dad.

Another musical connection is my daughter was married to Reba McEntire's cousin.  Two of my grandaughters are cousin of Reba McEntire.  Of course, my daughter was married to the only twig on the McEntire Family Tree that had no "leaves". 

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
Stevie was an amazing guitar talent. Not an animated show, exactly, but he could play.

Undies, you, too, should write a book. You've had some pretty interesting musical connections.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »
The Dead Milkmen (first concert ever)

Joan Baez (forced by my mother, although not to bad...for a hippie  :lmao: )

Bad Company  :rocker2:

MC Hammer

Pat Benatar :rocker2:

Diamond Rio

George Jones

Jeff Foxworthy (he counts)

Sarah McLaughlin

Rascall Flatts

Had tickets to Kenny Chesney, but I was TOO sick (preggers sick) to even go (what a pisser)

Bill Engvall

Was supposed to go see Larry the Cable Guy, but was TOO pregnant to be comfortable in one of those seats, so hubby and son went sans me.

Concerts that have been RIGHT under my nose since living in the ATL, but I didn't go (and do regret it): Elton John, Depeche Mode (BIG fan of them in HS, and I'd still like to see them now), Chris Issak, Prince, and Madonna (hey, I LOVE her music).
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:23:21 AM »
Stevie was an amazing guitar talent. Not an animated show, exactly, but he could play.

Undies, you, too, should write a book. You've had some pretty interesting musical connections.

I did help write a book published in 2002.  It was a history of The Mamas and The Papas and the LA music era.  The author called me "the Forrest Gump of rock 'n roll".   :rotf:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
I used to work at a record store and at a large, live-music venue as a bouncer, so, too numerous to count.

Some of the more memorable ones are Man or Astroman?, The Rev. Horton Heat, Hot Water Music, and Face to Face.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »
Pennywise, NOFX, Bad religion, descendents, MXPX, Blink 182, Fish Bone, Misfits, hank Jr., Bush, Rocket from the Crypt, Mud Honey, Alice in Chains, Judas Priest, Metallica and many more
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
Van Halen-1983,1986,2007,Kid Rock-multiple times over the years,the last one being SuperBowl weekend in Detroit,ACDC-multiple times starting in 1986-present,Kiss-twice once with makeup once without,All of the hair bands of the 80's multiple times at multiple venues{Poison,Ratt,BonJovi,Warrant,Motley Crue and so on}Godsmack,Rob Zombie,Shinedown,David Lee Roth multiple times,multiple venues,Rockin Robert Seger multiple times at PineKnob,Tesla multiple times,multiple venues. Theres alot more but I would to sit and think about it for a while {that and I don't want to bore people} :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »
I've been to a few

Reba McEntire was my first, with my parents.  Smashing Pumpkins & Garbage was my first with friends.  Deftones twice, Beck, Beastie Boys, Perfect Circle, George Strait big concert with Dixie Chicks, Tim McGraw, and a few others.  Garth Brooks, Stone Temple Pilots and Depeche Mode.  Plus, my friend was the band Terminal (everyone left Terminal and he's in Oh, Sleeper now) and I've seen them a bunch of times.  Oh, and I went to Lilith Fair one year.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »
The Dead Milkmen (first concert ever)

Joan Baez (forced by my mother, although not to bad...for a hippie  :lmao: )

Bad Company  :rocker2:

MC Hammer

Pat Benatar :rocker2:

Diamond Rio

George Jones

Jeff Foxworthy (he counts)

Sarah McLaughlin

Rascall Flatts

Had tickets to Kenny Chesney, but I was TOO sick (preggers sick) to even go (what a pisser)

Bill Engvall

Was supposed to go see Larry the Cable Guy, but was TOO pregnant to be comfortable in one of those seats, so hubby and son went sans me.

Concerts that have been RIGHT under my nose since living in the ATL, but I didn't go (and do regret it): Elton John, Depeche Mode (BIG fan of them in HS, and I'd still like to see them now), Chris Issak, Prince, and Madonna (hey, I LOVE her music).

Ooh, I did see Depeche Mode--during the Violator years...woot!

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:18 PM »
Over 30. I lost count a few years ago. All the bands I have seen since 1992 from what I can remember are Metallica, Pantera (5 times), Megadeth, White Zombie, Anthrax, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Mudvayne (3 times), Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Sevendust, ZZ Top, Disturbed, Ted Nugent, just to name a few....

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
I've been to more concerts than I can remember. I will say that I've seen just about every major act from the 70s and 80s, most more than once. Most recently I saw the Christian rock group Casting Crowns at Wild Adventures in Valdasta, Ga.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »

Oh MAN, that must have been great! They were really at their peak then, and that was when I was into them.

I see Mia has seen them too, WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
The last concert I went to was Cal Jam II.  What a waste.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »

Oh MAN, that must have been great! They were really at their peak then, and that was when I was into them.

I see Mia has seen them too, WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

My boyfriend at the time had told me they were his favorite band.  So, being the awesome girlfriend I am, bought tickets to them when they went on sale and we went together. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Dozens.

Regrets?

I knew I would forget some, I saw Buffett as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:40:35 PM by BEG »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
Dozens.

Regrets?

I saw the Stones at the Cotton Bowl a hundred years ago.  My wife toured with them through Texas a few years ago doing their concessions.  She saw Jagger pee on a bus tire in the middle of the night (haha). 

We got to see Jagger and Jerry Hall tumble out of a hot air balloon when it crash-landed behind our house about twenty years ago.  We didn't know it was them until we heard about it later. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan and I went to the same high school at the same time.  I was on stage with him once.  Our families knew each other.  Stevie's dad worked with my dad.

Another musical connection is my daughter was married to Reba McEntire's cousin.  Two of my grandaughters are cousin of Reba McEntire.  Of course, my daughter was married to the only twig on the McEntire Family Tree that had no "leaves". 

I think Undies is really TiT from DU.   :tongue:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »
Oh I forgot another one, The Stray Cats.  They were great.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »

I see Mia has seen them too, WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

It was..I like them a lot too!

FlaGator--Casting Crowns is a fave of mine in the Christian genre.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
Dozens.

Regrets?

I think Undies is really TiT from DU.   :tongue:

ZING... :-)