Author Topic: UGH...this is why I sometimes don't like computers  (Read 2918 times)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
UGH...this is why I sometimes don't like computers
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
So...my moms laptop has been sending malicious emails.

I called her to let her know and offered to take a look at it. She brought it over to drop it off.

I booted it up on a avira rescue cd, the scan completed and found 3 threats, the files were renamed. I exited avira, rebooted and logged in. Once logged in I found that it is running Mcafee. After updating the defenitions it wanted to reboot (?) so I rebooted it and then it wanted to run chkdsk (!).

I now fear a death spiral that will result in the use of the recovery cd.  :bawl:

Oh, I have the log from the avira scan if anybody is interested in that kinda thing.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: UGH...this is why I sometimes don't like computers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
chkdsk is a necessary evil.  McAfee not so much.  I prefer Avast! with small doses of MalwareBytes and CCleaner.

I fixed an email account that had been hijacked by some dirka dirka buffoons where everything had been changed over to Arabic.  That shit pissed me off to no end because every time I changed it back to English, it would revert to Arab whenever I refreshed the page.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:04:51 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
The only experience I have with McAfee is how to uninstall it.

The funny thing (or not) is, that it seemed to belive it was up to date, so I (I'm such a cynic) ran a check for updates and what do you know, it wasn't up to date! :rant:

I also have Nortons Power Eraser and some other rescue .exe, I forget what it is.

I've used Avast in the past yo! I might just take another look.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
Oh goody!

3:21 pm et I got another email.

Maybe its scared and trying to run away.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
Ok I'm pretty frustrated with this thing right now.

I think, maybe, McAfee caught the bug but I'm not sure.

The frustration comes in with trying to apply win7 sp1...the laptop will not have it via win update and Msofts site doesen't seem to offer the right download for a 64bit centrino 2 system.

EK is going to draw an alcoholic beverage, kick back, draw a breath and watch the whatever is left of the Nationwide race.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
I agree. I don't use Anti-viruses and when people I know insist on using one, I recommend either Avast! or AVG. Norton and McAfee (McAfee used to be pretty good. Their corporate version was great) are resource pigs that cause more problems than they are worth. Also, in most cases to get rid of them, you have to do a reformat because of all the crap they leave behind. Sure Norton has a removal tool, but it still doesn't remove everything.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
Ok I seem to have to be over the hump.

McAfee and Malwarebytes seem to have got the bug...at least so far, for me in the corporate world once a machine is infected it is no longer trust worthy.

So this laptop bears watching.

The service pack 1 thing, "error 0800B0100" was resolved by renaming the folder C:\windows\softwaredistibution.

I had to stop services BITS and the windows update to rename the folder. After cranking those service back up I used windows update to apply sp1, it took a bit because I think it had to go out and figure out what updates it had and what it needed.

Good deal, I don't know what the original problem was, I figure it was a rights issue off the top of my head, but it's interesting enough that I'll keep looking.

Here is another, probably, good fix.

http://litespc.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/how-to-fix-windows-update-800b0100-errors/
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu