Author Topic: Somebody tried to cold read me.  (Read 3987 times)

Offline tuolumnejim

Somebody tried to cold read me.
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
The scary part is these nuts are allowed to walk among us unrestrained.  :mental:

Link

IMModerate  (1000+ posts)       Wed May-07-08 02:53 PM
Original message
Somebody tried to cold read me.
 I posted this first in Skeptics group, but figured it would get more traffic here.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

I go to a weekly drum circle, which is an attraction for woo types. I consider it their turf so I'm not confrontational there. But last Saturday a few of us stopped into Applebee's for a beer afterward. In the conversation, I mentioned that my father died when I was twenty four, a long time ago. A little later a young fellow starts to talk about his beliefs and mentions an acquaintance with Sylvia Browne. I mention James Randi, offer to take him to one of JREF meetings.

A little while later, out of the blue, he starts to tell me that my father loved me very much. He said, "I see that he didn't always show it, but he really loved you a lot." So I know what's coming. I am determined not to give him any feedback. I was surprised at how difficult this was. There is a strong tendency to nod and give cues. It made me very self aware. I remain motionless and silent. He starts to cast about.

He says, "I see a wooden box that contains items." He pauses. Nothing from me. "It could have been made of something else." I allow myself to say, "Go on."

He says, "It may not have been a box, but something that you put things in." I'm silent but he flails around, asking me if there was something that I put things in. Finally, I say, "It's hard to imagine anybody that doesn't have something that they put things in." At this point, others interrupt this conversation. So I don't know where it was going. I guess he's trying to develop his cold reading skills, and decided to try them out on me. I could see how this could be very effective on people who don't know what is happening.

I may see him again on Saturday. I think I'll ask what he was trying to do if I get the chance. The drum circle is about jamming with no mysticism, and not much time for conversation. The lady who facilitates it, self describes as a pagan atheist, starts off each session with rhythms for the four elements, the male and female deity, and then says, "Let's jam!" And that's what we do. How utterly weird that this guy is trying to tell me he is in touch with my dead father.

A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Somebody tried to cold read me.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
The lady who facilitates it, self describes as a pagan atheist, starts off each session with rhythms for the four elements, the male and female deity

Why would a pagan atheist start off with a religious ceremony? 

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »
The lady who facilitates it, self describes as a pagan atheist, starts off each session with rhythms for the four elements, the male and female deity

What exactly is a pagan atheist? That seems like a contradiction in terms like "I'm a Christian Hindu"...
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
So he goes to weekly drum circle and is put off by a cold read attempt? BWAHAHAHA!!! Has the DUmmie found a level of insanity that they won't abide by??? LOL!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »

What exactly is a pagan atheist? That seems like a contradiction in terms like "I'm a Christian Hindu"...

Pagan can mean "one of no religion", so I take it to be more of an adjective in this DUmbass case.  

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »

Pagan can mean "one of no religion", so I take it to be more of an adjective in this DUmbass case.  

Wouldn't just 'Atheist' do? Either she is saying I'm an atheist atheist which would be redundant or she is saying I'm a deist atheist which would be an oximoron.
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »

Wouldn't just 'Atheist' do? Either she is saying I'm an atheist atheist which would be redundant or she is saying I'm a deist atheist which would be an oximoron.

Yes, just "atheist" would provide the point, but you have to understand the nuance of the DUmmie's lack of mind.  You see, a plain ol' atheist, in DUmmie speak, is not a person without religion.  To them, an atheist is a person who knows God exists but spends their lives denying God and works hard to get others to do the same, which in fact makes atheism a religion unto itself.  Therefore, a "pagan atheist" qualifies the term "atheist" as being outside the DUmmie's usual use of the word.   

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »

Yes, just "atheist" would provide the point, but you have to understand the nuance of the DUmmie's lack of mind.  You see, a plain ol' atheist, in DUmmie speak, is not a person without religion.  To them, an atheist is a person who knows God exists but spends their lives denying God and works hard to get others to do the same, which in fact makes atheism a religion unto itself.  Therefore, a "pagan atheist" qualifies the term "atheist" as being outside the DUmmie's usual use of the word.   

When I wrap my head in Reynold's Wrap it all kind of makes sense. Thank you.
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »

When I wrap my head in Reynold's Wrap it all kind of makes sense. Thank you.

You're welcome.  I knew my unfinished degree in Technical Writing would come in handy one day.

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »

I suspect that "pagan atheist" means one who worships nature as nature, without acknowledging any of the pantheon of pagan gods.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
I had to pull out this choice comment:

The lady who facilitates it, self describes as a pagan atheist

What in the hell is a pagan atheist? Oh wait, I've seen that term used before among White Supreme. types...nevermind. If I recall correctly it is essentially someone in touch with their pagan roots who does not believe in God(or gods)--like I said, the only place I've ever heard that term is among the aforementioned group and it is a cultural identification.  :mental: Still, what a stupid descriptor for one's self--oh and nice one DUers :whatever:.

, starts off each session with rhythms for the four elements, the male and female deity, and then says, "Let's jam!" And that's what we do

So it is 'non mystical' yet the 'jam' begins with what is basically a pagan prayer or offering to the four elements and a god and goddess...pardon me while I go laugh myself silly over their total inconsistencies of thought and belief. :lmao:

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:16 AM »
So it is 'non mystical' yet the 'jam' begins with what is basically a pagan prayer or offering to the four elements and a god and goddess...pardon me while I go laugh myself silly over their total inconsistencies of thought and belief. :lmao:

You posted this just as I was about to post the same thing.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »

You posted this just as I was about to post the same thing.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Yes, jinx, that's exactly it. I didn't expect I was pondering that inconsistency.  :cheersmate:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
So he goes to weekly drum circle and is put off by a cold read attempt? BWAHAHAHA!!! Has the DUmmie found a level of insanity that they won't abide by??? LOL!

Perhaps 'cold reading' is considered rude in their circles. I'm not sure of the etiquette of drum circles and psychic 'non' mysticism. Maybe there's a book?  :lmao:

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
Oh this has GOT to be some kind of metrosexual girly-man!

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »

I think the qualifier is just there for a group of people who want to look even more out of the norm and different. Kinda the same thought process teenagers have when they go emo. What does that say about the maturity level with these peeps? :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
Wood nymphs, healing white light, crystals, talking pinapple juice = okay in DUmmieland

Someone trying to cold read you = Teh Debil!!!!!!!!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »

Perhaps 'cold reading' is considered rude in their circles. I'm not sure of the etiquette of drum circles and psychic 'non' mysticism. Maybe there's a book?  :lmao:

oh there is always a book!  :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 02:13:07 PM »
Wood nymphs, healing white light, crystals, talking pinapple juice = okay in DUmmieland

Someone trying to cold read you = Teh Debil!!!!!!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :cheersmate:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »

And if there isn't, there's money to be made off of one and selling it in 'whip-it' and bong shops...oh, I mean 'incense' and free thinkers shop.  :naughty: :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

And if there isn't, there's money to be made off of one and selling it in 'whip-it' and bong shops...oh, I mean 'incense' and free thinkers shop.  :naughty: :-)

a head shop just popped up in our little town.. its kind of funny. you wouldnt think we had money for pot in this * economy  :-)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
Ya gotta give it kudos for invoking the name of James Randi.  Other than that .... WHaaaa???!!!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Lauri

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »
Ya gotta give it kudos for invoking the name of James Randi.  Other than that .... WHaaaa???!!!!

KC

ok, that part flew right over my head. who is james randi?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »

KC

ok, that part flew right over my head. who is james randi?

James Randi is a former magician and escape artist who offers $1 Million to anyone who can prove paranormal/supernatural/et al activity exists.  He has offered the reward for many years and he has debunked many claims but to date no one has collected the money.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »

James Randi has an international reputation as a magician and escape artist, but today he is best known as the world's most tireless investigator and demystifier of paranormal and pseudoscientific claims.

Randi has pursued "psychic" spoonbenders, exposed the dirty tricks of faith healers, investigated homeopathic water "with a memory," and generally been a thorn in the sides of those who try to pull the wool over the public's eyes in the name of the supernatural.

He has received numerous awards and recognitions, including a Fellowship from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation in 1986.

On October 19, 1993, the PBS-TV "NOVA" program broadcast a one-hour special dealing with Randi's life work, particularly with his investigations of Uri Geller and various occult and healing claims being made by scientists in Russia.

He is the author of numerous books, including The Truth About Uri Geller, The Faith Healers, Flim-Flam!, and An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural. His lectures and television appearances have delighted — and vexed — audiences around the world.

In 1996, the James Randi Education Foundation was established to further Randi's work. Randi's long-standing challenge to psychics now stands as a $1,000,000 prize administered by the Foundation. It remains unclaimed.

http://www.randi.org/joom/about-james-randi.html

KC

*Stolen