Author Topic: ...and they call us crazy 'dooms-day' cultists?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
...and they call us crazy 'dooms-day' cultists?
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
marmar  (1000+ posts)       Sun May-18-08 12:28 PM
Original message http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3305177
Washington Post: This could be the beginning of the end for the world's last superpower 
 Advertisements [?]The Old Titans All Collapsed. Is the U.S. Next?

By Kevin Phillips
Sunday, May 18, 2008; Page B03

Back in August, during the panic over mortgages, Alan Greenspan offered reassurance to an anxious public. The current turmoil, the former Federal Reserve Board chairman said, strongly resembled brief financial scares such as the Russian debt crisis of 1998 or the U.S. stock market crash of 1987. Not to worry.

But in the background, one could hear the groans and feel the tremors as larger political and economic tectonic plates collided. Nine months later, Greenspan's soothing analogies no longer wash. The U.S. economy faces unprecedented debt levels, soaring commodity prices and sliding home prices, to say nothing of a weak dollar. Despite the recent stabilization of the economy, some economists fear that the world will soon face the greatest financial crisis since the 1930s.

That analogy is hardly a perfect fit; there's almost no chance of another sequence like the Great Depression, where the stock market dove 80 percent, joblessness reached 25 percent, and the Great Plains became a dustbowl that forced hundreds of thousands of "Okies" to flee to California. But Americans should worry that the current unrest betokens the sort of global upheaval that upended previous leading world economic powers, most notably Britain.

More than 80 percent of Americans now say that we are on the wrong track, but many if not most still believe that the history of other nations is irrelevant -- that the United States is unique, chosen by God. So did all the previous world economic powers: Rome, Spain, the Netherlands (in the maritime glory days of the 17th century, when New York was New Amsterdam) and 19th-century Britain. Their early strength was also their later weakness, not unlike the United States since the 1980s.

There is a considerable literature on these earlier illusions and declines. Reading it, one can argue that imperial Spain, maritime Holland and industrial Britain shared a half-dozen vulnerabilities as they peaked and declined: a sense of things no longer being on the right track, intolerant or missionary religion, military or imperial overreach, economic polarization, the rise of finance (displacing industry) and excessive debt. So too for today's United States. .....(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...

WAIT FOR IT!!!...

MH1  (1000+ posts)       Sun May-18-08 12:32 PM
Response to Original message
1. The beginning of the end was December 12, 2000.
 Too bad so few people realized it at the time.

:rimshot:

QuestionAll  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-18-08 01:12 PM
Response to Reply #1
11. actually, january 21 1981 would be much more precise as a starting point for our end times.
 ronnie laid the foundation.

:sosad:

Joe Bacon  (1000+ posts)       Sun May-18-08 12:52 PM
6. America peaked in 1973
 We've been going downhill since the first oil embargo in October 1973.

:beathorse:

tularetom  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-18-08 01:50 PM
15. Within ten years they'll be scraping ronnie's name off all the
 roads, bridges, city halls, public buildings, airports and shithouses they fell all over themselves to put it on a few years ago.

Nobody will admit that they ever voted for the senile ol bastard.

:tool2:

I voted for him. It was my fist election I could vote in.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: ...and they call us crazy 'dooms-day' cultists?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
I count it a privilege to have been able to vote for President Reagan in 1984 and always will.

He had what you DUmbass,whining idiots never will and that was a deep respect for God,his country and his fellow man.
All you miseable bastards want is for someone to give you everything you desire without effort or responsibility on your part.

You will always be hopeless losers because that is the horizon you set your sights on.
Revel in your pathetic misery because no matter what may change in the world your lot in life never will. :bird:

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
I count it a privilege to have been able to vote for President Reagan in 1984 and always will.

He had what you DUmbass,whining idiots never will and that was a deep respect for God,his country and his fellow man.
All you miseable bastards want is for someone to give you everything you desire without effort or responsibility on your part.

You will always be hopeless losers because that is the horizon you set your sights on.
Revel in your pathetic misery because no matter what may change in the world your lot in life never will. :bird:

H5 for you my friend..... :clap:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Georgia Bulldog

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »

I second that! H5
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
1874-1965, British Statesman, Prime Minister

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

Ronald Reagan
40th US President, 1911-2004

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »

I second that! H5

Thirded!  H5!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:01 PM »
That analogy is hardly a perfect fit; there's almost no chance of another sequence like the Great Depression, where the stock market dove 80 percent

I remember another market fall just a few years ago that went just over 65%. Now I know the DUmbasses don't because it was under president clenis when the Nasdaq went from 5132 wiping out $5 trillion.  But you see, that was actually good because a lecherous, raping, democrat was in office.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »

QuestionAll  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-18-08 01:12 PM
Response to Reply #1
11. actually, january 21 1981 would be much more precise as a starting point for our end times.
 ronnie laid the foundation.

So, you were hoping Carter was re-elected?  :lmao:

What a ****ing dumbass.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 07:50:37 AM »
tularetom  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-18-08 01:50 PM
15. Within ten years they'll be scraping ronnie's name off all the
 roads, bridges, city halls, public buildings, airports and shithouses they fell all over themselves to put it on a few years ago.

Nobody will admit that they ever voted for the senile ol bastard.

And yet again a DUmmie lets us peek into their heart of heart to see the Stalinist mentality of the DUmp.

If it were up to them...they'd airbrush out all Republicans from any any photographs and remove any mention of them from school books just like they used to do in the Soviet Union.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn