Author Topic: "Profit" is not a necessity - a rant  (Read 2094 times)

Offline VivisMom

"Profit" is not a necessity - a rant
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »
EstimatedProphet   (1000+ posts)            Fri May-16-08 01:43 PM
Original message

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3296359

I was watching a backlogged recording of Oprah the other day - the Michael Moore episode - and they had a spokesliar for the health insurance oligarchy on. One of her points was that doctors have to make a profit.

WRONG!

Doctors have to make a LIVING, not a PROFIT. They are not the same. A living means they pay their expenses, take care of their bills, put food on their tables, raise their kids, etc. A profit means they make excess capital which can be reinvested somewhere.

One of the reasons Republicans have this country so screwed up is because they have changed and confused the meanings of words. This is another example. The average person doesn't understand the difference between making a living and making a profit anymore, so they hear dumbass statements like that and don't bat an eye. The health insurance thieves then get their false justifications made scot-free, and the end result is that we are once again argued into keeping a healthcare system that ensures people become ill, while the insurers take the public's money and run away with it. The distinction between profit and making a living may be a subtle difference, but it is still an important one. Everyone of course has to make a living, and no one wants to deny doctors that - even a luxurious living by the average person's standards. Saying that they have to make a profit is saying that they have to act so that their business expands and makes more money, instead of only breaking even on their expenses, which includes salary for the doctor and staff.

If we are ever to have the healthcare we need in this country, this is one of the ideas we will have to put to rest. socialized medicine doesn't mean that the doctors involved are required to live as poverty-stricken serfs, but making profits is for corporations and investors, and really doesn't have a place where people's health is on the line.

:confused:

Nobody needs to make a profit, but they certainly have the RIGHT to. What about it does this assclown not get?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: "Profit" is not a necessity - a rant
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
If we are ever to have the healthcare we need in this country, this is one of the ideas we will have to put to rest. socialized medicine doesn't mean that the doctors involved are required to live as poverty-stricken serfs, but making profits is for corporations and investors, and really doesn't have a place where people's health is on the line.

Yeah, that "capitalism" sucks.  The idea that someone (who, this idiot?) gets to determine what a "living" is has been so successful in paradises like Cuba, Russia, etc.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
No one needs a car. No one needs a home. No one needs a bicycle. No one needs a television. No one needs most things.

Hey DUmmie, I know where you can go to relieve yourself from your misery:

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »
Where will these amazing doctors so willing to sacrifice their lives for no reward be found?  Maybe they will come from the same place as the blockbuster movie stars who are willing to work for union scale.

Hey, DUmbasses!  Profits insure the strive for quality and quality insures the strive for profits.  In the industry of medicine you cannot remove one without removing the other.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
You ever see that DUmmy?
He AND his wife combined weigh over 1000 lbs.
The food business is making a HUGE profit on those two lardasses.

No...and now I don't think I want to.  :puke:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »
Without profit, where's the need for competition, which drives essentially all forms of innovation?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »
Teh Stoopid - it hurts!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »
I've seen their pics.

Any profits they make go straight to the belly.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
I'm reminded of what Adam Smith once wrote

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker
that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.”

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
What a bunch of idiocy from the group that considers themselves to be intellectually superior.

To make a living a business man must first make a profit..it doesn`t get any simpler then that.

Funny too they never seem to worry about the profits made by the trial lawyers (John Edwards) who have forced health care costs through the roof. ::)

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:05:48 PM »
A profit means they make excess capital which can be reinvested somewhere.
Which happens to be good for our economy...and also guarantees that they will pay hefty taxes.  No profits, lower taxes, DUmmies have to find work...you'd think they'd love excess capital.   :whatever:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »
It is only a necessity for doctors to the extent you want people to invest the huge amount of time and money it takes to become one, and to the extent you want to continue to sustain a Lotto-like personal injury civil justice system.  I don't believe the DUmmies have any sort of cogent approach on the first problem, and they love the second one since the American Trial Lawyers Association and its members are massive left-of-center donors. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 07:12:34 AM »
It is only a necessity for doctors to the extent you want people to invest the huge amount of time and money it takes to become one, and to the extent you want to continue to sustain a Lotto-like personal injury civil justice system.  I don't believe the DUmmies have any sort of cogent approach on the first problem, and they love the second one since the American Trial Lawyers Association and its members are massive left-of-center donors. 

Great post!

But can you name one issue where the DUmmies DO have a cogent approach to a solution?  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »
Doctors have to make a LIVING, not a PROFIT. They are not the same. A living means they pay their expenses, take care of their bills, put food on their tables, raise their kids, etc. A profit means they make excess capital which can be reinvested somewhere.

What are they suppose to do when it's time to retire? Oh,  live off of that comfortable income that social security promises... yeah right. I really wish I could talk to some of these people in person just to see the expressions on their faces when a view simple questions are asked that will allow them to elaborate further on their points of view.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
I think Liberalism isn't a necessity.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »

What are they suppose to do when it's time to retire? Oh,  live off of that comfortable income that social security promises... yeah right. I really wish I could talk to some of these people in person just to see the expressions on their faces when a view simple questions are asked that will allow them to elaborate further on their points of view.

FlaGator, you'd be back to losing IQ points . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »

EstimatedProphet   (1000+ posts)            Fri May-16-08 01:43 PM
Original message

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3296359

I was watching a backlogged recording of Oprah the other day - the Michael Moore episode - and they had a spokesliar for the health insurance oligarchy on. One of her points was that doctors have to make a profit.

WRONG!

Uh, no. a profit is:the monetary surplus left to a producer or employer after deducting wages, rent, cost of raw materials, etc., therefore, if a doctor is paying for his food and housing, it is with his PROFITS.
One of the reasons Republicans have this country so screwed up is because they have changed and confused the meanings of words.
Gee, it seems to me that it is the liberals who want to change the meaning of words, the word "is" for example, the word "Marriage" for a second...
This is another example. The average person doesn't understand the difference between making a living and making a profit anymore,
Oh, we do, it is just you liberal dipshits who have so many problems with plain English.
so they hear dumbass statements like that and don't bat an eye. The health insurance thieves then get their false justifications made scot-free, and the end result is that we are once again argued into keeping a healthcare system that ensures people become ill, while the insurers take the public's money and run away with it. The distinction between profit and making a living may be a subtle difference, but it is still an important one. Everyone of course has to make a living, and no one wants to deny doctors that - even a luxurious living by the average person's standards. Saying that they have to make a profit is saying that they have to act so that their business expands and makes more money, instead of only breaking even on their expenses, which includes salary for the doctor and staff.

:confused:

Nobody needs to make a profit, but they certainly have the RIGHT to. What about it does this assclown not get?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »

Great post!

But can you name one issue where the DUmmies DO have a cogent approach to a solution?  :-)

Well, no....   :-)

They certainly have some outright Leninist/Stalinist baby dictators in their ranks, a very few of them are nice enough as people but suffer from thinking with their emotions instead of their logic (assuming they have any); for instance, there are no doubt a very small number who are actually driven by compassion on the health care issue rather than what they see as a bonanza they can eventually chisel into (which is the position of the great majority of the li'l Commies).  Even the few driven mainly by sympathy and compassion, unfortunately, have absolutely no sound ideas on how their medical-care-as-a-public-utility could be established, remain viable, or deliver a standard of care acceptable to the patients.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »

FlaGator, you'd be back to losing IQ points . . .

It's not like I have a lot to spare anymore...
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 05:10:28 PM »
EstimatedProphet   (1000+ posts)            Fri May-16-08 01:43 PM
Original message

If I were the ranting type, I'd go on an "EstimatedProphet is not a necessity" one. I'm more of a reader than a ranter though. LOL

Health Care Is Not A Right
by Leonard Peikoff
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=9
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826