Author Topic: sparkling husband primitive installs new kitchen  (Read 1356 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
sparkling husband primitive installs new kitchen
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x6371

Oh my.

So the sparkling husband primitive's one of those evil landlords.

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue May-13-08 12:40 AM
Original message

So ..... we're closing in on the new kitchen in the rowhouse we're renovating and ...... BANG!

Sparkly and I were working in the kitchen on Saturday. The base cabinets were in place and I was doing the final plumbing from the rough-ins to the shut-offs. CPVC to brass shut-offs. I install it all. Two issues struck me as worrisome, but I (STUPIDLY) chose to ignore them.

The CPVC glue was a bit jellied (a sign it is past its useful life)

The nipple onto which I needed to put a third shut-off that feeds the hose bibb outdoors seems a bit too short.

But I press on. All is installed.

I go down to the water shut-off in the basement and turn it on. I then go around and turn off all the open faucets I had opened elsewhere to drain down the system.

I get back to the kitchen and open the shut-off to the outdoors. We have water again out there.

All seems well.

We move on to other work.

Thirty seconds later (less than three minutes from installing the fittings and turning on the house water) .....

*B*A*N*G*

The short nipple joint with the shitty glue lets loose.

Water is everywhere.

On the new laminate floors.

On the new maple cabinets.

On the freshly painted walls.

On the freshly painted ceiling.

On some of my tools.

On me.

Sparkly was spared (she had juuuuust stepped into the next room).

I race for the shut off.

Off, again!

We spend the next two hours sopping up water. Getting it up with the wet/dray shop vac. Using grout sponges. My shirt. A dust pan.

I spent the afternoon today redoing the repair. The floors were remarkably unaffected. The cabinets are fine. The ceiling and walls show no sign of water ever having hit them.

I was there for an hour after turning the water back on.

Not a drop.

But now I'm worried. I am imagining the water line blowing again. And running for days. And finding the basement a swimming pool.

This is the first real ****up we've had. I guess we're lucky.

I sure hope the pipe joint doesn';t fail again.

It won't will it?

I mean, it held for a full hour after I turned the water back on. That's a long enough test.

Isn't it?

Tell me it is.

Okay?

AZDemDist6  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue May-13-08 07:46 AM
Response to Original message

1. an hour should be fine as a test and if you hadn't had a major screw up at some point, you did something wrong. Murphy has to have his say somewhere, right?

be grateful it was just water and a few hours clean up. truly.

But I'd still drive by this morning to check

Wash. state Desk Jet  Donating Member  (795 posts) Tue May-13-08 10:21 PM
Response to Reply #1]

2. I had a valve pop on a dishwasher install

commercial installation in a commercial building. It happened when I pressurized the line. There was a phone call somewhere in between points. Below the office kitchen second level there was this brand new copy machine that I had to run the power for,required a 220 line. The machine is a five thousand dollar item. This is their copy room. By the time I got back upstairs the kitchen was flooded ,So I ran downstairs to the shut off. Drop ceilings both floors. Same clean up thing.

I had to replace ceiling panels on the first floor and was very lucky that there was no damage to the brand new equipment.

Shit happens ,it just does. Use it as a learning experience and move along with confidence. The glue, I find I have to make several trips to the hardware a day sometimes. But the pain in the ass trip to the store far out weighs that shit factor.

I don't except phone calls when I am doing plumbing or electrical work anymore ,same if using power tools!

Just a thought, what does it say on the directions on the can of glue? ! And leaving the top off for extended periods of time does that.

TheBorealAvenger  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu May-15-08 02:04 PM
Response to Original message

3. My buddy had water pressure so high, he could use the spray to strip rust

So he had a pressure reducer installed. Pressure is high in his neighborhood so "everybody" has a reducer. I wonder what it your system's pressure.

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu May-15-08 07:56 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. The system's pressure is quite within the normal range

This catastrophe was **entirely** of my own making. I knowingly used questionable glue and a questionably short pipe nipple. No one to blame but my own damned self.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: sparkling husband primitive installs new kitchen
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »
Husb2Sparkly is slipping.  Didn't blame Bush, Cheney or the BFEE.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »
Husb2Sparkly is slipping.  Didn't blame Bush, Cheney or the BFEE.

That's why I posted this; this is highly irregular.

In fact, the sparkling husband primitive even put the blame where it belongs.

It startled me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
The nipple onto which I needed to put a third shut-off that feeds the hose bibb outdoors seems a bit too short.

SLAPP (Sounds Like A Personal Problem)

:lmao:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »
They have money to remodel a kitchen in this * economy???? And renovating a rowhouse no less? My my.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:53:16 PM »
They have money to remodel a kitchen in this * economy???? And renovating a rowhouse no less? My my.

Why are they wasting their money on their own selfish interests?  REAL liberals don't need anything other than "a decent living" which sure as hell doesn't include a kitchen remodel.

That money should be going to take care of the poor.  How many meals could be paid for by this wretched excess?????
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
Let's hope they are renovating it so homeless people will have a place to stay :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
Now, who didn't earn a living wage so that sparkly and her wife could remodel their kitchen?  :fuelfire: