Author Topic: primitive gets leg pulled  (Read 1367 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive gets leg pulled
« on: May 14, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3283692

Oh my.

ensho  (764 posts) Wed May-14-08 01:05 PM
Original message

was my leg being pulled?

re: mosquitoe spray trucks

I was told that chemicals are not used anymore. that a special kind of dirt that has certain kinds of microbes in it is imported. the microbes put into the water and then sprayed. it supposedly makes it impossible for the mosquitoe to reproduce.

the person got angry when I asked if my leg was being pulled.

special dirt?!

hedgehog  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed May-14-08 01:09 PM
Original message

Bt granules?

http://www.arbico-organics.com/1211150.html

ensho  (764 posts) Wed May-14-08 01:15 PM
Response to Original message

4. thank you for info

notadmblnd  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed May-14-08 01:09 PM

1. never heard of it. Just put up a bat house

I love to watch bats come out at dusk. Sometimes I sit in my driveway and count them. they eat lots and lots and lots of mosquitoes and their guano is a very good fertilizer, plus it's all organic.

Hmmm.  franksolich suspects antique swine manure has better fertilizing qualities than raw bat shit.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed May-14-08 01:11 PM

2. Your leg was being pulled

A quick Google turned up "synthetic pyrethroids" as the chemical used in the spray. Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide produced by a species of daisy used as a companion plant by organic gardeners.

Either this person was putting you on or he needs some education. Here's your ammo.

ensho  (764 posts) Wed May-14-08 01:14 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. thank you kindly

The unshoed primitive is rather courteous and polite.

I don't think the unshoed primitive is for long on Skins's island.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: primitive gets leg pulled
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:58:33 PM »
Hmmm.  franksolich suspects antique swine manure has better fertilizing qualities than raw bat shit.

If batshit was a proper fertilizer the DUmmies would have 40' corn stalks growing out of their crazy.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »

If batshit was a proper fertilizer the DUmmies would have 40' corn stalks growing out of their crazy.

In truth is giant stalks of corn.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
notadmblnd  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed May-14-08 01:09 PM

1. never heard of it. Just put up a bat house. That's what I did since I love to watch bats come out at dusk. Of course with the bats swooping at the neighbor's kids and pets, it drives them nuts. I don't care since they are fundi * supporters.
Sometimes I sit in my driveway and share Shakka and violate light with them. It seems we have a ancestral connection and that stands to reason since I have had visions of flying high on wings of gold while having a strong penchant for cow blood.
Another thing I like about bats is they eat lots and lots and lots of mosquitoes and their guano is a very good fertilizer, plus it's all organic. I have a bat guano box setup for them too. Some of them are even trained to use the bat guano box to deposit their 'herb' in. Let me tell you, organic bat guano gives one of the most compelling, satisfying, and pleasurable highs I have ever had. Just a pinch between the cheek and the gum and life is all good!

fixed
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
Hmmm well, the DUmmie's leg MAY not have been pulled and may in fact have been told the truth.  I was in pest control with Terminix for 4 years and learned about this stuff;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Diatomaceous earth (pronounced /ˌdaɪətəˈmeɪʃəs ˈɝθ/), also known as DE, TSS, diatomite, diahydro, kieselguhr, kieselgur and celite) is a naturally occurring, soft, chalk-like sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silica, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron.

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.

[edit] Pest control
Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the cuticle, the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation. This material has wide application in control of insects of grain storage.

Among the disadvantages of using diatomaceous earth for pest control include the health risk to humans (see below), and that it is harmful to the many insects that are beneficial to gardens, including predatory beetles and bugs and many detritivores.

But, since DUmmie's know everything I could be totally wrong.  I had a client who used this stuff .... she also used nematodes and espoused the virtues of everything organic.  Funny thing was, we still did her pest control!   :lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »

A quick Google turned up "synthetic pyrethroids" as the chemical used in the spray. Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide produced by a species of daisy used as a companion plant by organic gardeners.

Either this person was putting you on or he needs some education. Here's your ammo.

Gawd DU has experts at everything. Actually, genius, it's a species of the chrysanthemum plant. It's used in flea and fly control as well. And just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's less toxic. In the case of pyrethrin/pyrethoids, the synthetic version is LESS toxic to humans and animals than the natural one while being MORE toxic to insects. In fact pyrethrin is SO toxic it's restricted use and can only be purchased by certified companies. The companies that make your (or your pet's) flea shampoo for example. They dilute it to levels less toxic to humans and animals. All this information was available free on the Internet from my local extension service from a cooperative study conducted by several extension offices around the country.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »

Gawd DU has experts at everything. Actually, genius, it's a species of the chrysanthemum plant. It's used in flea and fly control as well. And just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's less toxic. In the case of pyrethrin/pyrethoids, the synthetic version is LESS toxic to humans and animals than the natural one while being MORE toxic to insects. In fact pyrethrin is SO toxic it's restricted use and can only be purchased by certified companies. The companies that make your (or your pet's) flea shampoo for example. They dilute it to levels less toxic to humans and animals. All this information was available free on the Internet from my local extension service from a cooperative study conducted by several extension offices around the country.

Cindie

Milady, the effort that you put into finding that stuff out--mere minutes, probably--is time that takes the DUmmies away from scraping up enough money to score their next bag of weed.  That's why they didn't do that.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:13:12 AM »
The way DE was explained to me was that it gets onto the legs of bugs when they walk through it. Cockroaches and such, actually being clean bugs groom themselves and ingest it. The diatoms being flat 2, 3 or six sided with sharp edges slice up the bugs entrails and they bleed out. A nice horrid death :-)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »

Is that from Walt Whitman?  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies