Author Topic: Liberals all about forgiveness and rehabilitation until they think you're WAISIS  (Read 456 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
CatWoman (66,329 posts)

View profile

George Zimmerman wants meeting with Martin family
SANFORD -- George Zimmerman wants to meet with Trayvon Martin's parents.

During a one-on-one interview Wednesday, attorney Mark O'Mara revealed Zimmerman wants to meet with the family of the 17-year-old he shot and killed in February.

O'Mara did not explain why his client wants the meeting, but said is that if it were to happen, it would be private -- just Zimmerman and Trayvon's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton.

"I've talked a couple of times about the conversation that, hopefully, will occur directly to the Martin family, a private conversation," said O'Mara. "To the community, I think he would just say don't prejudge him."

The United Negro Cooptation Fund retorts:

Bake (18,790 posts)
1. Why would they possibly want to meet with the man who murdered their son?

View profile
The man who has, since then, lied about what happened?

The only reason I can think of is so they can spit in his face. But I think they are too good to do that.

Bake

cindyperry2010 (318 posts)
3. So i guess he thinks that

View profile
this will make it all go away if he says sorry? asshole

Say, anyone remember the DU demigod and cause celebre known as Tookie Williams? H2OMan should...

H2O Man Donating Member (1000+ posts)

Wed Nov-30-05 08:33 PM

120. "The future depends on what we do today." -Gandhi

In the 1958 book "The Human Condition," author Hannah Arendt notes that, "The freedom contained in Jesus' teaching of forgiveness is the freedom from vengence, which encloses both doer and sufferer in the relentless automatism of the action process, which by itself need never come to an end." (page 241) Is it possible that we can apply this thought to the case at hand? Could we even take it a step farther, and look at some of the hatred being expressed by a few DUers towards Mr. Williams, which includes their continued hostility towards the efforts of those on DU looking to save Tookie's life?

In his 1964 book "Gandhi on Non-Violence," Thomas Merton writes, "It is no accident that Hitler believed firmly in the unforgivableness of sin.This is indeed fundamental to the whole mentality of Nazism, and its avidity for final solutions and its concern that all uncertainties be eliminated. Hitler's world was built on the central dogma of the irreversibility of evil ...." (page 12)

Merton continues with an examination of St. Thomas Aquinas's views on evil. He viewed evil as real, and recognized that it was necessary to confront it. But he knew it could be overcome, even healed, and built upon. Aquinas noted that there were characteristics common to those who could not forgive, which make them remarkably similar to the sinners they hate. In "Summa Theologica," he notes "the mood of Nemesis" that "rejoices in the belief that others justly suffer and grieves when good comes to the unworthy." That sounds strangely similar to some of the ugly things one DUer has recently posted on this thread.

In Haudenosaunee (or Six Nations Iroquois Confederacy) culture, there is a position on the Grand Council of Chiefs that is known as "the chief of chiefs." This man serves as Tadodaho. In the actual history of the Iroquois, the first Tadodaho was a brutal man, a cruel man who boiled and ate the victims of his rage. The prophet known as the PeaceMaker eventually was able to comb the hatred from his mind. Just as Merton and Aquinas taught, an evil person could become healed, and could offer good to society.

A few years ago, my good friend Rubin Carter told an audience at the State University in Binghamton, NY, that everyone who hates their brother is a murderer. He was paraphrasing 1 John, 3:15. It's the quote that Merton selected to begin his book with. Small world.

We need to move beyond hatred. Bitterness consumes the vessel that contains it, the Hurricane told that audience in Binghamton. Reading this thread, and a couple of the hateful messages, shows how true that is. I appreciate how hard it can be to get by the pain that violent criminals inflict on the families and friends of their victims. But we need to take a little time to decide what direction we want our country to move in: the Hitler/Nazi direction, where the government decides what people should be killed? Or the Gandhi/Merton direction, where we attempt to heal societies' wounds, and transform peoples' lives?

Please call the governor. Thank you.

And Tookie was a CONVICTED MURDERER. Zimmerman is merely ACCUSED of a crime.

DU: keeping racial discord alive for as long as humanly possible since 2001.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:41:47 AM by BannedFromDU »
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline jukin

Self proclaimed Liberals are the most bigoted people I know.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Self proclaimed Liberals are the most bigoted people I know.
Yes, but they selfishly cling to it, when they're not projecting it.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
Bake (18,790 posts)
1. Why would they possibly want to meet with the man who murdered their son?

View profile
The man who has, since then, lied about what happened?

The only reason I can think of is so they can spit in his face. But I think they are too good to do that.

Bake
Got any proof of that DUmmy?
Funny how you are so quick to judge a minority. Tisk tisk!

Why do I have a feeling that this will not go over well. Zimmerman may keep what went on in the meeting to himself but you know Martin's parents will go running to the press as soon as it's over.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Kyle Ricky

Martins mom and lawyer said that they don't believe this was a case of race and that they don't hold any grudges towards Zimmerman. They just want to the judicial system to work itself out. I think if anything, Zimmerman wants to meet with them to apologize for what he did, and explain his side of the story. The liberals who already convicted him will of course see it differently. That is there nature to be bigots and hypocrites.

Martins mom is very religious. She said she has been praying daily about this, and seeking Gods guidance. She is a smart woman.