Author Topic: primitive has Volkswagen question  (Read 931 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive has Volkswagen question
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=310x676

Oh man.

Walking into the automotive forum on Skins's island, and one gets attacked by.....cobwebs.

yy4me  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-23-06 08:18 AM
Original message
VW door exchange, how can I tell if one year will fit another?

My trusty 1989 Golf was front ended in the parking lot at work and of course, whoever did it took off. It did damage to the front end that is not worth fixing. I bought a 1992 Jetta from a local private party after having it checked out by my mechanic. His words were that it was in great shape and a lot of car for little money. It has one problem. Can't miss it. Front drivers side door has a nasty crush. The old owners daughter slid into a tree while driving on an icy road.

My Question. Any way to find out if VW made the same door for a 1992 Jetta as for a 1989 Golf? Both are 4 door. I have both now and they look the same. Before I call the charity to take my old car away, I need to know if I can use the same non-rusty door and have it painted. Would be much cheaper for me. Thanks in advance.

Almost two years, and only one primitive offered any help.

One thought the primitives prided themselves in helping people.

benEzra  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-23-06 10:07 AM
Response to Original message

1. Hmmm. A local salvage yard *might* be able to tell you, or they might not. Hard to say.

You could try taking detailed measurements of door length, height, thickness, hinge/latch locations, etc. and see if that rules it out. If they appear by measurement to be the same, you could take your crushed door off and see if the new door fits.

How close are the interior colors and such? If you get lucky and the doors *are* identical, you might be able to pull your interior trim panels from the crushed door and install them on the replacment door.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lacarnut

Re: primitive has Volkswagen question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
I guess it never occured to the dummie to go to the VW parts dept. and inquire instead of asking a bunch of dimwits.

Offline Miss Mia

Re: primitive has Volkswagen question
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
I guess it never occured to the dummie to go to the VW parts dept. and inquire instead of asking a bunch of dimwits.

Too logical!

Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."