Author Topic: Country music superstar Eddy Arnold dies at 89  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Country music superstar Eddy Arnold dies at 89
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:50:03 AM »
Country music superstar Eddy Arnold dies at 89

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - entertainmentminute Eddy Arnold, whose mellow baritone on songs like "Make the World Go Away" made him one of the most successful country singers in history, died Thursday morning, days short of his 90th birthday.

Arnold died at a care facility near Nashville, said Don Cusic, a professor at Belmont University and author of the biography "Eddy Arnold: I'll Hold You in My Heart." His wife of 66 years, Sally, had died in March, and in the same month, Arnold fell outside his home, injuring his hip.

Arnold's vocals on songs like the 1965 "Make the World Go Away," one of his many No. 1 country hits and a top 10 hit on the pop charts, made him one of the most successful country singers in history.

Folksy yet sophisticated, he became a pioneer of "The Nashville Sound," also called "countrypolitan," a mixture of country and pop styles. His crossover success paved the way for later singers such as Kenny Rogers.

"I sing a little country, I sing a little pop and I sing a little folk, and it all goes together," he said in 1970.

He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1966. The following year he was the first person to receive the entertainer of the year award from the Country Music Association.

The reference book "Top Country Singles 1944-1993,'" by Joel Whitburn, ranked Arnold the No. 1 country singer in terms of overall success on the Billboard country charts. It lists his first No. 1 hit as "What Is Life Without Love," 1947, and for the following year ranks his "Bouquet of Roses" as the biggest country hit of the entire year.

Other hits included "Cattle Call," "The Last Word in Lonesome Is Me," "Anytime," "Bouquet of Roses," "What's He Doing in My World?" "I Want to Go With You," "Somebody Like Me," "Lonely Again" and "Turn the World Around."

MORE

Condolences and prayers for his family and friends.  He is truely a legend in country music.   
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Country music superstar Eddy Arnold dies at 89
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
I read about this earlier.  It is one time I can say with all sincerity I thought he was already long dead. 

RIP, Eddy.  Now you can make the world go away.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »
RIP. I remember when they used to play his music on one of the local AM stations out of Omaha that is now the local Talk Radio station.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »
RIP.

I always got him and Jim Reeves mixed up on the radio. They sounded the same. :whistling:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.