Author Topic: DU for lurkers: "DUmmieland," "Skins's island"  (Read 885 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
DU for lurkers: "DUmmieland," "Skins's island"
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
The most popular name for DemocraticUnderground--that is, the most popular name off my fellow alum's island--is "DUmmieland," whose origins are obvious.

The word has been around a long time, probably since circa mid-2001, but was popularized across the internet by P-J Comix's most-excellent DUmmie FUnnies on freerepublic.

"Skins's island," which is synonymous with "DUmmieland," was coined in late 2007, and is derived from "Skinner," the CEO of DemocraticUnderground, "Skins" having ostensibly been his nickname while playing rugby at Yale; and of course, "Skins's island" dovetails in nicely with the image of the DUmmies being primitives on a lonely island somewhere out in the vast seas.

Both terms are equally appropriate for use in all circumstances, but generally, "DUmmieland" is used when one gets the impression of Skins's island as some sort of fantasyland, wonderland, wolkenkuckucksheim, dreamland.

And, generally, "Skins's island" is used when one gets the impression of DUmmieland as being inhabited by cruel barbaric violent bloodthirsty savages and beasts who understand nothing but the lash.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Re: DU for lurkers: "DUmmieland," "Skins's island"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
H5, frank...you have done yeoman's work studying the DUmmies.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Amityschild

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Saved by Grace
Re: DU for lurkers: "DUmmieland," "Skins's island"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »
H5, frank...you have done yeoman's work studying the DUmmies.

Cindie

Frank, I hope there is no permanent damage!
"100 per cent of us die, and the percentage cannot be increased."
--C.S. Lewis   _______________________________________
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain