Author Topic: Conservatives Happier Than Liberals == Ignorance is Bliss?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline tuolumnejim

I just love it when libtards get a burning sensation.  :rotf: :lmao:

Link

Tarc  (1000+ posts)       Wed May-07-08 02:51 PM
Original message
Conservatives Happier Than Liberals == Ignorance is Bliss?
 That's really the only sensible interpretation to take from reports like this;

Conservatives Happier Than Liberals

Individuals with conservative ideologies are happier than liberal-leaners, and new research pinpoints the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.

Regardless of marital status, income or church attendance, right-wing individuals reported greater life satisfaction and well-being than left-wingers, the new study found. Conservatives also scored highest on measures of rationalization, which gauge a person's tendency to justify, or explain away, inequalities.

The rationalization measure included statements such as: "It is not really that big a problem if some people have more of a chance in life than others," and "This country would be better off if we worried less about how equal people are."

To justify economic inequalities, a person could support the idea of meritocracy, in which people supposedly move up their economic status in society based on hard work and good performance. In that way, one's social class attainment, whether upper, middle or lower, would be perceived as totally fair and justified.

If your beliefs don't justify gaps in status, you could be left frustrated and disheartened, according to the researchers, Jaime Napier and John Jost of New York University. They conducted a U.S.-centric survey and a more internationally focused one to arrive at the findings.

"Our research suggests that inequality takes a greater psychological toll on liberals than on conservatives," the researchers write in the June issue of the journal Psychological Science, "apparently because liberals lack ideological rationalizations that would help them frame inequality in a positive (or at least neutral) light."

Essentially, conservatives are a-ok with inequality, as that's just he breaks of life so they are happier overall. Liberals see inequality as a problem, as something to address and remedy, and are therefore less happy.

A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Conservatives Happier Than Liberals == Ignorance is Bliss?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04:59 AM »
A conservative's mind is realistic and honest with a deep and humble appreciation for being born in the most dynamic and free nation the world has ever known. 

A liberal's mind is a constant morass of mangled distortions constantly busy trying to destroy the natural order of freedom and hide reality in an effort to force a known failed ideology on as many people as possible while dismantling this free nation which stands in the way of their goals.

Gee, I wonder who is happier?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
Being angry and full of angst doesn't make you a deep person, which is what those miserable people think.  Being happy is not a crime, which Liberals would love to make it a crime if they could.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
The study didn’t even come close to getting it right about why conservatives are happy and liberals are miserable.  Let’s see a show of hands of those who care if they ever get it right?

None.

That’s what I figured.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »
They're always over-analyzing and looking for a way to justify their misery. If their analysis every led to any real self-realization and change it'd be worth the effort. Instead, it becomes a rant-filled, whiny echo-chamber. On the bright side, I'm glad they don't see what total embarrassments they are because if I'm having a bad day I just read any random thread at DU and instantly realize things aren't so awful afterall.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »
Conservatives worry about what is really important..."Don't sweat the little stuff, it's all little stuff".

Libs worry about everything.  Remember how they get pissed if they have to show a receipt before leaving a store?   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
Conservative do and achieve. That makes us happy. Living off others will always eat you alive.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »
If conservatives tend to justify inequality to themselves and liberals see it as a problem then how come conservatives give lots more money and volunteer time to charitable organizations than liberals do. To any lurking libs out there, volunteering for a presidental political campaign does not count as real volunteer work. That is call working and not being intelligent enough to expect to get paid for it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »
Conservatives tend to avoid situations and circumstances that cause themselves trouble.
Most conservatives are not afraid to work, avoid abusing mind alterning substances, have a purpose to their lives and have established a sense of what constitutes good and bad behaviors.  Liberals seem to complain about work, are more apt to experiment with drugs, have no purpose to their lives except to whine and complain and are always pushing the envelope when it comes to what is right and wrong.  Liberals also seem to envy those that have accomplished something via hard work.  Envious people are always bitter.  Whoever funded this study wasted their money...a simple monitoring of DU would have yielded the same conclusion.   :-)

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:29:32 PM »
Water is Wet

The Sky is blue

Fire is Hot

Ice is cold

Hillary is a man

Michael Moore is fat

Vida Guerra got a big ole booty

...and now this duh study.

:lmao: :hyper: :whatever: