Author Topic: Boom Fuels Oil Field Talent Search  (Read 2334 times)

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Boom Fuels Oil Field Talent Search
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/11/15/boom-fuels-oil-field-talent-search/

While the job picture remains stagnant nationwide, the boom in domestic shale drilling has pushed hiring to a feverish pace in North American oil fields.

A staffing crunch has caused the industry’s salaries to surge and recruiters to embrace new tactics in search of the narrow pool of candidates who have the skills to work and manage the technical and gritty world of oil field services.

In recent months, the companies that supply drilling equipment and crews for oil fields have announced plans to expand their payrolls significantly. In September, Baker Hughes said that it would add 2,000 U.S. workers this year to its global payroll of 53,000. Halliburton says it’s on track to bring 12,000 new North American employees on board.

But even with national unemployment at a stubborn 9 percent, finding the people to fill all of those roles hasn’t been easy, said Dane Groeneveld, North America regional director for NES Group, a staffing and recruitment consulting firm

<excerpted>

Meanwhile, our president rejects a pipeline in the same area.

More at link.......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Boom Fuels Oil Field Talent Search
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »
I get e-mails for oil patch jobs.  It's amazing how jobs go begging, BEGGING, for qualified people.

If you don't mind doing 7 on/7 off or such on a rig, it's not a bad gig.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
Just got a job at National Oilwell Varco, building oil well equipment. It looks like 60 hr weeks the rest of the year.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
Just got a job at National Oilwell Varco, building oil well equipment. It looks like 60 hr weeks the rest of the year.
Congratulations.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »

Good for you. :cheersmate:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
Outstanding, Rick! Lotsa OT equals lotsa $$.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
It's the tax's, I always get killed with the tax's.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
It's the tax's, I always get killed with the tax's.

You ain't alone. Not at all.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
I just filed my taxes.

You don't even wanna know.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 01:10:43 AM »
Where's Airwolf. This should increase demand for his helo services.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Meanwhile, our president rejects a pipeline in the same area.

More at link.......

doc

Did he reject the pipeline though or an unfinished plan?

As to the thread, the surging needs of workers has been going on for a number of years now.  Especially in the Alberta/Dakota areas.  Last year there was even a few news stories of secondary industries and even more distant companies becoming effected by the labor shortage.  There was even a number of mere McDonalds offering $17-20 an hour if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:45:10 PM by Gratiot »

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
Did he reject the pipeline though or an unfinished plan?

After three years of "studies" he decided that more time and "studies" were needed to build a pipeline through an area that has hundreds of existing pipelines.....he's just kissing the posteriors of his radical environmental base faction......who, BTW. contribute a large sum of cash to his campaign coffers.

On the practical side.......the ONLY way in which the president (or the executive branch in general) can get involved in a pipeline decision is if it crosses the border into another country.......had the planners started the construction solely within US borders, he would have no say one way or the other......they could have waited until a more oil-friendly president was elected to complete the few hundred feet of line that runs across the border.

doc

Confucius

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
Anyone want to go to Saudi with me?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »
Anyone want to go to Saudi with me?

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt......

However, the Saudi Interior Minister is an aquaintence of mine, if you need assistance in that area, I can likely open some doors.......

doc

Confucius

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt......

However, the Saudi Interior Minister is an aquaintence of mine, if you need assistance in that area, I can likely open some doors.......

doc

Saudi Amarco often advertises (hell, CONSTANTLY advertises) jobs for Relay Technicians, which is right up my alley.  I've heard that the salary is quite good (but that could be BS too) but that the work hours are quite long and that the Saudis only let foreigners work there for a few years, tops.

That and Scoobie might (would) kill me.  If I knew more facts about the job, etc., who knows?  Making enough to retire (house paid, no bills, money set aside) before I'm 55 would be nice.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
Saudi Amarco often advertises (hell, CONSTANTLY advertises) jobs for Relay Technicians, which is right up my alley.  I've heard that the salary is quite good (but that could be BS too) but that the work hours are quite long and that the Saudis only let foreigners work there for a few years, tops.

That and Scoobie might (would) kill me.  If I knew more facts about the job, etc., who knows?  Making enough to retire (house paid, no bills, money set aside) before I'm 55 would be nice.

We lived in Jeddah for two years, which was the maximum at that time, however we became friendly with several members of the Royal Family, and were offered a permanent residence visa (which is nearly unheard of for westerners).

I can tell some hilarius stories about experiences/occurrences during our stay.......I posted the "leaking piano" story years ago over at CU, and cracked everyone up.......which was only one of many......it had its good points. 

We passed on the permanent visa......the  company that I worked for was a very large one, and Saudi was considered "hardship duty", which meant that the pay was not only fabulous, but entirely tax-free, and the company provided plush housing, frequent paid (including transportation and hotels) R & R trips out of the country (we usually went to Israel, Lebanon, Italy or Greece)......plus our kids were educated free in diplomatic corps schools.....financially it was very good for us, but despite the fact that it was very luxurious, living in a "compound" behind 20 foot walls, was still (at least for the wives) like being in prison......

If we had it to do over, with hindsight being 20-20, we'd probably do it again.......if for no other reason than we made some friends that are Saudis, which we keep in touch with, as well as acquaintances throughout the Middle East which gives us a lot of insight into what is going on over there, and a different view of world affairs.......it was definitely a learning experience.......

doc

Confucius