Author Topic: Cops and guns....again.  (Read 2032 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Cops and guns....again.
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
edited to add the link to DUmmieland
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3250993

JPZenger  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 11:49 AM
Original message
Cop's death reignites fuse on controlling assault rifles
 Advertisements [?]

www.philly.com Philadelphia Inquirer

"NOBODY KNOWS more about the gruesome carnage caused by five blasts from a
Chinese-made SKS assault rifle
than Thomas Krajewski Sr., the Port Richmond man who cradled Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski as the cop lay dying outside his home Saturday. "There is absolutely no reason that anyone should be carrying around military-style assault weapons," he said. "I mean, we saw what a weapon like that did to a human body. I mean, I own guns and my sons and I hunt as well, but I don't have assault rifles or anything. There's no need for it."

"They are very cheap, selling for $100 to $300," said Tony Robbins, assistant special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives here. "There's a ton of them out there. They can lay some heavy firepower. We see them periodically being used by street gangs and drug organizations. It's a pretty menacing gun."

After an SKS was used to kill a police officer in Ceres, Calif., two years ago, the Washington-based Violence Policy Center said that federal authorities have identified the weapon as "the rifle model most frequently encountered by law-enforcement officers." Yet despite that, the SKS was not among 19 weapons prohibited in a 1994 federal ban on certain kinds of assault rifles. That law expired in 2004 under President Bush and the then-GOP-controlled Congress. The SKS has been included in several federal bills aimed at renewing the ban, but all those measures have failed.

What's more, Robbins noted that the ATF was able to trace the SKS rifle used to gun down Liczbinski to a gun show in Fayettville, N.C. He said that because it had been bought at a gun show, the owner did not have to undergo a background check - another proposal that's been blocked by the gun lobby."

now the SKS is a rifle with an internal 10 round mag. Not quiet what I would call an assault rifle, however...

villager  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 11:50 AM
Response to Original message
1. Don't worry, the gun droids on this list will bleat their outrage over the idea that *any* weapon
 ...should be kept off the streets, any background check performed at gun shows, etc...

It's that damm 'rights' in the constitution thingy again...

NightWatcher  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 11:59 AM
Response to Reply #2
4. you mean those who dont know the dif between a semi automatic and a full auto?
 not saying anything about any poster in this thread, but I have read some woefully incorrect info put out about guns by people who are anti gun. Is it bias or ignorance?

Learn the issue before debating the issue.

never argue logic with a DUmmie. It doesn't solve anything, and it just turns to stupidity anyway...

villager  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 12:03 PM
Response to Reply #2
6. let's try arguing *this* case. Should the gun used to blow apart the cop's body
 ...have been sold, w/o a background check, at a gun show?

Yes? Or No?

It's quite simple. You believe one, or the other.

krispos42  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 12:10 PM
Response to Reply #6
10. It's a bullshit question, unanswerable
 Because it depends on WHO sold the rifle at the gun show, not the geographic coordinates that the sale took place at.

Gun shows dont' sell anything except table space and (sometimes) refreshments. A gun show is a temporary mall housing independent vendors.

Background checks depend on whether the vendor selling the gun are federally-licensed dealers operating a for-profit business.

And since nearly all gun-selling vendors at any given gun show are federally-licenced dealers, the issue is largely irrelevent.

again with the logic. this will only turn out badly...

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 01:03 PM
Response to Reply #10
14. In other words, you are refusing to answer the question
 How about this - the gun that killed the police officer in the OP - should it be on the streets? If yes, why? What purpose does that gun fill?

Do you mean that one particular (single/ serial numbered) rifle? But I know you are talking about a whole class of weapons...

krispos42  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 01:26 PM
Response to Reply #14
21. I can't answer the question when I don't know who sold the gun in the first place
 They traced it back to a gun show TEN YEARS AGO.

Now, the fact that they can trace it back that far leads me to believe that the person selling it at the gun show was a federally-licenced dealer who is required to keep written records for I believe 20 years. And the gunshow dealer bought it from another licensed dealer who got it from ANOTHER licenced dealer who got it from a firearms importer. The chain of known custody was unbroken until the sale at the gun show. And since the sale at the gun show was on record, it was almost certainly by a federally-licenced dealer that sold it to a customer AFTER performing the mandatory federal background check.

So, making the assumption that it was in fact sold by a federally licenced dealer, then yes, a background check SHOULD have been performed at the point of sale.

And, no, the gun should not be on the streets. It should be in people's homes, or at shooting ranges, or hunting grounds. But not carried on the streets, no.

the DUmmie gun lover continues to use logic...to no use, of course...

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 01:43 PM
Response to Reply #21
23. I will repeat my question:
 The gun that killed the police officer in the OP - should it be on the streets? If yes, why? What purpose does that gun fill?

**** the second amendment!

DadOf2LittleAngels (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 02:16 PM
Response to Reply #32
37. Why should a person need any gun
 as any gun can kill
or a blade over say 10 inches who *really* needs that they can kill
Only baseball player need a bat, you can kill with those
Only licensed and vetted tree removal services need chainsaws those can kill
Tasers can kill I guess we should not let women carry stunner's in their purse

--

Logic kills.

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:21 PM
Response to Reply #37
42. Hunters need guns
 Police officers need guns. Can't think of anyone else who needs a gun. 

I would imagine that when we round p2blib up and play her/him/it in the camps, she'll/he'll/it'll be wanting that gun...

krispos42  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:48 PM
Response to Reply #58
73. How about the gov't dictating how you need to express your freedom of speech?
 I take you support the government dictating that your percieved need to exercise free speech can be done in this Free Speech Zone?

How about the government dictating that you have to eat in a clean domestic kitchen and to cook in that kitchen you need to be certified in food handling and your kitchen inspected at least once a year?

logic- useless at DU

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:27 PM
Response to Reply #47
51. A lot of people still hunt for their food in this country

wait...isn't that a complete turn around in your position?

DadOf2LittleAngels (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 02:36 PM
Response to Reply #51
62. Really?
 Well I dont see why they should have special rights, after all those guns can kill people...

reverse logic still has no effect on DU...

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:41 PM
Response to Reply #62
67. Of course they can
 But if they are used responsibly, they don't kill people. Of course, if you want to ban guns used for hunting because they do kill people, I am sure you will find some supporters right here on DU.

Now please explain why assault weapons are needed. What is their purpose? I know hunters don't use them.

We should just ban the guns that kill people...

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:29 PM
Response to Reply #45
55. You need a rifle like that for self-defense?
 Who are you defending yourself from? 

the same ******* shitheads who shot the cop, for example...

aikoaiko (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 02:39 PM
Response to Reply #55
63. People who ould do me or my loved ones grave harm. 
 Edited on Tue May-06-08 02:39 PM by aikoaiko
A carbine length rifle with an intermediate powered cartridge like the SKS is an excellent means of self-defense when concealing it or over-penetration through walls is not an issue. A carbine rifle really is better than a shotgun or handgun for self-defense in many situations. An SKS also makes a good trunk gun for various reasons.

Despite what the fear mongers would have you believe, the SKS is just a rifle that is not much different from any other semi-auto hunting rifle.

Its just a tool in the tool box of being prepared in life. One hopes one never has to use it in a life or death situation, but one wants it around and be skilled at using it if one needs it. Much like CPR or using a defibrillator or having life insurance.

I am sensing this logical arguement will also fail...

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:43 PM
Response to Reply #65
69. But by killing him you ARE being the judge, jury, and executioner

:thatsright:

olefty (38 posts)       Tue May-06-08 01:03 PM
Response to Reply #6
15. let's trying arguing this........................
 The constitution should or should not be abridged. It's quite simple, yes or no, you believe the constitution should be used for toilet paper.

******* freeper troll!!!

villager  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-06-08 01:48 PM
Response to Reply #22
26. or a thread reader, apparently! The one repeatedly posted....
 ...about whether the particular gun, used to make the cop's family fatherless, should've been on the streets? sold under the conditions it was?

Yes? Or No?

(snarky pointless emoticon here)

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDdddd....so close...

coriolis (377 posts)      Tue May-06-08 01:24 PM
Response to Original message
19. Here's a story on the perp with a picture and $123,000 reward
 http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/18577419.html

it delves into stupidity, of course...

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Cops and guns....again.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
I'll tell ya what, DUmb****s . . . my father has an SKS.  The day that it gets itself up, loads itself, then shoots someone is the day I want it banned.  Unless that happens, **** off.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
I have an SKS and hubby has an SKS and as far as I know they haven't killed anyone.  Of course our's are not Chinese made.  Chinese stuff is always killing Americans so maybe that is why that SKS did.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »
proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:21 PM
Response to Reply #37
42. Hunters need guns
 Police officers need guns. Can't think of anyone else who needs a gun. 

Hey proud2blooney, I own and carry guns not because I need to but because I can!
When the day comes that you commie pricks win and I can no longer own and carry a firearm, this will be the precise time I will NEED to own and carry a gun.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-06-08 02:43 PM
Response to Reply #65
69. But by killing him you ARE being the judge, jury, and executioner

Say the same to the baby you just sucked from your womb and tossed down the garbage disposal.

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
I'll tell ya what, DUmb****s . . . my father has an SKS.  The day that it gets itself up, loads itself, then shoots someone is the day I want it banned.  Unless that happens, **** off.

What if your fathers SKS kills a treasonous liberal hippie all by itself?
I would say that is one mighty fine gun and a must have for every American!  :-)

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
I have an SKS and hubby has an SKS and as far as I know they haven't killed anyone.  Of course our's are not Chinese made.  Chinese stuff is always killing Americans so maybe that is why that SKS did.
I've got a rusky one also, those Chinese one's looked nasty all those years ago.
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »

What if your fathers SKS kills a treasonous liberal hippie all by itself?
I would say that is one mighty fine gun and a must have for every American!  :-)

PG, I'd hafe to recommend it for the VRWC Meritorious Event Citation, and I'd ask it for its' relatives serial numbers, to "own" one.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
I've taken a deer with my SKS.  It has a 5-round after-market mag for cleaner lines, a synthetic sporter stock, and a receiver scope mount I made from a shotgun scope mount, but it is still an SKS and I could refit the 10-rounder to it at will.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline phillygirl

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »
It's going to get worse.  It appears that the police were quite zealous in their apprehension of 2 of the 3 suspects. 

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
It's going to get worse.  It appears that the police were quite zealous in their apprehension of 2 of the 3 suspects. 

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/

It must be if they got their mommies on TV.  :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »
I thought they didn't like cops anyway. Too bad it wasn't Mumia doing the shooting, then they could defend his right to carry an SKS to fight of his oppressors.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams