Author Topic: DUmmies VS Natural Selection?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline zeitgeist

DUmmies VS Natural Selection?
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
As the weather refuses to recognize Algore's global warming, DUmmies discuss how best to help OWS.  What follows is a survival how not to guide for winter camping.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x5020680

highplainsdem  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-08-11 11:06 PM
Original message
Protesters prepare to dig in for winter
 Source: Newsday

The cold is coming -- and they know it.

As the Occupy Wall Street protesters head into their fourth week, the camp is preparing to dig in for the long haul. Saturday, thoughts were turning to basic human needs and ways to plan and strategize for the challenges ahead.

At Saturday's 9 a.m. coordination meeting, representatives on the numerous task forces dealt with the need for more donations of sleeping bags, ground pads and shoes. Right now there's an oversupply of socks, T-shirts and thermal blankets.

"The cold is definitely a concern for all of us," Olivia Nole-Malpezzi, 18, of Rochester said later. "We definitely need to prepare for the winter, mentally and physically. Donations are everything to us."

-snip-

Read more: http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/protesters-prepare...

Check out some of the suggestions.

mrmpa  (675 posts)        Sat Oct-08-11 11:36 PM
Response to Original message
2. They're going to need..............
 Edited on Sat Oct-08-11 11:37 PM by mrmpa
tents and propane heaters and propane tanks. Without an idea where to send packages, I truly believe that if you send it via the US Postal Service to Occupy Wall Stree, New York, NY... it will be delivered.

But don't send propane cartridges via the Post Office.

That should take out a few in short order.  Hooyah, carbon monoxide.  Is that a green house gas?

Denver Progressive (69 posts)        Sun Oct-09-11 12:46 AM
4. For any Coloradans out there
 I have been asked to pass this message along:

#occupydenver protesters would greatly appreciate any donations of clean blankets/sleeping bags and warm gloves. These are sorely needed as colder weather approaches. AA batteries, lamps and big rubbermaid tubs are also needed. If you can help, please drop them off at #occupydenver on Broadway between Colfax and 14th streets.   

Ok kids set your vibrator to mildly erotic and don't forget to share.

tama (1000+ posts)     Sun Oct-09-11 01:01 AM
6. Iglus and bear furs? 
 Edited on Sun Oct-09-11 01:04 AM by tama
More seriously, yurts are not a bad idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt 

Ok and some mud huts with thatched roofs?

starroute  (1000+ posts)        Sun Oct-09-11 01:21 AM
9. I'm not sure they can get through an entire New York winter
 Edited on Sun Oct-09-11 01:22 AM by starroute
Nights in the twenties are manageable with a quality sleeping bag. But full-on blizzard conditions -- say 10 degrees with a howling wind and lashing snow -- are not anything for amateurs to mess with.

At the very least, they're going to have to find a site where they're allowed to put up tents -- and stake them down so a blizzard won't carry them off to New Jersey. Or else reach an agreement with the authorities where they can take shelter inside on the worst nights and come back the next morning.

But I really believe that they won't make it much past Christmas -- depending on when the really cold weather sets in -- and that they need to adjust their plans to match that reality.

Mommy send me some warm mittens?  Wait, we've changed our mind we are going to Occupy Ft Lauderdale. :yahoo:

jwirr  (1000+ posts)        Sun Oct-09-11 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #9
29. I was wondering about the storms also. Would it not be a good idea to 
 rent (via donations) a building/office right near WS and make it a permanent presence that could serve as a rallying point for many during the day and an overnight shelter for those who continue to man the vigil into the night. It could also serve as a warming house for demonstrators and a makeshift kitchen and place to dispense/store needed supplies. I know rent is very expensive but this could be a way that some of the organizations involved in this could help. 

NY real estate is cheap to rent?  Right?

vets74  (379 posts)        Sun Oct-09-11 09:07 AM
16. One good product to contribute ---- Driducks Ultra-Lite micropore rainsuit - hunter's outerwear
 Wall Street is damp, cold in fall and very cold in winter. Windy area because of New York Bay and the Hudson River.

Rain gear is going to be critical. Problem with rain gear is that heavy suits will cause you to sweat and they're not suitable for sleeping. This ultra-light set is loose, comfy,

Driducks offers a $20 solution. I have used my set for hiking in Upstate New York and Jersey in winter. Perfect. This includes getting caught out in a turnaround blizzard where the Driducks went on over my normal gear -- I was dry and comfortable.

When I bought mine, the alternative brands cost twice to ten times as much as the Driducks for an equivalent pants/jacket sets. I have no idea why.

Mine have been washed in a washing machine several times. Gentle setting. Hang up to dry out. Mine are 5 years old. The jacket sizes out quite large -- their LARGE is a 46-48 chest instead of 42. The aim is to fit over a thick sweater. The very loose fit encourages evaporation.

(Checked out eBay. $16 + $7 shipping. Now labelled as "Frogg Toggs DriDucks." The regular Frogg Toggs rainsuit is heavier stuff.)

The Frogg Toggs site has this as the DriDucks® Ultra-Lite2™ Rain Suit, starting At: $19.95.

Driducks ultralite manufacturers page

The pair together weigh less than a pound. Got mine at a big supermarket in Binghamton area.

If you're going to Occupy Wall Street, be prepared. Also, please, get a pneumonia shot to go with your flu shot. Takes a couple weeks for them to reach full protective strength after the injection.

Dude, the needles they want in the arm ain't containing Flu and Pneumonia vaccine.  Trust me. :loser:

judesedit  (415 posts)      Sun Oct-09-11 10:20 AM
19. These people have the balls our government lacks. Just remember...Spring is just around the corner
 I will send a postal money order so OWS can purchase what is needed most at the time for now. If Mother Nature becomes a bit too much or people start to get sick.....just remember....Spring is just around the corner. Praise God and God bless all who are there for the rest of us. Everybody vote absentee ballot and take it directly to the campaign office near you for as many people as possible. Tell all your friends. Diebold and Sequoia machines no good. Scanners no good. Everyone has ONE vote, supposedly. Make yours count!

Looks like someone wants to go to Brodway and watch Annie.  "The sun will come out tomorrow"

NJCher  (1000+ posts)        Sun Oct-09-11 10:50 AM
22. what about a waterbed heater pad
 If there is a sympathetic soul around who will let them plug in via an extension cord, this could offer some relief from the cold. The waterbed heater pad goes up to around 73, I think.

What could possibly go wrong. :lmao:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Re: DUmmies VS Natural Selection?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
highplainsdem  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-08-11 11:06 PM
Original message
Protesters prepare to dig in for winter
 Source: Newsday
>snip<
 Donations Other people's stuff are everything to us.
That sounds just about right to me.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
They are so concerned about the cold winter. If only their prophet Algore would have been even less successful on the Globull Warming scam the winters in NY would probably be warm enough by now.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
They are so concerned about the cold winter. If only their prophet Algore would have been even less successful on the Globull Warming scam the winters in NY would probably be warm enough by now.

It was a bit brisk at my campsite the last couple mornings down the Maine Coast.  Seems the beagle stole all the covers.   She ain't no fool. :whistling:

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »
These DUmbasses have no idea how many New York junkies and winos are going to descend on them.

Free shelter and free stuff are powerful motivators to that segment of the democrat base.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
These DUmbasses have no idea how many New York junkies and winos are going to descend on them.

Free shelter and free stuff are powerful motivators to that segment of the democrat base.

FIFY 

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
The Freestuffers are showing us what their vision of society will be if they get their way, the 1800s.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
So they want hghly flammable substances. They lack clean running water. Too many people are packed-in. Sanitation is an issue.

I'm told we need government regulation to keep people and those near them safe.

Shouldn't a responsible government regulator shut this down before it becomes a safety regulation?

After all, I'm told I can lose my property--which is my right to own--because some stupid endangered critter is on it; so why should their stupid right to speech matter any more than my rights.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
They won't make it to December due to the cold. Heck, I expect mid November at the latest.

I've though about this. The homeless in new york must be very happy this is going on. All they have to do is shout and hold a sign and they get free food. Good deal if you're homeless.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
What could possibly go wrong. :lmao:

While there is a certain positive value in a bunch of them offing themselves with miscellaneous heating/electrical accidents, it would no doubt also involve their mommies and daddies suing NYC for not taking better care of them and enforcing health and safety laws.

In other words, WIN-WIN!!!111!!!  :yahoo:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »
They won't make it to December due to the cold. Heck, I expect mid November at the latest.

I've though about this. The homeless in new york must be very happy this is going on. All they have to do is shout and hold a sign and they get free food. Good deal if you're homeless.

Not much to distinguish them from the "official" protestors either, if the photos' I've seen are a good representation

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
And remember, those propane tanks will double nicely as a fuel source when everyone just says, "**** it" and burns the place down.

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »
The 1st cold snap? their butts will be outta there!

judesedit  Donating Member  (415 posts) Sun Oct-09-11 10:20 AM
19. These people have the balls our government lacks. Just remember...Spring is just around the corner

I will send a postal money order so OWS can purchase what is needed most at the time for now. If Mother Nature becomes a bit too much or people start to get sick.....just remember....Spring is just around the corner. Praise God and God bless all who are there for the rest of us. Everybody vote absentee ballot and take it directly to the campaign office near you for as many people as possible. Tell all your friends. Diebold and Sequoia machines no good. Scanners no good. Everyone has ONE vote, supposedly. Make yours count!

Gari Donating Member (49 posts) Sun Oct-09-11 10:48 AM
Response to Reply #19
21. I'm also raising Cane about e-voting

I've sent emails and actual letters to my state reps and Secretary of state. I quote FOX NEWS as my source and mention that the election could be flipped by ANYONE! Now, our Texas Leg will meet again in 2013 (good grief), so I'm mostly focusing on the Secretary of State's office.

Also, nice thick socks can double as mittens in a pinch. I understand the Occupiers had sent a call out for socks. As a native Texan, cold is something I only dimly grasp, but I have read that wool stays warm when wets. Someone with practical experience, could you shed some like on that concept?

If knitting for the Occupiers, please, please, please use Super Wash wool or something that will not shrink.

::)
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
#occupydenver protesters would greatly appreciate any donations of clean blankets/sleeping bags and warm gloves.

I just thought about The Brady Bunch episode where the boys put itching powder in the sleeping bags for Marcia's sleepover party.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »
So they want hghly flammable substances. They lack clean running water. Too many people are packed-in. Sanitation is an issue.

I'm told we need government regulation to keep people and those near them safe.

Shouldn't a responsible government regulator shut this down before it becomes a safety regulation?

After all, I'm told I can lose my property--which is my right to own--because some stupid endangered critter is on it; so why should their stupid right to speech matter any more than my rights.

But not through the mail.  Apparently they saw that Seinfeld. :hammer:  

ETA:  Note to BG.  Not necessary.  Crabs, lice, bed bugs, and fleas, are like family to these people.   Rather like the Muslim "peace be upon you" in hippie it's "Nice rash you got there". :rotf: 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:29:13 PM by zeitgeist »

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
starroute  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-09-11 01:21 AM
9. I'm not sure they can get through an entire New York winter

Edited on Sun Oct-09-11 01:22 AM by starroute
Nights in the twenties are manageable with a quality sleeping bag. But full-on blizzard conditions -- say 10 degrees with a howling wind and lashing snow -- are not anything for amateurs to mess with.

At the very least, they're going to have to find a site where they're allowed to put up tents -- and stake them down so a blizzard won't carry them off to New Jersey. Or else reach an agreement with the authorities where they can take shelter inside on the worst nights and come back the next morning.

But I really believe that they won't make it much past Christmas -- depending on when the really cold weather sets in -- and that they need to adjust their plans to match that reality.

NY is freezing when it's in the 40's!

NJCher  (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-09-11 10:50 AM
22. what about a waterbed heater pad
If there is a sympathetic soul around who will let them plug in via an extension cord, this could offer some relief from the cold. The waterbed heater pad goes up to around 73, I think.

Seriously? :lmao: the businesses and residents are getting fed-up with the protesters, do you really think they're going to let these fools plug anything in?

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 02:39:50 PM »
Coat, Sleeping Bag and Tent all in 1, it's kind of cool in a way :lmao:

[youtube=425,350]l8c1F-RlzuQ[/youtube]

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
Snuggies are an oppressive tool of the corporate oligarchy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
ETA:  Note to BG.  Not necessary.  Crabs, lice, bed bugs, and fleas, are like family to these people.   Rather like the Muslim "peace be upon you" in hippie it's "Nice rash you got there". :rotf:

:lmao:

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
Seriously? :lmao: the businesses and residents are getting fed-up with the protesters, do you really think they're going to let these fools plug anything in?

Will they even ask to plug anything in? I imagine they just will regardless. It's a safe bet to make.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
Coat, Sleeping Bag and Tent all in 1, it's kind of cool in a way :lmao:

[youtube=425,350]l8c1F-RlzuQ[/youtube]

Oh yeah, laying on the front lawn after a night of hard party rolling around in my Jak Pak full of  :puke: !  Yum. :fuelfire:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »
Will they even ask to plug anything in? I imagine they just will regardless. It's a safe bet to make.

I think there are plugs in the bottom part of street lights but if you plug a generator in? all the freaking lights would go out LOL.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Who wants to get a Nor'easter pool going?

Pick the date when the hippy hoard gets blown out of Manhattan by Old Man Winter.

I say NO-vember 3rd.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline jukin

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »
I've got a nice warm turd they can suck out of my balloon knot.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
Crabs, lice, bed bugs, and fleas, are like family to these people.   Rather like the Muslim "peace be upon you" in hippie it's "Nice rash you got there". :rotf: 
The DUmmies should read "The Wisdom of the Ancient Samurai":
When one departs for the front, he should carry rice in a bag. His underwear should be made from the skin of a badger. This way he will not have lice. In a long campaign lice are troublesome.