Author Topic: A toothache too  (Read 578 times)

Offline zeitgeist

A toothache too
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »
I am a bit pressed for time but there is also a dump thread on a death from toothache that this thread by PcIntern refers back to.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1873745
PCIntern  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 10:09 AM
Original message
About the poor guy who died from a toothache: 
 Edited on Sun Sep-04-11 11:06 AM by PCIntern
This happens quite frequently - more times than I care to think about - because most of the time, the systemic infection is not associated with the concomitant dental abscess. In this case, the association was quite clear. These are tragedies of the first order: most people may not realize that chronic dental abscess causes endocarditis and associated stroke/pulmonary embolism/other ailments. You know, the System is NOT composed of Quincy, M.E.'s ...most folks don't put it together. I have many stories thereof.

No one leaves my office who is unable to afford care with a threatening tooth. I will extract the tooth at no charge if I have to and just live with it...it costs me next to nothing to do it: I can perform the procedure while someone else is getting numb, or rather than drinking a cup of coffee or posting another rambling POS post here at DU. I will give them antibiotics if I have to: this happens three or four times a month and it's OK with me. I don't want anyone's death or severe illness on my consicence: it's bad enough to deal with what I have to deal with already.

Refresh | +166 Recommendations

Note the recs.  PcIntern sure can pull em in (and out)

There one post which references 'scamdals' which I found interesting along with much of hand wringing which the dump is noted for. 

hfojvt  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 04:47 PM
Response to Reply #34
71. how does somebody not have $27 or not know how to get help? 
 Would the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, any number of Catholic or Lutheran charities not provide $27 for medication?

When I had no insurance I went to the emergency room because I could not swallow. First of all, they ripped me off at the ER, because they charged me for $500 of X-rays that I didn't need, but I made $50 monthly payments on the $800 that I was charged.

Little did I know that I probably could have gotten care at St. Vincent's Clinic on the north side of town.

Plenty of people would quickly kick in the $27 if they knew about this man's problem. I certainly would, but one thing that blunts our generosity is all the bullsh*t artists. Those who make up some nonsense story in order to get other people's cash.

Once, ironically after a DU meet-up in KC, this stranger comes up to me and spins this story about this problem and that and that he needed money so he could get a cab ride somewhere. And I am thinking "heck, if his story is true, I'd be happy to just drive him where he need to go and it would only cost me an hour plus a little bit of gas money." But I didn't help him for fear of being car-jacked in the big city. It just seems like that for every one person who needs $27 for medicine that there are 3 who will say they need money for medicine when they really just want some money for cigarettes and beer.
 Printer F

There is much more good stuff but I just don't have time to bring it all over at the moment. 

I reserve the right to amend and extend my remarks. (isn't that how they do it in Congress?)
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline shadeaux

Re: A toothache too
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
I don't see PCIntern offering any FREE services.  Talks a big talk but doesn't do the walk.  As usual.

He's so full of ****.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:13:04 PM »
PCIntern  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 10:09 AM
Original message
About the poor guy who died from a toothache:
 Edited on Sun Sep-04-11 11:06 AM by PCIntern
This happens quite frequently - more times than I care to think about - because most of the time, the systemic infection is not associated with the concomitant dental abscess. In this case, the association was quite clear. These are tragedies of the first order: most people may not realize that chronic dental abscess causes endocarditis and associated stroke/pulmonary embolism/other ailments. You know, the System is NOT composed of Quincy, M.E.'s ...most folks don't put it together. I have many stories thereof.

It sounds like PC found his boss's convention speech while DUmping the trash can.

He had to copy it verbatim as he is incapable of comprehending its meaning.

He's limited to single syllable words.

Mop floor
DUmp trash
wipe top
wash wall
clean tray
dust chair
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Would Nadin know how to handle an abscess tooth?
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »

So you do nothing?

mfcorey1  (1000+ posts)       Sun Sep-04-11 10:18 AM
Response to Original message
7. When I attempt to get a simple cleaning, the dentist wants me to get expensive 
 deep gum cleaning even though I cannot afford it. I have dental insurance that will pay for a simple cleaning, but the deep dental is about 250 per section. Therefore, I leave with nothing. Bless you for working beyond the compensation. There are many of us who appreciate your service. Still looking for someone to clean my teeth.

Um not a good plan if you read the original thread:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1871403

Looks like PcIntern  can do a great free dental care business at the dump:

REACTIVATED IN CT  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 10:20 AM
8. We need more healthcare providers like you, PC Intern.
 And more free/low cost clinics where folks can get the care they need.

Wait now what is this??

PCIntern  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 11:10 AM
23. I edited to include a most important, but untyped(!) 'NOT' 
 what I MEANT to say was that there is virtually NO detective work going on re: stroke/endocarditis....the morbidity/mortality is huge re: dental issues.

And to answer a question: we can get very cheap antibiotics and dispense them: I do this for the (relatively few) poor and indigent who manage to make it into my office. You don't need expensive pain pills if you get right to the root cause...BTW, 400 mg Ibuprofen plus one regular acetominphen every 6 hours IF YOU CAN TAKE THE MEDS, is great for dental pain.

Relatively few?

PCIntern  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 11:56 AM
27. this whole dental business is so complex: 
 I've been in it for 34 years and it's beyond me. Sometimes I feel like a cockroach who's getting 'alternate side of the street parking regulations' explained to him.

Doc, lay of the nitrous. 

Lets not forget Nads has competition for DOTY:

Warpy   (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 07:27 PM
83. Thank you. I've taken care of too many
 who made it to the hospital with endocarditis, brain abscess, and a host of other things that were finally traced to that sore tooth they were trying to ignore because the kids needed something or they were trying to pay a mortgage with a part time job, whatever, they came last for one reason or another.

So yes, it happens a lot more often than people want to believe. That bad tooth will kill you if you ignore it long enough.

That is, unless you find one of the compassionate dentists out there who will pull it for you without charging retail.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
REACTIVATED IN CT  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-04-11 10:20 AM
8. We need more healthcare providers like you, PC Intern.

It's okay with me if this DUmmy wants a janitorial worker pulling his teeth.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »
He still never offered the magic DUmp words :  Pro Bono   :-)

He needs to retire and start a free clinic.  He's made enough money, it's time to give back.

Isn't that what the DUmmies say ?

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:14:20 AM »
He still never offered the magic DUmp words :  Pro Bono   :-)

He needs to retire and start a free clinic.  He's made enough money, it's time to give back.

Isn't that what the DUmmies say ?

Except that he has no skills to offer for free except for sweeping up after a democrat party rally.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.