Author Topic: Obama shifts on jobs speech, says he didn’t cave to GOP  (Read 777 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Obama shifts on jobs speech, says he didn’t cave to GOP
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:20:03 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4982245

alp227 (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-01-11 11:13 PM
Original message
Obama shifts on jobs speech, says he didn’t cave to GOP
 Source: The Washington Post

To hear White House aides tell it, President Obama didn’t capitulate to House Speaker John A. Boehner when he agreed to postpone by a day his jobs speech to a joint session of Congress. Obama wasn’t a poor communicator. He hadn’t caved to Republicans.

There wasn’t even a story here.

“What flap?” press secretary Jay Carney deadpanned at his daily briefing when asked about the scheduling kerfuffle, which had dominated the Washington news cycle for nearly 24 hours.

Obama had aggressively scheduled his speech for precisely the same time this coming Wednesday as a long-scheduled Republican presidential candidates debate in California. But the gambit backfired when Boehner (R-Ohio) objected and forced him to come Thursday instead, providing instant fodder for pundits, bloggers and the “Twitterverse.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-day-later-whit...

And then the fun begins with this degenerating into a full out food fight over "The Buck Stops Here" Harry Truman. 

Wonderful stuff but I'm only loading up a few choice pieces for your edification and enjoyment because it is a gorgeous day out there and I have places to go, things to do, and people to meet.

Tx4obama  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-01-11 11:35 PM
Response to Reply #2
5. Perhaps a search of Obama's reading lists would help ya out. 
 Obama has read books about FDR.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

hlthe2b  (1000+ posts)      Thu Sep-01-11 11:44 PM
Response to Reply #5
6. He has included a couple. I am aware of that.
 Edited on Thu Sep-01-11 11:57 PM by hlthe2b
My point remains.... NOTHING for three days but FDR (and maybe a bit of Truman) so that it MIGHT stick?

Because he goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about Reagan.

I like to think something about FDR would make at least a similar impact. No, I remain a Obama supporter, but I am a disappointed Obama supporter. Obama has so much more potential. We need him to reach towards it... Desperately. And I am convinced he could learn quite a few imminently successful strategic lessons from FDR's speeches and actions, dealing with a similarly corrupt and obstructive Republican opposition. Hell, FDR even had to deal with attempts to have him "taken out"-- an actual Coup attempt-- per Smedley Butler.

Yes, Obama needs one hell of a lot more FDR and a lot less to be learned from Reagan.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

awoke_in_2003  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-02-11 02:10 AM
Response to Reply #5
15. too bad his reading comprehension...
 seems to be sub-par, just like his leadership.

and that brings on this little gem of Truman Truth. OH MY!! ( or should that be OH Noes??

stockholmer  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-02-11 12:18 AM
Response to Reply #2
9. agreed, except for the Truman part 
 Truman:

1 Dropped the atomic bombs on Japan, The atomization of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war of more scope than any of the Japanese generals were executed for. If Harry Truman was not a war criminal, then no one ever was.

2 Championed the development of the hydrogen bomb, which makes Fat Man and Little Boy look like firecrackers.

3 The horrific Taft-Hartley Act passed on his watch, and he utterly failed in his attempts to repeal it, thus gutting the Wagner Act, and sowing the foundational seeds of union destruction for the next 60 years

4 Was the first Cold Warrior president, giving left cover to take-over of the US foreign policy by the military-industrial complex

4 Korean War, which he labeled a police action (continuing the War on Terror, anyone?)

5 Failed at true universal health care

6 Tried and failed to push through Universal Military Training (Obama with the mandatory universal service failed as well)

7 Supported enthusiastically the creation of the CIA (enough said there).

8 NATO created with his support, which performed (Opertion Gladio) terrible false-flag terror acts here in the EU for years, killing hundreds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

9 Supported National Security Council Resolution NSC-68 in 1948 (it was classified till 1975), which declared, "a defeat of free institutions anywhere is a defeat everywhere." thus completing redefining American geo-political strategy into a global empire.NSC-48 called for an immediate 300 to 400% increase in military spending, thus military Keynesianism was permanently entrenched.

10 Decimated Article 1, section 8 of the U.S. Constitution (the power of waging war rests solely in Congress) by usurping that power when he stated formally - "The president, as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, has full control over the use thereof."

11 Tried to draft striking railroad workers in the US Army. Only the unlikely alliance of old-right Senator Robert Taft of Ohio and left liberal Claude Pepper of Florida stopped this.

12 Executive Order 10340, where Truman tried to have the US Army seize the steel mills of the USA to stop a national strike by the unions. Defeated by the US Supreme Court in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer.

13 Supported the UN ramming through of the partition of Palestine, and the creation of Israel, despite privately writing to Eleanor Roosevelt "I fear very much that the Jews are like all underdogs. When they get on top, they are just as intolerant and as cruel as the people were to them when they were underneath. I regret this situation very much, because my sympathy has always been on their side."

14 Issued Executive Order 9835 which, in 1947, set up loyalty boards to investigate espionage among federal employees.

15 "THE BUCK STOPS HERE", still waiting on Obama for this one.

Looking at great dimocratixs pResidents is pretty disappointing for Dummies.

Pretty disappointing is a daily occurance for Dummies. :whatever:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jukin

Re: Obama shifts on jobs speech, says he didn’t cave to GOP
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »
Thanks DUchebag stockholmer. I had no idea that Truman had accomplished those things. He just went up 10 points in my book.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Thanks DUchebag stockholmer. I had no idea that Truman had accomplished those things. He just went up 10 points in my book.

Mine too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
Oh dear, Obummer is a Toilet Paper Tiger, who knew?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
Oh dear, Obummer is a Toilet Paper Tiger, who knew?

That works on so many levls. ^5

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
This explains everything about the Kenyan.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532623176115558.html

This part is hard to disagree with:

Yet there is something more than inexperience or lack of character that defines this presidency: Mr. Obama came of age in a bubble of post-'60s liberalism that conditioned him to be an adversary of American exceptionalism. In this liberalism America's exceptional status in the world follows from a bargain with the devil—an indulgence in militarism, racism, sexism, corporate greed, and environmental disregard as the means to a broad economic, military, and even cultural supremacy in the world. And therefore America's greatness is as much the fruit of evil as of a devotion to freedom.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »

You should look for the thread with the beat down they put on JFK a few months ago.  I was impressed at the things I learned.  They are still a bit soft on LBJ, which I attribute to some type abusive grandfather syndrome. Not that many old hippies left at the dump who remember the chant "hey hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"  I attribute that to Lenny Bruce syndrome.   (live fast, die young, leave a [good looking]corpse) :-)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
You should look for the thread with the beat down they put on JFK a few months ago.  I was impressed at the things I learned.  They are still a bit soft on LBJ, which I attribute to some type abusive grandfather syndrome. Not that many old hippies left at the dump who remember the chant "hey hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"  I attribute that to Lenny Bruce syndrome.   (live fast, die young, leave a [good looking]corpse) :-)

I saved the link:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=433x616624

and a couple more for fun:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x1078961

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=209x6350

dummies are always disappointed but never disappoint. :lol: