Author Topic: House GOP challenges Pelosi for gas price plan  (Read 1605 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
House GOP challenges Pelosi for gas price plan
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
House Republican leaders on Tuesday challenged Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to release a plan to lower gas prices that they say Democrats touted when they were in the minority.

“Two years ago this week, you stated that House Democrats had a ‘commonsense plan’ to ‘lower gas prices,’ ” the letter said. “In light of the skyrocketing gasoline prices affecting working families and every sector of our struggling economy, we are writing today to respectfully request that you reveal this ‘commonsense plan’ so we can begin work on responsible solutions to help ease this strain.”

:bow: :evillaugh:

The letter is signed by Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Conference Chairman Adam Putnam (R-Fla.), Policy Chairman Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.) as well as other members of leadership: Reps. Kay Granger (R-Texas), John Carter (R-Texas), Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and Eric Cantor (R-Va.).

In a press release dated April 24, 2006, Pelosi said, “Democrats have a commonsense plan to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices by cracking down on price gouging, rolling back the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies, and increasing production of alternative fuels.” The letter cited policies put in place during the GOP control of Congress that the Speaker claimed had raised prices on  American consumers to benefit oil companies.

The House GOP leaders’ letter points out that the price of gasoline has spiked $1.18 since Democrats took over in January and stands at $3.51.

“Once a nightmare scenario, $4 gasoline is now a very real possibility of becoming a summer staple,” the letter stated. “In some cities, including San Francisco and Chicago, it is already a startling reality.”

Pelosi’s office did not respond immediately for comment.

The political drumbeat against high gas prices in the House coincidences with that of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who has made the issue a key campaign talking point.

McCain has called for a suspension of the gas tax to help consumers get through the summer months.

The McCain campaign and congressional Republicans have met repeatedly in recent weeks in an effort to coordinate their messages.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/house-gop-challenges-pelosi-for-gas-price-plan-2008-04-22.html
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Flame

Re: House GOP challenges Pelosi for gas price plan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »
 :bwah:

:owned:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
Pelosi: ‘With Skyrocketing Gas Prices, Americans Can No Longer Afford Rubber Stamp Congress’
Monday, April 24, 2006

Washington, D.C. – House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement today on President Bush’s, Speaker Hastert’s, and the Republican Congress’ empty rhetoric on gas prices. Key facts on the Majority's failure to address gas prices follows Pelosi’s statement.

With skyrocketing gas prices, it is clear that the American people can no longer afford the Republican Rubber Stamp Congress and its failure to stand up to Republican big oil and gas company cronies. Americans this week are paying $2.91 a gallon on average for regular gasoline – 33 cents higher than last month, and double the price than when President Bush first came to office.

“With record gas prices, record CEO pay packages, and record oil company profits, Speaker Hastert and the Majority Congress continue to give the American people empty rhetoric rather than join Democrats who are working to lower gas prices now.

“Democrats have a commonsense plan to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices by cracking down on price gouging, rolling back the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies, and increasing production of alternative fuels.”

http://www.house.gov/pelosi/press/releases/April06/Rubberstamp.html

Okay, let's take this "commonsense plan" one by one:

1. Price Gouging - SO busted here - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1638253/posts  :-)

And -
Using Forbes' online company information pages on the Forbes.com website, 2005 revenue total (sales) and profit data

Here are the results -- Profits as a % of revenue (Profits in parens)

BP 7.78% (22.94B)
Chevron 7.63% ($14.10B)
ConocoPhillips 8.40% ($13.62B)
Exxon 11.01% ($36.12B)

Bank of America 19.29% ($16.47B)
CitiGroup 20.5% ($24.64B)
Coca-Cola 21.1% ($4.87B)
Ford 1.3% ($2.25B)
Google 23.9% (1.47B)
McDonald's 12.7% ($2.60B)
Microsoft 31.6% ($13.06B)
Wal Mart 3.5% ($11.23B)
Waste Management 9.0% ($1.18B)
3M 15.3% ($1.18)

2. Subsidies, tax breaks, and royalty relief -
In effect, the various bills would transfer billions of dollars from oil companies to producers of renewable fuels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/washington/18oil.html
Some plan there Stretch!!!!

3. Alternative fuels - well one only need read a current newspaper to see how this is turning out!

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
 -
Using Forbes' online company information pages on the Forbes.com website, 2005 revenue total (sales) and profit data

BP 7.78% (22.94B)
Chevron 7.63% ($14.10B)
Exxon 11.01% ($36.12B)

Coca-Cola 21.1% ($4.87B)
Ford 1.3% ($2.25B)
Google 23.9% (1.47B)
Wal Mart 3.5% ($11.23B)
3M 15.3% ($1.18)

Where did you get this list?
Do you have a link?
Thank you!
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:44:30 PM »
-

BP 7.78% (22.94B)
Chevron 7.63% ($14.10B)
Exxon 11.01% ($36.12B)

Coca-Cola 21.1% ($4.87B)
Ford 1.3% ($2.25B)
Google 23.9% (1.47B)
Wal Mart 3.5% ($11.23B)
3M 15.3% ($1.18)

Where did you get this list?
Do you have a link?
Thank you!
Unfortunately no. I have a MS Word file that I have kept over the years. I cut and paste little nuggets like this for future reference. Sometimes I have the link too. This one didn't have a link which leads me to believe that I probably stole from someone else on another board. :-) I'm sure the math is good and the legwork would back it up if a person wanted to hunt for it. I may do that if I have time later.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 04:04:24 PM »
I heard a guy the other day state that gas prices rose 1 cent per month under GWB and the GOP Congress.

since the Dems took control of Congress in 2006, gas prices have gone up 7 cents per month.

that's a pretty big increase and of course, the MSM is having trouble keeping the lid on this now with the bio fuels issue.

maybe McCain can bring it up once or twice this election season to remind people who upped the gas taxes?  :whatever:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »
I hope they skewer the Goron over biofuels. He cast the tie breaking vote mandating them back in the 90's. He also has a financial interest in biofuels.