Author Topic: member survey  (Read 19095 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: member survey
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
Got a link from some other members here, and lurked for a good long time.  Signed up, because y'all were entertaining. 

Suggestions?  That people that sign on only to read the DUmpster, would click on other threads every once and a while.  I try to stay away from the DUmp, as it is too much like the people I work with in real life.  I don't care to hang out there, but sometimes it is like crickets everywhere else. 

Like chris said, the monkeys in the cage are always much more entertaining than the flora and fauna exhibits!  Besides, they are always throwing poo at each other!  :-)

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2011, 09:39:19 PM »
Someone who was on a PUMA board with me pointed me in this direction. O-)
That member isn't here any longer, and indeed hasn't been for quite some time.
AFAIK we BOTH still have moles over at the DUmp. :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
Someone who was on a PUMA board with me pointed me in this direction. O-)
That member isn't here any longer, and indeed hasn't been for quite some time.
AFAIK we BOTH still have moles over at the DUmp. :-)
YES!! :rocker:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
YES!! :rocker:

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Mr. Mannn said, on a different thread, that we could play with the smilies.  Or something like that. :whistling:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »
I lurked for quite a spell before actually joining.

Again, sir, a wise choice, lurking before joining, so as to determine whether or not this place was right for you.

However.

You didn't have to lurk "for quite a spell;" we missed you before you showed up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
Suggestions?  That people that sign on only to read the DUmpster, would click on other threads every once and a while.  I try to stay away from the DUmp, as it is too much like the people I work with in real life.  I don't care to hang out there, but sometimes it is like crickets everywhere else.

Trust me, madam, I've been working on it for months now, because my main concern is for the stability and growth of conservativecave in general, not only for the DUmpster specifically.

Of course I want the DUmpster to do well, but for the DUmpster to do well, conservativecave as a whole has to do well.

But I'm at a loss; I dunno what it takes to bring people from the DUmpster into other forums.  I am aware (blush blush) that my own presence "draws," and so occasionally--such as today--I've stayed out of the DUmpster and hung around the other forums, hoping to attract traffic to the other forums.  It works, but damn, it's hard work.

However, there's nothing to stop members from trying to draw traffic to their own favorite forums; in fact, I'm enthusiastically all for it, and am willing to help if asked.

You other point is well taken, and I've discussed this with our esteemed colleague Eupher before. 

I'm hesitant to speak for Eupher lest I misspeak, but I'm under the impression he doesn't much care for the DUmpster, and that's cool, that's copacetic.  I judge Eupher by character, not by his personal preferences even if they go contrary to mine.  And his character is sterling.

It was Eupher who first revealed to me something I hadn't thought about before; that some members unfortunately have to deal with primitives in real life, and so when they come here, they don't want to do it here.

I had never thought of that, and that is a perfectly understandable reason; if one has to deal with primitives in real life, one doesn't want to deal with them on the internet too.  It makes sense.

But again, there's nothing holding members, any member, back from promoting his or her favorite forum, and if I can help, I'm happy to help, as it could not possibly do anything but good for conservativecave as a whole.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
I made my way over here from FreeRepublic, via the DUmmie FUnnies.  A member over here (I can't remember which) mentioned in a thread that the DUmmies are lampooned all the time over here at the cave.CU.  I lurked for quite a spell before actually joining. 
I edited the relevant parts. The DUmpster is my favorite area and is more active than BO/WO DU at CU. Both places are good but I found I like CC more.

As far as changes go, I do not know of any I would suggest. This site works for me well enough.  :II:
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »
Frank, my suggestion was to other members, not to you to direct traffic.  People are going to go where they are going to go. 

It is all good.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »
Frank, my suggestion was to other members, not to you to direct traffic.  People are going to go where they are going to go. 

It is all good.   :-)

I realize that, madam, but figured it wouldn't hurt to mention all that I mentioned.

And my sincere sympathy goes out to you and everyone else who has to deal with primitives in real life; that's no fun at all.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
I came over from USMILNET and knew Thor, Rebel, DebK, Crazy Horse, and a few others from there.

I actually just sorta stumbled on this place when I was wondering what had happened to Reb et. al. from USMILNET. This was the time when the Ronulan invasion was going on at CU. He (Reb) and others got tired of that crap and decided to set up a new conservative forum, less focused on the military.

Generally speaking, I like the vibes here. Sorta loose without being chaotic, tolerant without being obsequious, and there is a shitload to learn here.

Oh, and I don't have to worry about being PC, which is a problem with at least one other forum that I participate in.  :argh:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2011, 05:15:08 AM »
Got a link from some other members here, and lurked for a good long time.  Signed up, because y'all were entertaining. 

Such a good point.  I think the primary reason I started reading that forum was due to lack of traffic elsewhere.    If there were more traffic on the political forum I would post more articles/threads.    I read a great deal, and see a lot of stuff that I think would be interesting to others but it wouldn't get read so I don't make the effort to post it here.

The presidential election season is about to kick into high gear, so we may see that traffic soon enough. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »

Generally speaking, I like the vibes here. Sorta loose without being chaotic, tolerant without being obsequious, and there is a shitload to learn here.

Oh, and I don't have to worry about being PC, which is a problem with at least one other forum that I participate in.  :argh:

Yeah, that!  :cheersmate: I have to be so PC in my everyday, it is nice to hang out here, where I don't have to worry about it.  And I have learned a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't have either. 

Such a good point.  I think the primary reason I started reading that forum was due to lack of traffic elsewhere.    If there were more traffic on the political forum I would post more articles/threads.    I read a great deal, and see a lot of stuff that I think would be interesting to others but it wouldn't get read so I don't make the effort to post it here.

The presidential election season is about to kick into high gear, so we may see that traffic soon enough.

Post away FL, I would read it.  Finding good info out there is more difficult than finding a needle in a haystack. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
Trust me, madam, I've been working on it for months now, because my main concern is for the stability and growth of conservativecave in general, not only for the DUmpster specifically.

Of course I want the DUmpster to do well, but for the DUmpster to do well, conservativecave as a whole has to do well.

But I'm at a loss; I dunno what it takes to bring people from the DUmpster into other forums.  I am aware (blush blush) that my own presence "draws," and so occasionally--such as today--I've stayed out of the DUmpster and hung around the other forums, hoping to attract traffic to the other forums.  It works, but damn, it's hard work.

However, there's nothing to stop members from trying to draw traffic to their own favorite forums; in fact, I'm enthusiastically all for it, and am willing to help if asked.

You other point is well taken, and I've discussed this with our esteemed colleague Eupher before. 

I'm hesitant to speak for Eupher lest I misspeak, but I'm under the impression he doesn't much care for the DUmpster, and that's cool, that's copacetic.  I judge Eupher by character, not by his personal preferences even if they go contrary to mine.  And his character is sterling.

It was Eupher who first revealed to me something I hadn't thought about before; that some members unfortunately have to deal with primitives in real life, and so when they come here, they don't want to do it here.

I had never thought of that, and that is a perfectly understandable reason; if one has to deal with primitives in real life, one doesn't want to deal with them on the internet too.  It makes sense.

But again, there's nothing holding members, any member, back from promoting his or her favorite forum, and if I can help, I'm happy to help, as it could not possibly do anything but good for conservativecave as a whole.

frank, I think part of this may be that conservatives are in general gifted with a bit more...discretion. Most are not going to open their lives up for scrutiny or dissection and to get involved in more personal boards that really is required. I mean opening up like a book to that point opens one up for the dumpster folks to peer in, not to mention I don't always trust the 'balance' of some people on this board. Sometimes when people get heated on other topics, they will pull something that someone shared personally to throw back at them. I think it's the nature of the board. Not everyone is going to be comfortable being more personal on a board where debates(sometimes personal) erupt and I think being more personal is required to produce traffic on some of the more relaxed boards. This is all just my supposition.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Yeah, it was I, again showing my wonderful discernment of character.

By the way, I was always curious about something--what was the origin of your former screen-name, "muddyems"?

That was a melding of two of my nicknames from my past.  I was called "Muddy" for a few reasons, one being my surname, when I was a young Army officer.  The "emms" part was my nickname given at the lab, by our senior PhD. who thought of me as "the son he never had," he having three daughters.  Neither name seems to have followed me beyond the lab.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline debk

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »
Reb and Thor invited me to come over from USMILNET where I had been since Reb started in after a NewYears's meltdown on military.com, 6 or 7 years ago. I lurked for quite a long time, until I think both of them sent me emails and told me to start posting.

Regarding the twitter suggestions.
I don't have a twitter acct either, and probably never will, and while I have no objection to those who wish to link stuff from here to twitter...please make sure if you do, it is not from a "protected" thread. To make sure that you know which ones those are, look over the main forum lists before signing into your account. If a particular forum is not visible that means it's protected.

The Spa, Cryin' in my Beer, specifically, and I think The Lounge is somewhat protected also. So is the Fight Club.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »
Sorta loose without being chaotic, tolerant without being obsequious, and there is a shitload to learn here.

Oh, and I don't have to worry about being PC.....

Thank you, sir, because that's one of the things for which we're aiming.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
Such a good point.  I think the primary reason I started reading that forum was due to lack of traffic elsewhere. 

If there were more traffic on the political forum I would post more articles/threads.    I read a great deal, and see a lot of stuff that I think would be interesting to others but it wouldn't get read so I don't make the effort to post it here.

That's one thing that seems to be overlooked.

conservativecave is only a little over four years old, and so there hasn't been enough time to clearly see "trends," but one can sort of see them. 

The traffic in forums depends much upon the time of the year, and the year itself.

A heavy snowstorm blankets most of the continental United States, and traffic here is jamming, because everybody's inside their houses, at their computers.  Good weather graces most of the continental United States, and traffic here is slow, because everybody's outdoors, doing things away from their computers.

Spring, summer, autumn, winter, the traffic shifts one way or the other, and right now, in addition to November-December of each year, the DUmpster itself is at its seasonal peak.

In 2008, an election year, there was more equilibrium in traffic between all the forums; in 2009, a non-election year, the DUmpster dominated; in 2010, an election year, there again was more action in the other forums; and here we are in 2011.....a non-election year.

It ebbs and flows, and I think you're right on the mark.  As we approach 2012, traffic in the other forums is bound to pick up, and pick up quite a bit.

Always keep in mind traffic to conservativecave as a whole, and to forums specifically, is determined by events.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »
Yeah, that!  I have to be so PC in my everyday, it is nice to hang out here, where I don't have to worry about it.

Again, madam, my point made earlier.

I just wish I had been aware of it much sooner, that there are decent and civilized people who alas have to actually deal with primitives in real life, while some of the rest of us only have to do so from a distance.

I wish I had been aware of that much sooner, and of course kudos to Eupher for having enlightened me on it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »
frank, I think part of this may be that conservatives are in general gifted with a bit more...discretion.

You hit the bull's-eye inside the bull's-eye, madam.

It's been remarkable--and admirable--how members here have respected personal boundaries; perhaps not perfectly, but pretty damned good.

I think being more personal is required to produce traffic on some of the more relaxed boards.

And one of the more relaxed boards is.....

Unlike the other forums, the DUmpster allows one to vent uninhibitedly, to yell over across the wall at fools and idiots and parasites, and that is probably its chief attraction......and one can say the same for the Lounge, where one can be silly or funny or loose.

Other forums, such as Politics or Election 2012, require contemplation and thought.

So all the forums on conservativecave serve a purpose; to serve both our serious and frivolous sides.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
The Spa, Cryin' in my Beer, specifically, and I think The Lounge is somewhat protected also. So is the Fight Club.

I'm not sure the Lounge is protected.

The Spa, the bawling forum, and the fight arena yes, but I'm not sure the Lounge is.

Clarification being sought.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »
I'm not sure the Lounge is protected.

The Spa, the bawling forum, and the fight arena yes, but I'm not sure the Lounge is.

Clarification being sought.

The bawling forum? You really are a gem, frank. :lmao:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
I had Never been on a discussion board before I found one in my local News paper.

What a blast as we hit all the topic of the local news and I found 3-4 people I knew in real life.   Had to pretend I did not know them and so on it went.

When the site shut down I was wondering where else I could go to have that much fun and I remembered Sparky mentioning this board to some one else.

So I kind of sneak in through the back door like a piece of toilet paper on the bottom of Sparkys shoe. [Or if you ask Sparky, more like dog crap]      

So I have been around for a while and only got suspended when I forgot to make the quotes AND MEMBERS THOUGHT MY WORDS FROM MYSELF.--------I am trying to be more careful but one never knows.

This site is my social outlet as I am home bound and may have a very different out take from the youth that has more physical contact then I do.  

I have been beaten like a red haired step child, called a sewing machine and looptie lou by most of you,  No problem, the posters here have taught me much about this new world for people my age,  WHAT the heck.  Most grew up with microwave, Color TV and Cable.  

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
I have been beaten like a red haired step child, called a sewing machine and looptie lou by most of you,  No problem,

No way, vesta dear.

I don't see everything here, but I've never seen any member treated with anything other than the utmost respect and admiration by other members.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
I had grown tired of some things at Free Republic and via a friend there signed up at CU.
Was only there for a couple of months when it all exploded and got an invite to here from jtyangel.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
.....and got an invite to here from jtyangel.

jtyangel's a good judge of character too, and tops at recruiting top talent.

I believe, sir, you were the first person with whom I talked when I first came here--and in three places; the shout box, responding to a comment of yours on a thread, and via personal message.
apres moi, le deluge