Author Topic: Jake Long is a Phin  (Read 4200 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

Jake Long is a Phin
« on: April 22, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
Not just a safe move it's also a good move. (sorry Rams, LOL)

Dolphins to make Jake Long draft's top pick
by Jay Glazer
The first pick of the NFL Draft is no longer a mystery.

Michigan offensive lineman Jake Long and the Miami Dolphins have agreed to terms on a six-year deal, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal, to be voided after five years, is worth $30 million guaranteed and has a total value of $57 million over five years.

Long is slated to fly into Miami later Tuesday to join his new team.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8060536/Dolphins-to-make-Jake-Long-draft's-top-pick

On edit:
Countdown to the Draft
04 DAYS 01 HR 25 MIN 40 SEC
 :-)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:35:00 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline john c calhoun

Re: Jake Long is a Phin
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »

by Jay Glazer

Michigan offensive lineman Jake Long and the Miami Dolphins have agreed to terms on a six-year deal, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal, to be voided after five years, is worth $30 million guaranteed and has a total value of $57 million over five years.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8060536/Dolphins-to-make-Jake-Long-draft's-top-pick

On edit:
Countdown to the Draft

hey...

then there is hope for gholston/dorsey going to the Pats ??

cause I'm doubting the Rams, Chiefs, Falcons & prolly the jets take a defensive player ...

that only leaves da rayda's in the hunt for a D player IMO & I say they take Chris Long...

good move on the fins part ...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »

by Jay Glazer

On edit:
Countdown to the Draft

hey...

cause I'm doubting the Rams, Chiefs, Falcons & prolly the jets take a defensive player ...

that only leaves da rayda's in the hunt for a D player IMO & I say they take Chris Long...

I think the Rams have to go with Dorsey (or Chris Long) now that Jake is gone. (or trade down) Adding Dorsey to last years pick of Carriker is just to good to pass up. Carriker could then play DE in some situations. Chris Long on the other side of Leonard Little aint to shabby either.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »

by Jay Glazer

On edit:
Countdown to the Draft

hey...

I think the Rams have to go with Dorsey (or Chris Long) now that Jake is gone. (or trade down) Adding Dorsey to last years pick of Carriker is just to good to pass up. Carriker could then play DE in some situations. Chris Long on the other side of Leonard Little aint to shabby either.

meanwhile, their STUD running back & QB end up in the hospital  ..AGAIN .... because they have no protection for them ....& then they're out 100million dollars & in the need of a great QB, which may take a lifetime...

they can't go dorsey or long... but, doesn't mean they won't...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
I agree on the need but short of trading down, there is no O-lineman valued at #2 overall with Jake gone. The draft is fairly deep their though so they will get help. maybe in round two and three.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
I think that is how it'll pan out too, RS. The Rams will try to plug in late-rounders and FA veterans to fill the interior of the O-line before preseason instead of using high picks on them.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »
I think that is how it'll pan out too, RS. The Rams will try to plug in late-rounders and FA veterans to fill the interior of the O-line before preseason instead of using high picks on them.

what FA Olinemen worth a damn are still available ??

their Oline has gone to SHIT & other than the chiefs, no other QB/RB's got gang raped anywhere near Bulgar & Jackson.... (notice that the chiefs RB & QB's both ended up in the hospital too ??) ...

trading down is their only option if they don't grab clady or albert at #2
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:57:13 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

their Oline has gone to SHIT & other than the chiefs, no other QB/RB's got gang raped anywhere near Bulgar & Jackson.... (notice that the chiefs RB & QB's both ended up in the hospital too ??) ...

They need to address O-Line, Linehan has been saying that, but, I think they won't pass on Dorsey IF he is still there. I think they will pass on C. Long to trade down, though and go on a O-line spree in the 2nd-7th rounds hoping to find a gem.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »

They need to address O-Line, Linehan has been saying that, but, I think they won't pass on Dorsey IF he is still there. I think they will pass on C. Long to trade down, though and go on a O-line spree in the 2nd-7th rounds hoping to find a gem.

Yup yup yup, ah-huh ah-huh.

Plus, who would trade up to the number two spot? Everyone knows STL will not take a top QB or RB so someone desperate for offensive help will gladly sit and wait for Ryan/McFadden to fall.

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »

Plus, who would trade up to the number two spot? Everyone knows STL will not take a top QB or RB so someone desperate for offensive help will gladly sit and wait for Ryan/McFadden to fall.

the RAMS will pick an offensive player  w\  their #2 pick....

of course, unless linehan is a dumbass.... cause if he picks dorsey  he will monumentally f**kup  ...chris long would be a better fit for the Rams ...

it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Rams take mcfadden or mendenhall ....Steven Jackson is on his last year of his contract &  we all know resigning running backs for big money  is a BIG RISK  ....

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »

of course, unless linehan is a dumbass.... cause if he picks dorsey  he will monumentally f**kup  ...chris long would be a better fit for the Rams ...

it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Rams take mcfadden or mendenhall ....Steven Jackson is on his last year of his contract &  we all know resigning running backs for big money  is a BIG RISK  ....

It's a risk but it can be managed. Look at Alexander and Seattle. A bust in a big contract the last two years but a steal under his rookie contract for 4 years. (now parted on good terms) Plus, the RB possition in the draft is really deep this year and someone can be grabbed as late as round three.

I agree Chris Long is a better fit and for that matter so is Vernon Gholston. Rams need pass rush but bad. Could be they are just leaking "Dorsey is highest on our draft board" to get a team like the Saints to trade up from the 10 spot.

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

It's a risk but it can be managed. Look at Alexander and Seattle. A bust in a big contract the last two years but a steal under his rookie contract for 4 years. (now parted on good terms) Plus, the RB possition in the draft is really deep this year and someone can be grabbed as late as round three.

I agree Chris Long is a better fit and for that matter so is Vernon Gholston. Rams need pass rush but bad. Could be they are just leaking "Dorsey is highest on our draft board" to get a team like the Saints to trade up from the 10 spot.

gholston is a 3-4 linebacker in the NFL ... or a 3rd down pass rusher, which would be a huge waste of a 2nd round just to use him on 3rd downs..

he's too small to be an effective  4 down DE ...

simply picking the best player you can in the draft RARELY works out for a team....

the last time the Rams had a draft this high, they got Orlando Pace & a few years later set many records, created many probowlers & they won a superbowl 

Rams can't afford yet another bad year...they need to score points in this here NFL & no matter who they pick on D in this draft, it will not make their D good enough to make them win games with their offense being punching bags for defenses around the league

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
OR they could take Dorsey to force the hand of another team to entertain offers on a trade with another team that needs DT, like ATL, KC, NYJ and NO.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
OR they could take Dorsey to force the hand of another team to entertain offers on a trade with another team that needs DT, like ATL, KC, NYJ and NO.

at number two, glenn dorsey will come w/ a hefty price tag....

nobody will be buying

I'm gathering that being top 5 these days may be more of a curse than a blessing :o...

thats prolly another reason why Parcels once again shows why he IS  the NFL ....ya see, by his taking  THE Olineman, he got a guy who doesn't mind taking the backseat & wouldn't play all the games & demand mo money etc.etc.etc. ...

the tuna was right & Jake Long is already a fin before the GD draft even starts ....unlike last years BAFFOON QB's that held out, even though one of them was already gonna be making more than 2 dozen players combined salaries & the other didn't get picked to the END of  the first round...

the Rams should follow the Tunas example & pick a low key "team' player thats gonna help their most prized players right now... (ie: bulgar , jackson, holt)

but, I could see the Saints & the Rams switching places perhaps..... the saints land Dorsey & the Rams will still have a great shot some #2 Olinemen , & save themselves a BUNCH of money....

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »
but, I could see the Saints & the Rams switching places perhaps..... the saints land Dorsey & the Rams will still have a great shot some #2 Olinemen , & save themselves a BUNCH of money....

This is probably what will happen. The Rams need to look at WR also with Bruce gone to SF and would like to have 2 picks in the second round to grab a O-lineman and a WR like Malcolm Kelly or James Hardy.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »

This is probably what will happen. The Rams need to look at WR also with Bruce gone to SF and would like to have 2 picks in the second round to grab a O-lineman and a WR like Malcolm Kelly or James Hardy.

that would be a REAL good move for the offense oriented rams....

hell, watchout for Da Saints if this happens....they've been making some SOLID offseason moves already...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »

This is win/win for sure. Dorsey in NO! Come on. That will sell enough tickets and merch to make up for climbing the board 8 spots. Plus I could see the Rams getting a G like Albert or a top tackle at NO's old spot easy.

- Ayn Rand