Author Topic: The four sweetest BOUNCY words...  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The four sweetest BOUNCY words...
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
catabryna  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-01-11 04:11 PM
Original message
The four sweetest words...

I've ever heard. My 10 year old son, with high-functioning autism, just said "I'm a flaming liberal". I'm so damn proud, I had to share!

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Poor 10 year old kid.  Since the former Mrs. Wiggum is a teacher, I've been around a lot of 10 year olds.  I've never heard a single one call themselves anything political in the slightest.

That freeper troll is back:

svsuman24 (8 posts)       Fri Jul-01-11 04:14 PM
Response to Original message
3. that's great!

But what does his high-functioning autism have to do with anything?

Why put labels on people? Should I tell everyone I'm a black male when I say something?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: The four sweetest BOUNCY words...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »
svsuman24 (8 posts)       Fri Jul-01-11 04:14 PM
Response to Original message
3. that's great!

But what does his high-functioning autism have to do with anything?

Why put labels on people? Should I tell everyone I'm a black male when I say something?

Ruh Roh, George! Me thinks svetlana isn't long for the DUmp!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
Quote from:
elleng 

2. Lovely! What's it mean to him?

Quote from:
catabryna 

6. To him, it means he wants to be like his mom.

Great.

"Mommy, I want to grow up and become a burden on society just like you!"

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
Great.

"Mommy, I want to grow up and become a burden on society just like you!"

I think he will use the first three words of that same phrase in a few years. And that will make his dipshit mother twice as proud.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
catabryna

6. To him, it means he wants to be like his mom.

Doesn't that require hormones and a trip to Sweden or San Fransisco?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
The four sweetest BOUNCY words...

So here I was.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
hifiguy   (1000+ posts)           Fri Jul-01-11 04:18 PM
Response to Reply #3
4. It can be a big deal for those of us on the spectrum

to let people know we are there. I am Aspergers - dx'd at 48 - and though I look perfectly "normal" I respond to and interact with people in a VERY different way than do "neurotypicals".

I guess it may be true that everything old becomes new again. I remember way back when the DUmmies were all trying to out Aspergers each other. Then there was the time when all of them either were or had indigo children.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »
I guess it may be true that everything old becomes new again. I remember way back when the DUmmies were all trying to out Aspergers each other. Then there was the time when all of them either were or had indigo children.

I call extreme bullshit on the autism/Aspergers thing. That's just an excuse for antisocial behavior and awkwardness. Social Anxiety Disorder is a real thing, but it is not autism, and it is not Aspergers. 
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
I am Aspergers - dx'd at 48 - and though I look perfectly "normal" I respond to and interact with people in a VERY different way than do "neurotypicals".
I think I'll just keep referring to him as a nut.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
I think he will use the first three words of that same phrase in a few years.

I was thinking the exact same thing, and you got the H5 for it.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Ok there are WAY too many people with childeren that have autisum these days. And even more of them seem to be "high fuctioning". I have a feeling someone tweeked the diagnosis protacol a few years ago to make it so vauge that now every one with a slighty dumb kid or a socially awkward one now falls into the new protected group of the future.
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
Wait.. 'Neurotypical' ? what is this - the equivalent of calling someone whitey ?

You Neurotypicals are always keeping us down ! fight the powah !!!

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
I'd die a little bit on the inside if my daughter ever said that.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
Ok there are WAY too many people with childeren that have autisum these days. And even more of them seem to be "high fuctioning". I have a feeling someone tweeked the diagnosis protacol a few years ago to make it so vauge that now every one with a slighty dumb kid or a socially awkward one now falls into the new protected group of the future.

Slightly dumb?     :whatever:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 06:28:44 PM »
I'd die a little bit on the inside if my daughter ever said that.

I might plunge a steak knife into my abdomen if The Heiress ever said that.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »

That is EXACTLY what happened. The criteria used to diagnose autism was expanded within the last 20 years, and so now if a kid has issues but they don't know what it is, they categorize it as autism.

The DUmpmonkeys throw Asperger's around like they know what it is...which they don't. None of them is smart enough to have it.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
Wait.. 'Neurotypical' ? what is this - the equivalent of calling someone whitey ?  
It means "normal".
DUmmies are all "exceptional".

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
That is EXACTLY what happened. The criteria used to diagnose autism was expanded within the last 20 years, and so now if a kid has issues but they don't know what it is, they categorize it as autism.

That is 100% not true.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
It means "normal".
DUmmies are all "exceptional".

It means neurotypically developing -- which is normal.  LOL.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
That is 100% not true.

Oh really?

Changes in the definition of autism, rather than use of the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR vaccine), led to increased diagnosis of autism in the United States and probably in Europe, says a study from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota ( Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 2005;159:37-44).

Linky

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 07:18:15 PM »
It means neurotypically developing -- which is normal.  LOL.

Oh, I know - but it read as being almost a derogatory term.. I also read up on so called 'indigo children' which coincides with GOBUCKS comment on them being 'exceptional' children.. -- essentially that even though your child may be autistic on the outside - he/she can cast healing white light and communicate directly with fictional spirit guides - which makes them awesome.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »

Let me clarify -- the bolded section is absolutely not true.   From your "linky":

Before the late 1980s and early 1990s, these children were diagnosed as retarded or having developmental delay, lead author William Barbaresi, a developmental paediatrician, told the BMJ.

Kid has issues and they don't know what it is?   yeah, that is definitely not a kid who presents with characteristics such as MR or DD.  

The diagnostic tools for diagnosing a child with autism has certainly been expanded to include pediatrician observations at an early age (the most optimal time to receive intense therapies to yield the best long term outcomes), however the criteria for diagnosis is most specific and isn't handed out like candy (or rather provided because the clinician is somehow unsure what the "issues" are, whatever the hell that means):

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.00 Autistic Disorder

[The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV]
(I) A total of six (or more) items from (A), (B), and (C), with at least two from (A), and one each from (B) and (C)
(A) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people, (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity ( note: in the description, it gives the following as examples: not actively participating in simple social play or games, preferring solitary activities, or involving others in activities only as tools or "mechanical" aids )
(B) qualitative impairments in communication as manifested by at least one of the following:
1. delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
2. in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
3. stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
4. lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level
(C) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least two of the following:
1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
(II) Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years:
(A) social interaction
(B) language as used in social communication
(C) symbolic or imaginative play
(III) The disturbance is not better accounted for by Rett's Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder

http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-autism.html

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
Oh, I know - but it read as being almost a derogatory term.. I also read up on so called 'indigo children' which coincides with GOBUCKS comment on them being 'exceptional' children.. -- essentially that even though your child may be autistic on the outside - he/she can cast healing white light and communicate directly with fictional spirit guides - which makes them awesome.

Oh my -- never heard of this.   

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
Oh my -- never heard of this.   

Yeah, ChuckJ mentioned it upthread and it piqued my interest, as the term was new to me.

from Wikipedia..

"Descriptions of indigo children include the belief that they are empathetic, curious, strong-willed, independent, and often perceived by friends and family as being strange; possess a clear sense of self-definition and purpose; and also exhibit a strong inclination towards spiritual matters from early childhood. Indigo children have also been described as having a strong feeling of entitlement, or "deserving to be here." Other alleged traits include a high intelligence quotient, an inherent intuitive ability, and resistance to authority.[4][6] According to Tober and Carroll, indigo children function poorly in conventional schools due to their rejection of authority, being smarter than their teachers, and a lack of response to guilt-, fear- or manipulation-based discipline.[7]"

Personally, I refer to these children as spoiled brats who need a good spanking, and their Internet privileges, Wiis and XBoxes taken away. My 'Indigo child' started to do poorly in school - after taking her DS, her Wii remote, the XBox power supply, and requiring that she keep a schoolwork/homework journal she turned her grades around in one term. Amazing. The problem with this 'indigo child' was she wanted to do as she pleases, and not what she needs to. Thankfully, her younger brother and sister are over achievers.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »
Just to clarify, there's a clinical difference between Asperger's and high functioning autism.  When my daughter was first diagnosed with high functioning autism 10 years ago, the terms were often interchanged.  But as doctors have learned more, they are distinct from each other, though several of the tendencies and behavior patterns can be found in both.  With that understanding, she now has been properly diagnosed as having Asperger's, which as with anything, the proper diagnosis goes a long way towards dealing with the syndrome.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:56:28 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.