Author Topic: Should same-sex marriage be legal?  (Read 28137 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Should same-sex marriage be legal?
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
Don't ever try Wii Bowling then.  It wasn't made for the likes of us.

If I did, would Wii be bowling?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #301 on: March 30, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »
So you're saying your kidneys can fill-in for your heart it's just that your heart is merely "better suited" for the function of circulating blood.

Got it.

I'm making no pretense at a theological argument but maybe you ought to.

Jesus saves. Darwin would just let the queers die out.

Not necessarily - a few non-reproducing members of society might be beneficial to the overall reproductive fitness of the population, perhaps.   Or homosexuality could be what is called a spandrel, in evolutionary terms, basically ensuring that it will always be around, so long as certain genes remain present in the population - this is the same reason why genetic diseases that kill 100% of those afflicted before reproducing age, remain in the population.   See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandrel_(biology).   Or homosexuality could be completely maladaptive to our reproductive fitness - but that's a hard case to make.

OK, so there is no "intent" to human anatomy (absurd on its face).

OK

I don't get it - you claim to be died-in-the-wool atheist, yet you say its absurd to claim that there is no purposeful intent in the design of human beings (and presumably other creatures).    Intent and purpose require a mind.  And either nature is mindless, or its not.  Which is it?  If its the latter, then your theism is showing.  If its the former, then you are contradicting yourself in the most perfect way, to suggest that there is purpose in the design of living organisms and their bodily parts, on the part of the blind "designer" we call nature.

Then there is no intent to whatever hormonal response that makes one man want to poke another man. Their feelings have no intent and moreover, by their own admission they have no control over it. They may as well be salmon instinctually swimming upstream to spawn...only exclusively with other male salmon.

And yet you speak of rights and how I am wrong if I fail to agree.

I said, IF one values rights, then one ought to value a right for same-sex marriage.   The operative word, being IF.  If one does not value rights, well, then the discussion will have to go to a whole different level.

In other words, I'm arguing that same-sex marriage is the most consistent stance in light of some particular values upon which I presume most of us value.

Wow. You have to be one of the most two-face, mealy-mouthed hypocrites cloaked in high-mindedness.

One second you're arguing semantics and grousing about religious overtones disguised in A&P language, then next thing you're doing is arguing what is "justifiable".

Until God be revealed "justifiable" is whatever the **** I say it is or whatever a majority of citizens consents.

So are you cool then, with 51% of the people voting to enslave the other 49%, if they so decide?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:05:03 AM by rubliw »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »

So are you cool then, with 51% of the people voting to enslave the other 49%, if they so decide?

Hmm, what was the percentage of people who voted for Obama? I'm down.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »
1. I'm not an atheist because I make no presuppositions as such things are not consistent open inquiry.

2. When I use the word "intent" I do not use it from the intelligent design viewpoint. That the heart is the sole means for pumping blood through the circulatory system is fact. It is not a matter of the heart being "better suited" over other organs. No ther organ can fill the role. The heart has no other role. Just because you have somehow managed to supplant higher cerebral functions with colorectal excrescence doesn't make the case that reproductive organs have some ephermal function akin to bestowing lifelong personal fulfillment.

3. You claim this is based on rights. Yet, you cannot/will not define what those rights should be and if those rights are qualified. You even go so far as to re-assert in the face on constant evidence to the contrary that some privileges are rights.

4. Claiming gay marriage is the same as left-handedness or high melanon counts is ridiculous. The former is merely a statistic and the latter is only a variation of kind. Reproductive organs are for reproduction. Any other variation/deviation will fail to produce offspring.

Until God be revealed any "rights" enshrined in our society are little more than fabrications of our own hand.

If 10% of the population decided to enslave 90% they would unless A) God delivers the 90% or B) the 90% reject the 10% even to a contest of arms. When has life ever been otherwise?

Now tell us how it is you demand gay marriage fits into the "consent of the governed" scheme and what if the governed reject the demands of the minority?

Homosexuality is not a moral imperative. Marriage is a social construct invented by humans. Homosexuals have every right heteroes do within the context of constitutional law. If the COTUS does not recognize a right it is beyond the ability of the feds to mandate an outcome becasue the feds can only compel what COTUS allows them to regulate. You are asking the feds to intercede where they have no power.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »
1. I'm not an atheist because I make no presuppositions as such things are not consistent open inquiry.

Ok

2. When I use the word "intent" I do not use it from the intelligent design viewpoint. That the heart is the sole means for pumping blood through the circulatory system is fact. It is not a matter of the heart being "better suited" over other organs. No ther organ can fill the role. The heart has no other role. Just because you have somehow managed to supplant higher cerebral functions with colorectal excrescence doesn't make the case that reproductive organs have some ephermal function akin to bestowing lifelong personal fulfillment.

Tell me, what is the purpose of an ostrich's wing?  Or a bat's eyes?

The fact that reproductive organs can facilitate some sort of personal fulfillment most certainly makes that a function that they perform, ipso facto.  And its left to our values to judge the import of that function.   Similarly, some detached observer might surmise that a function of the heart is  to pump blood in order to provide a good environment for the billions of bacteria that live inside our bodies.  Or maybe its to facilitate the existence of cancer cells.   Or maybe its to keep human minds alive.  In fact, it is all those those things - and we only usually think of it, so narrowly, as the latter  because that one is simply the most important to us - in our anthropic conceit - not nature's values.  Nature - so far as we know, from a scientific or medical perspective - is valueless.  

From a scientific perspective, there is no ephemeral ideal of man, to which our bodies and organs must conform - in fact, they always change - that's how evolution works.  So there is no moral indiscretion in using body parts for a function for which they are not highly specialized, or refusing to use them for a particular task at which they are highly specialized.   Nature doesn't care - its only we who care.   In millions of years we won't even be the same species - our descendants will have organs specialized for different tasks... there is no moral imperative on their part to conform to our old mold, as if we're the way its *supposed* to be.

And so from a scientific perspective, accusing homosexuals of using their organs for roles in which they are not highly specialized, tells us nothing morally relevant - at all.    We can call them aberrations all we want from a statistical perspective - but again, nothing morally relevant is conveyed.  No moral conclusions can be derived from such a categorization.

3. You claim this is based on rights. Yet, you cannot/will not define what those rights should be and if those rights are qualified. You even go so far as to re-assert in the face on constant evidence to the contrary that some privileges are rights.

4. Claiming gay marriage is the same as left-handedness or high melanon counts is ridiculous. The former is merely a statistic and the latter is only a variation of kind. Reproductive organs are for reproduction. Any other variation/deviation will fail to produce offspring.

Again, where is this moral imperative to always use our reproductive organs for reproduction?  Do you mean to tell us you use them for nothing else?

Until God be revealed any "rights" enshrined in our society are little more than fabrications of our own hand.

If 10% of the population decided to enslave 90% they would unless A) God delivers the 90% or B) the 90% reject the 10% even to a contest of arms. When has life ever been otherwise?

Ok... but so what - I asked what YOU would do.  If  YOU value rights, then we can have a conversation about whether same-sex marriage is more or less consistent with principled rights.   If you don't, then we need to have another conversation.

Now tell us how it is you demand gay marriage fits into the "consent of the governed" scheme and what if the governed reject the demands of the minority?

Rights often preserve liberties of minorities..

Homosexuality is not a moral imperative. Marriage is a social construct invented by humans. Homosexuals have every right heteroes do within the context of constitutional law. If the COTUS does not recognize a right it is beyond the ability of the feds to mandate an outcome becasue the feds can only compel what COTUS allows them to regulate. You are asking the feds to intercede where they have no power.

They certainly acted like they had that power in the case of miscegenation laws - where the supreme court ruled them unconstitutional, and that states had no rights what-so-ever to prevent mixed race couples from marrying.   I'd argue the same in regards to gender.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:30:22 PM by rubliw »

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
this is going to end up like the abortion thread, lonnnnnnng

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
Ya know...

...I was going to answer point by point but why bother. You like to muddy the water too much.

Let's keep it simple and reduce your argument to its (m)essence.

The fact that reproductive organs can facilitate some sort of personal fulfillment most certainly makes that a function that they perform, ipso facto.

So you're OK with all forms of sexual expression so long as it conveys personal fulfillment?

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
So you're OK with all forms of sexual expression so long as it conveys personal fulfillment?

All I said was that personal fulfillment was one of the myriad of functions that a sex organ can perform.

But at the center of any worthwhile moral system, I believe, should be the well-being of beings with minds... so if such expressions were positive for well-being, then generally yes.  If they were bad for well-being, either for themselves or others, they would probably be wrong.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
All I said was that personal fulfillment was one of the myriad of functions that a sex organ can perform.

But at the center of any worthwhile moral system, I believe, should be the well-being of beings with minds... so if such expressions were positive for well-being, then generally yes.  If they were bad for well-being, either for themselves or others, they would probably be wrong.

Sounds like NAMBLA's motto.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »

There you go with the double-speak again. Again I have a thousand holes to punch through but let's confine this to a singular point.

If there is no intent/purpose--be it bio or theo-logical--how can there be such a thing as well-being?

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »
Sounds like NAMBLA's motto.

Only if you think sex with underage boys is good for their well-being.....

• Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »
Only if you think sex with underage boys is good for their well-being.....
There are those who argue it is.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
There are those who argue it is.

The UN is all for it.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
The UN is all for it.

In wilbur's haste to argue there is no intent in biology and something should only be outlawed if it is bad he contradicts himself and forgets/neglects to account for the fact that NAMBLA et al argue their preferences convey a positive good.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
In wilbur's haste to argue there is no intent in biology and something should only be outlawed if it is bad he contradicts himself and forgets/neglects to account for the fact that NAMBLA et al argue their preferences convey a positive good.

And Muslims will argue that beating their wives is good for their well-being.   Most people do try to make cases for their own preferences are positive goods, so what?  It doesn't matter what they argue, it matters what is objectively true.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
And Muslims will argue that beating their wives is good for their well-being.   Most people do try to make cases for their own preferences are positive goods, so what?  It doesn't matter what they argue, it matters what is objectively true.

And some people, wilbur among them, argue simply for the sake of arguing.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
And Muslims will argue that beating their wives is good for their well-being.   Most people do try to make cases for their own preferences are positive goods, so what?  It doesn't matter what they argue, it matters what is objectively true.

What is objetively true is the fact that the most powerful civilization in human history became such based on the monogamous, heteroesexual nuclear family.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
There you go with the double-speak again. Again I have a thousand holes to punch through but let's confine this to a singular point.

If there is no intent/purpose--be it bio or theo-logical--how can there be such a thing as well-being?

There's just no reason why those two things must be necessary for well-being.  

Well-being, Eudimonia,  human flourishing, etc are relations between actual states of affairs and desires or values.   To the extent that states of affairs coincide with the true desires of mindful creatures, one will have well-being, and fulfillment.   Now the question becomes, how does this transcend the subjective?  Well, it can if there is something which is universally valued above all else, by human beings, or perhaps even all creatures with minds.  And if there is, we can say objective things - rooted in facts about the universe and human nature - about what will or won't lead to well-being,fulfillment and contentment.  And science is starting to have lot to say about human happiness and well-being, and what kinds of things *really* do lead to it, and what kinds of things do not.

Health actually works similarly.   If we *really* valued being riddled with viruses which cause painful conditions, we would measure health by the number of painful viruses that one had.  But we don't.  Its an objective fact of human nature, that those sorts of viruses are universally reviled.. so we can say that health is defined, at least in part, to be free of painful viruses.   This is objective, and true for everybody.

Just like health, *all* moral systems, even God based, must appeal to some universal desire in order to be persuasive.   If I don't value God's will, than can not be a universal moral imperative to follow him, for example.   To have any sort of coherent definition of health, or well-being... it *must* start with desires and values.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:04:45 PM by rubliw »

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
What is objetively true is the fact that the most powerful civilization in human history became such based on the monogamous, heteroesexual nuclear family.

Yea, I'm sure our country's success was directly correlated with a prohibition on same-sex marriages..... or not.

We also rose to power with legion amounts of institutionalized racism up until the civil rights movement... obviously it was racism that made this country great?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:59:00 PM by rubliw »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »
Yea, I'm sure our country's success was directly correlated with a prohibition on same-sex marriages..... or not.

collection of families = society

collection of societies = civilization

Please feel to form a predominantly homosexual society and we'll see how it prevails over the generations.

We also rose to power with legion amounts of institutionalized racism up until the civil rights movement... obviously it was racism that made this country great?

More false equivalency.

However, it should be noted that ever since liberalism sank its claws into the black family and destroyed the monogamous, hetero nuclear family black society has been all but destroyed.

Families = society = civilization

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2011, 04:57:32 AM »

Please feel to form a predominantly homosexual society and we'll see how it prevails over the generations.

More false equivalency.

However, it should be noted that ever since liberalism sank its claws into the black family and destroyed the monogamous, hetero nuclear family black society has been all but destroyed.

The Shaker Comunity best known for their wonderful art in furniture making is a good example of what can go wrong in a society that is different from the norm.

No sex= no reproduction to continue the traditions of the comunity.   They did adopt children but few as adults stayed, no amount of dancing and shaking would rid them of their natural inclinations.  It was only a year or two ago that the last member of the community died at a ripe old age, she left her faith and comunity to become an interesting part of history, the Shaker Village is now a tourest trap.

All kinds of interesting life styles have been tried in history, the Communes of the Hippies, the religious cults,
way back in the times of Greece life styles were toyed with, the Pacifistic comunities that did not last long, up to today ---Nothing has worked but the family, man woman and children society anywhere in the world.

This may be some sort of population control device that God has given to keep the world from exploding from overpopulation, famine and wars definitely remove millions from the Gene pool.  The push for abortion is another way to control population as do  natural disasters.

Who knows if this behavior is not usefull for mankind in the long run. Abortion and the Soilent Green factor are evil so we believe, and rightly so. However we cannot question God on why Gays exist, there must be some kind of purpose for them to do so.

The word Marriage came about to give legitimacy to the child born from a marriage, a right to claim an estate from parents that had died so the Church or Community would not leave the children without support.

Then marriage usually included a Dowry from the brides family's, this day it is a custom for the brides parents to pay for the wedding.  Marriage insured that kingdoms did not fight each other and for a time peace would come about.

It is difficult to see how the Gay comunity can make any claim to the word marriage under the original meaning.   I wonder when the Gay comunity will begin to own up to having to build their own traditions , wedding bands on the right hand, Civil Unions, and full Power of Attorney to each partner.?

Nothing is more threatening to straight people then a Gay living under the same traditions as themselves and making us believe they are trying to fool us.

Rant ended for now-----

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45:53 AM »

Great!  Let's institutionalize and legitimize same-sex couples... that makes more families = society = civilization.

This is simply an experiment that nobody is actually attempting.

Same-sex marriage certainly is not about replacing heterosexual marriage...

Homosexuals generally don't take part in heterosexual marriage - so they arent removing potential mates heterosexuals...

Nobody wants to make society predominantly gay... (not that its really even possible, even if somebody were trying)

More false equivalency.

And in this case, its generally conservatives (with more exceptions that I thought, given some of the responses in this thread though!) trying to preserve the non-existence of legitimized same-sex relationships, and in so doing, discourage monogamy and the creation of stable homes in the homosexual community. 

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #322 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
And some people, wilbur among them, argue simply for the sake of arguing.  :whatever:

That's because he's so much of a leftie loser that even his hand falls asleep during "private time".  It's all that he has left.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: March 31, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
And in this case, its generally conservatives (with more exceptions that I thought, given some of the responses in this thread though!) trying to preserve the non-existence of legitimized same-sex relationships, and in so doing, discourage monogamy and the creation of stable homes in the homosexual community. 

Except gays don't have families. It takes a mother and a father to have a family.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #324 on: March 31, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
Except gays don't have families. It takes a mother and a father to have a family.

What do you call a gay married (in places that allow it) couple with adopted kids?

And as an aside, I don't know about you but I generally think of married couples - even those without kids - as family units.