Author Topic: Something to clarify about unions and the public sector....  (Read 1369 times)

Offline TexasCop

Something to clarify about unions and the public sector....
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:35:24 PM »
Keep in mind I am speaking from experience solely in Texas and unions may be different in the north.

I have been a card carrying member of the Texas Fraternal Order of Police for the past 5 years and was part of the Texas Municipal Police Association for 12 years prior to that.  Technically, both are associations, but good luck figuring out the difference between unions and associations (unions elect their officers, association members elect theirs).  As a police officer, it's highly advisable to be a part of a union/association because of the legal coverage they provide.  I myself have had to use it when I was sued in state district court several years ago.  Well worth the money.  They also go to bat for our interests in Austin.  An example would be that we've begged for years for a law requiring motorists to vacate the lane next to the shoulder when we are on traffic stops.  The unions made that happen for us. 

Our unions do not barter for our salaries or compensation structures.  Those are determined by the cities/county/state where we work. 

From speaking with firefighters, their unions are very similar in structure and purpose.

Sooooo, when the FOP or a firefighter's union calls for donations, realize that they're not the enemy.  We use those funds to help sick and fallen officers and their families.  We don't use the funds to march on the state capitol to better our benefits.

Just wanted to toss this into the ring to clear up a misperception I saw earlier.

Offline Yukon

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • I am YUKON and I am BANNED
Re: Something to clarify about unions and the public sector....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
I dont believe what you say.

Keep in mind I am speaking from experience solely in Texas and unions may be different in the north.

I have been a card carrying member of the Texas Fraternal Order of Police for the past 5 years and was part of the Texas Municipal Police Association for 12 years prior to that.  Technically, both are associations, but good luck figuring out the difference between unions and associations (unions elect their officers, association members elect theirs).  As a police officer, it's highly advisable to be a part of a union/association because of the legal coverage they provide.  I myself have had to use it when I was sued in state district court several years ago.  Well worth the money.  They also go to bat for our interests in Austin.  An example would be that we've begged for years for a law requiring motorists to vacate the lane next to the shoulder when we are on traffic stops.  The unions made that happen for us. 

Our unions do not barter for our salaries or compensation structures.  Those are determined by the cities/county/state where we work. 

From speaking with firefighters, their unions are very similar in structure and purpose.

Sooooo, when the FOP or a firefighter's union calls for donations, realize that they're not the enemy.  We use those funds to help sick and fallen officers and their families.  We don't use the funds to march on the state capitol to better our benefits.

Just wanted to toss this into the ring to clear up a misperception I saw earlier.

My name is YUKON and I am CANADIAN !

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »

Offline Bertram

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
As a police officer, it's highly advisable to be a part of a union/association because of the legal coverage they provide. 

I've heard that union lawyers tend to look out for the image of the organization before the well being of the individual officer. Is this true?

Offline Yukon

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • I am YUKON and I am BANNED
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
Police are liars. I would never trust a policeman.
My name is YUKON and I am CANADIAN !

Offline Bertram

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »

That's a highly illogical conclusion who just accused Conservatives of having inferior logic processing.
Asking if Egypt will become democratic is like asking if a conservative will think logically - the answer is a resounding NO !

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »

Good start Yukon.....insulting members, particularly service menbers and first responders is a violation of our TOS.

Consider this a warning.....

BTW, it is customary for a new members to introduce themselves in the "Welcomes and Introductions" forum.  That might be a better way to begin your tenure here, however brief that might turn out to be.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
I've heard that union lawyers tend to look out for the image of the organization before the well being of the individual officer. Is this true?

That's if you use an attorney that also represents your employer, which you should NEVER do.  Trust me, union attorneys don't give a crap about your employer and that's who you want on your side!

Offline cmypay

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »

With the limited funds we have available for charities, the Firefighter's Fund gets first dibs (hubby is vol. firefighter) and then the FOP or Sheriff's Org.   In El Paso(my hometown), the Police and Firefighter contracts also have a "no strike" clause in them.  I could support a teacher's union a lot more if they had that same clause. Then I might believe they were in it "for the kids."

Offline Bertram

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

That's if you use an attorney that also represents your employer, which you should NEVER do.  Trust me, union attorneys don't give a crap about your employer and that's who you want on your side!

I used to be a Criminal Justice major, and it disgusts me how often police officers are sued. And it's not just the officer, it's their supervisor, the department and anyone else that that could possibly be involved. And how you have to take so many percussions make sure your property is lawsuit safe...
Too many lawsuits are on my list of problems of top problems with the United States.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »
The lawsuit against me was ultimately dropped since it was clear that what I had done was completely proper, legal and ethical.  The plaintiff was just upset and was lashing out at whomever he could.  He lost and I wasn't bitter about it.  It's why I keep legal coverage.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
Police have one of the hardest jobs in the world.  Imagine never knowing if the next stop or call will be some whacko pulling a gun on you.  Or having that happen, and then finding out too late that gun was plastic and the whacko was only 12...   :bawl:

I have one child that has considered law enforcement, and I am so glad he hasn't gotten there! 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »
It puts food on the table....

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 06:40:07 PM »
It puts food on the table....

There are way easier ways to do that!   :-)  For example, hitching up a mule, plowing a field, planting crops, harvesting and canning...

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »
Unions are like any other organization on the planet. Some are good and do good things and some are corrupt and do horrible things.
In the past few years it seems most unions have been eaten up with corruption and have become nothing more than an arm of the Democrat party, and lining the pockets of the bosses.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
There are way easier ways to do that!   :-)  For example, hitching up a mule, plowing a field, planting crops, harvesting and canning...

Yeah TC, you have a spare 850 acres or so wasting away, don't you?
What it Takes
(right column, under 'Web Only')
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston