Author Topic: Debate: Women's dress  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Boudicca

Re: Debate: Women's dress
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 08:16:30 PM »
While I don't condone rape at all, I've never completely bought the whole it's not about sex, it's about power meme.  A good looking woman walking down the street with her ass cheeks hanging over her shorts, her boobs bouncing with no bra, is imo asking for trouble.  Does that excuse the rapist?  HELL NO.  But, it'd be like dangling prime rib in front of one of my dogs.  At least some of the time, one of them is gonna bite. :p
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Adisa

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Debate: Women's dress
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »
Rape is about control...not about sex.

However.

Whether a woman is a hooker on a corner in a bad area of town, or a nun in a habit....in the same area....they are putting themselves in a situation - a known "dangerous" area - where they could be harmed, regardless of how they are dressed. Though they are in no way responsible for being raped....if they hadn't been in that specific area...they wouldn't have been raped, at least not there. They put themselves in a potentially dangerous situation, and they are responsible for doing so.

This is no different from a missionary going into an area extremely dangerous to anyone not of the "local religion", just because the missionary feels the "call to convert natives to Christianity". The missionary is captured, tortured, and/or raped, and Special Ops guys are sent to rescue them, before the missionary is murdered thus severely endangering rescuers too...because the people "back home", wherever home is, want their Missionary loved one back.

Or a journalist, going into a dangerous situation all because of the "story".

Regardless of why an individual goes into a dangerous situation, they must realize that they elected to do so...and also realize that bad things can happen, no matter how good the intention.

If an individual persists in doing so....they should at the very least, TRY to minimize their presence by looking as inconspicuous as possible.

To not do so....is just stupid.

I agree.