Author Topic: good morning Friday  (Read 2297 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
good morning Friday
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:49:34 AM »
Damn.

I thought it was unreasonably cold for ostensibly being a "low" of circa 25 degrees F.

It's actually 8 degrees F, out here in the Sandhills of Nebraska this fine Friday morning.

The weather prediction was wrong again, but excresence happens.

Topic of the day: do you have a preparedness plan for your pets, in case of catastrophe?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jendf

Re: good morning Friday
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »
I treated myself to a slice of Starbucks Lemon Pound Cake this morning for breakfast. May I just say...it is scrumptious!

TOTD: I have no pets, hence, no preparedness plan.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:57:33 AM »
Rainy morning here in the mitten 37 and somewhat windy. All of the snow from the last snowstorm is now gone and the world once again looks grey and ugly here. As far as pets go 2 felines and a very old dog I wouldn't have a problem getting the dog to leave the cats on the other hand would probably get me killed trying to save them :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:29 AM »
I have no pets, but 3 cats have me.  Two inside and one outside infest my property.  They are on their own for a while if there is a disaster.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:06 AM »
I have no pets, but 3 cats have me.  Two inside and one outside infest my property.  They are on their own for a while if there is a disaster.

Yeah, the reason I asked was because earlier this morning, while looking for something else, I came across something concerning emergency preparedness plans for pet rabbits.

One wonders if domesticated animals really need survival plans; I suspect they can revert to their natural nature, including their survival instincts, a great deal better than humans can.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
Good morning.  A rainy morning here...makes it difficult to resist the urge to crawl back into bed!

Making my daughter's request for dinner tonight...a cheap, easy meal my mom used to make when I was a kid...brings back great memories.  Man, I wish my kids could have met my mom.

TOTD:  When I was in FL, we had a plan for evacuation with the critters.  Any evacuation type situation, the critters would come with me.  If it's just a catastophic event/end of the world type thing, they would probably be on their own, as one can not herd cats.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:06:23 AM »
cold here, road restrictions ..usual stuff...
I have a rabbit..I didn't know I was to have an emergency disaster plan in place.  In fact, he's sort of my emergency disaster plan, as rabbit prepared correctly is quite tasty

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
It's supposed to be colder here today. High of 35 today. I'm supposed to go out grocery shopping today, along with meeting with a former employer later to see if I can get my old collections job back. Yeah, the job was a little stressful, but the money was good, and I was damn good at what I did.

TOTD: Not really. If something happens, it happens. But if I am with my dog if say, a tornado touches down, I can make sure my dog gets in the basement. Like last year with my late black Lab.... he NEVER went in the basement for nothing. We had 80 mph winds and a devestating T-storm here last April, and my front door blew open and the screen door blew off, and I yelled "Everybody in the ****in' basement NOW!" The dog ran down before everybody else who was over!  :-)

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
we do have a preparedness plan for the dog and two cats.

one of us will stuff the two cats in one car.. most likely leaving claw marks from the place they were sleeping, all the way down the stairs and out into the garage.

the dog doesnt jump into the back of my car so well anymore cause he's 9 now.

he'll just ride in the corvette with jeff to safety..

barring that, about all we have is extra food and dishes for them. oh, and our security monitoring system knows we have animals... so they would make sure the firemen knew there were animals here should something arise while we're not home.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
we do have a preparedness plan for the dog and two cats.

one of us will stuff the two cats in one car.. most likely leaving claw marks from the place they were sleeping, all the way down the stairs and out into the garage.

the dog doesnt jump into the back of my car so well anymore cause he's 9 now.

he'll just ride in the corvette with jeff to safety..

barring that, about all we have is extra food and dishes for them. oh, and our security monitoring system knows we have animals... so they would make sure the firemen knew there were animals here should something arise while we're not home.

Wow Lauri, I feel very inadequate now. 

I do have 2 cats.  I'd manage to get Monty into the carrier.  Mia sits still and falls asleep in the car, so she'd be fine loose.  I'd grab whatever food I have, and hopefully it's more than one days worth.  The carrier's near the food, so that's good.

And I do know where Monty will be hiding, under my bed or in my closet, so that's good.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »
Dog ends up in the car..I keep food in a ziploc bag I change out every so often just for her...we keep water on hand anyway so a jug or two for her until we reach our destination.

About sums it up.