Author Topic: New Jersey campaign courts Illinois business  (Read 1856 times)

Offline thundley4

New Jersey campaign courts Illinois business
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
AP Article

While running errands earlier, I heard two commercials on the radio by NJ governor Christie touting NJ as being more business friendly than Illinois.   :banghead:

Offline formerlurker

Re: New Jersey campaign courts Illinois business
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
NJ has to be more expensive to live also than most of IL.    That said, good for him.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
NJ has to be more expensive to live also than most of IL.    That said, good for him.

I think most people on the coasts think that Illinois consists of Cook County and that Springfield is a small town right outside of Chicago.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
The southern half of Jersey, up to and including at least Burlington County, would probably be cheaper than Cook & Lake County, and the surrounding area, in Illinois.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

The southern half of Jersey, up to and including at least Burlington County, would probably be cheaper than Cook & Lake County, and the surrounding area, in Illinois.

I second Tanker, South Jersey is affordable.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
Housing prices:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/nar_4q/price.html

taxes/income:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/15/property-taxes-high-lifestyle-real-estate-counties-assessment-taxes-chart.html

I don't know.  I think if you are trying to get corporations to jump ship to NJ, you have to consider the bump up in cost of living, which I do believe is more expensive.   NJ is a prime area in driving distance to NYC and Philly.      

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:08:32 AM »
It's a whole lot cheaper to be in driving distance of Philly than NYC, and the schools are a damned sight better too, as long as you stay the Hell away from Camden ("NJ's answer to E. St. Louis").

North Jersey, the Shore, and South Jersey are all entirely different places, with very different property taxation levels, costs of living, and quality of life.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
It's a whole lot cheaper to be in driving distance of Philly than NYC, and the schools are a damned sight better too, as long as you stay the Hell away from Camden ("NJ's answer to E. St. Louis").

North Jersey, the Shore, and South Jersey are all entirely different places, with very different property taxation levels, costs of living, and quality of life.

NJ used to have an outstanding school system.  No idea what happened there.   Taxes are crazy there though.  I don't know how people do it. 

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
NJ used to have an outstanding school system.  No idea what happened there.   Taxes are crazy there though.  I don't know how people do it. 

same things that have happened to many states' school systems -- the out-of-control NJEA union crap is responsible for most of it.

Some taxes are high, some are not . . . mine are under 3k a year which is pretty reasonable.  Property taxes are tied to the school system funding so there's one of the big problems.  Another is that NJ has over 600 separate school districts which rely on that property tax funding, so there's another huge problem.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail