Author Topic: In an Absolut world - Mexico reconquers California in ad campaign  (Read 2252 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA  and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona. (Texas actually split from Mexico several years earlier to form a breakaway republic, and was voluntarily annexed by the United States in 1846.)

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: “Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It’s very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea.”

But he said that were the campaign to run in the United States, it might fall flat.

“Many people aren’t going to understand it here. Americans in the East and the North or in the center of the county -- I don’t know if they know much about the history.

“Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don’t know how they’d take it.”

Meanwhile, the campaign has been circulating on the blogs and generating strong responses from people north of the border.

“I find this ad deeply offensive, and needlessly divisive. I will now make a point of drinking other brands. And 'vodka and tonic' is my drink,” said one visitor, called New Yorker, on MexicoReporter.com.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2008/04/mexico-reconque.html

Michelle Malkin does some great reporting on this -

But first: The advertising firm that created the Absolut Reconquista ad is Teran/TBWA. Teran is based in Mexico City. The company’s website boasts a pretentious statement of philosophy advocating “disruption” as a “tool for change” and “agent of growth.” (Scroll your mouse over the little buttons in the upper-right margin.) The firm advocates “overturning assumptions and prejudices that get in the way of imagining new possibilities and visionary ideas that help create a larger share of the future.”

Translation: The company advocates overturning borders that get in the way of imagining new maps of North America that help Mexico create a larger share of the continent.
Absolut responds thusly:
The In An Absolut World advertising campaign invites consumers to visualize a world that appeals to them — one they feel may be more idealized or one that may be a bit “fantastic.” As such, the campaign will elicit varying opinions and points of view. We have a variety of executions running in countries worldwide, and each is germane to that country and that population.

This particular ad, which ran in Mexico, was based upon historical perspectives and was created with a Mexican sensibility. In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues. Instead, it hearkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal.

As a global company, we recognize that people in different parts of the world may lend different perspectives or interpret our ads in a different way than was intended in that market. Obviously, this ad was run in Mexico, and not the US — that ad might have been very different.

By Paula Eriksson, VP Corporate Communications, V&S Absolut Spirits

Check out the link to see emails and reactions from the vodka company -
http://michellemalkin.com/
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: In an Absolut world - Mexico reconquers California in ad campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »
Absolut Boycott
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:51:59 PM »
I see a molehill has been made into quite a large mountain.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:56:09 PM »
I see a molehill has been made into quite a large mountain.

That was my first thought.

But I don't really drink anyways, so I could care less.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346964,00.html

MEXICO CITY —  The Absolut vodka company apologized Saturday for an ad campaign depicting the southwestern U.S. as part of Mexico amid angry calls for a boycott by U.S. consumers.

The campaign, which promotes ideal scenarios under the slogan "In an Absolut World," showed a 1830s-era map when Mexico included California, Texas and other southwestern states. Mexico still resents losing that territory in the 1848 Mexican-American War and the fight for Texas independence.

But the ads, which ran only in Mexico and have since ended, came as the United States builds up its border security amid an emotional debate over illegal immigration from their southern neighbor.

More than a dozen calls to boycott Absolut were posted on michellemalkin.com, a Web site operated by conservative columnist Michelle Malkin. The ads sparked heated comment on a half-dozen other Internet sites and blogs.

"In no way was it meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," Absolut said in a statement left on its consumer inquiry phone line.

Some fringe U.S. groups also claim the land is rightfully part of Mexico, while extreme immigration foes argue parts of the U.S. already are being overtaken by Mexico.

"In an Absolut world, a company that produces vodka fires its entire marketing department in a desperate attempt to win back enraged North American customers after a disastrous ad campaign backfires," a person using the moniker "SalsaNChips" wrote on Malkin's Web site.

A plan for comprehensive immigration reform designed to deal with an estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the United States — the vast majority from Mexico — collapsed last summer under the emotional weight of the debate.

Absolut said the ad was designed for a Mexican audience and intended to recall "a time which the population of Mexico might feel was more ideal."

"As a global company, we recognize that people in different parts of the world may lend different perspectives or interpret our ads in a different way than was intended in that market, and for that we apologize."

Vin & Sprit, Absolut's Sweden-based parent company, will be acquired by French spirit maker Pernod Ricard SA under a deal reached last week.

"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:49:45 AM »
They can't even run their own ****ing country. Let'em get that shit in order before that start talking about reconquering part of America.....and getting bitchslapped back to Mexico in the process.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
In no way was it meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," Absolut said in a statement left on its consumer inquiry phone line.

BULLSH*T!!!!!!!

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »
They can't even run their own ******* country. Let'em get that shit in order before that start talking about reconquering part of America.....and getting bitchslapped back to Mexico in the process.

they weren't talking about reconquering anything.  A european vodka company was using the old "appeal to emotion/nostalgia" trick.  It was not a statement by the mexican government.

once again, mountain out of a molehill.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
They can't even run their own ******* country. Let'em get that shit in order before that start talking about reconquering part of America.....and getting bitchslapped back to Mexico in the process.

they weren't talking about reconquering anything.  A european vodka company was using the old "appeal to emotion/nostalgia" trick.  It was not a statement by the mexican government.

I hate to agree, but I have to.  I never would have seen that ad if it weren't posted here.  Plus, I can't in good conscience condemn this after doing some shopping at the local Dixie Outfitter Store this weekend.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:25 AM »

I hate to agree, but I have to.  I never would have seen that ad if it weren't posted here.  Plus, I can't in good conscience condemn this after doing some shopping at the local Dixie Outfitter Store this weekend.
That's because the ad was created by a Mexican ad agency and was for Mexico, not the U.S. It got press here for obvious reasons. And given the not so subtle sentiments of the Mexicans in California, I can see why people are pissed off about it. Obviously, the reconquistas will never have their way and it's all bluster, but people have a right to be pissed off at this company for fanning the flames. And the Mexicans can sh*t in one hand, and wish in the other and see which fills up faster.

And I love Dixie Outfitters. I try to go every time I'm nearby.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »

That's because the ad was created by a Mexican ad agency and was for Mexico, not the U.S. It got press here for obvious reasons. And given the not so subtle sentiments of the Mexicans in California, I can see why people are pissed off about it. Obviously, the reconquistas will never have their way and it's all bluster, but people have a right to be pissed off at this company for fanning the flames. And the Mexicans can sh*t in one hand, and wish in the other and see which fills up faster.

That is why I don't give this a second thought.  If they run that ad here, then I'll get pissed.  Absolut will just have to deal with any repercussions fro the ad. Of course we know there will be none, because Americans don't boycott anything.  Personally, I don't drink clear liquor anyway.  And I doubt I'll ever have to worry about the good people of Southern Comfort making suchan ad.  They know where their bread is buttered.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »

That is why I don't give this a second thought.  If they run that ad here, then I'll get pissed.  Absolut will just have to deal with any repercussions fro the ad. Of course we know there will be none, because Americans don't boycott anything.  Personally, I don't drink clear liquor anyway.  And I doubt I'll ever have to worry about the good people of Southern Comfort making suchan ad.  They know where their bread is buttered.
Well it is a tempest in a teapot because we all know that map is never coming to fruition. But given the sentiments south of the border, it's a bit troubling. Let's not forget that the reconquista movement is real. They don't need any fanning of the flames. And while I don't find it too bothersome, it's frustrating because of the illegal immigration problem and the lack of forceful action by our govt. It's a sore spot for a lot of people.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »

Well it is a tempest in a teapot because we all know that map is never coming to fruition. But given the sentiments south of the border, it's a bit troubling. Let's not forget that the reconquista movement is real. They don't need any fanning of the flames. And while I don't find it too bothersome, it's frustrating because of the illegal immigration problem and the lack of forceful action by our govt. It's a sore spot for a lot of people.

Don't be so sure, if all the illegals get citizenship handed to them, they'll run for office in those areas especially, and the southwest will essentially be Mexico again.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
They already have their sympathizers in place. They are already taking over parts of the U.S. Not to get all "moonbatty" and sound like a conspiracy theorist, but take a drive through parts of the U.S. and you'll see it. I'm sure you already do since it's not limited to border towns now.

Our city has been held hostage by the illegal immigration issue for years now. In fact, a dispute over a day laborer site brought the city council to it's knees. The mayor was ousted along with several other folks. Our P.D. finally got I.C.E. training and funding so they can enforce the laws and round up the illegals. But in the years since, parts of our community have been devastated. Businesses have folded, crime has gone up, property values went down, schools are overburdened with kids who can't speak a word of English, etc...and many organizations in this region are willing accomplices. One local organization passes out flyers with instructions on how to "avoid being deported" and how to "get social services".

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
They already have their sympathizers in place. They are already taking over parts of the U.S. Not to get all "moonbatty" and sound like a conspiracy theorist, but take a drive through parts of the U.S. and you'll see it. I'm sure you already do since it's not limited to border towns now.

Our city has been held hostage by the illegal immigration issue for years now. In fact, a dispute over a day laborer site brought the city council to it's knees. The mayor was ousted along with several other folks. Our P.D. finally got I.C.E. training and funding so they can enforce the laws and round up the illegals. But in the years since, parts of our community have been devastated. Businesses have folded, crime has gone up, property values went down, schools are overburdened with kids who can't speak a word of English, etc...and many organizations in this region are willing accomplices. One local organization passes out flyers with instructions on how to "avoid being deported" and how to "get social services".

......and that will be the basis for a second civil war.