Author Topic: remote thru the router  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
remote thru the router
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
I  can't remember how to  set up  the router so I can remote to the other puters on  home network.
I  know I should know....but that's another one of the holes in the swiss cheese brain :???: :???:
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: remote thru the router
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »
I  can't remember how to  set up  the router so I can remote to the other puters on  home network.
I  know I should know....but that's another one of the holes in the swiss cheese brain :???: :???:

It's more a question of setting up the other computers on the network properly if you want to get access to them. Which version of Windows and what, exactly are you wanting to accomplish?
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
Usin XP on both laptops...want to be able to remote from one laptop to the other so I could run like programs from  my laptop on the other one without having to pick in up and run a program
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
You might try setting up Remote Desktopâ„¢, supplied with XP for anything more intensive than sharing files and devices.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »
I've turned it on on both laptops...but I prolly did somethin wrong...maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
I've turned it on on both laptops...but I prolly did somethin wrong...maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

You also have to send a request to the computer to have a remote desktop connection and that request has to be accepted I believe.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »

Once Remote desktop is activated - you'll need to use the Remote desktop client - enter in the IP address of the second computer and so forth.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 06:35:26 AM »
Once Remote desktop is activated - you'll need to use the Remote desktop client - enter in the IP address of the second computer and so forth.
I did that but it won't connect....I  thought I had to open a port on the router, but That part of my memory is scrambled...
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 07:22:10 AM »
I did that but it won't connect....I  thought I had to open a port on the router, but That part of my memory is scrambled...

Can you see the other computer on the network?? If so, then the router is working fine. (I'm not up on remote desktop because  never use it. I turn the damned thing off on every installation because it opens one's computer up to hacking.)

Offline korporal_krakrs

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
A few questions...

1) You WILL be using Remote Desktop, yes?

2) What is the operating system on the computer you want to allow remote desktop connections to?  XP?  Vista (gasp)?  Win7?

3) If you don't mind telling me, what kind of router are you using?  The model number, i.e. "Linksys WRT54GL".  If it's an ISP provided router (like ATT U-Verse or something) I might not be much help here, but we can give it a shot!  If you don't want to tell me, I can give you a rough idea of what you'll need to do possibly, but not as much of a step-by-step.

4) How many routers/devices do you have between your machine and your gateway device?  In other words, is the flow "your machine > router > internet (wall jack)"?  Or is it like "your machine > some router or device > router > internet (wall jack)"?

5) Is your home machine set to obtain a dynamic IP address from your router?  If you don't know, we can figure it out when I know what version of Windows you're using (the easiest way to explain how to find out changed a bit between WinXP and Vista).

6) Have you ever heard of Dynamic DNS?  (http://dyndns.com)  If so, do you already have an account?  (I think you can only get one dynamic domain name-to-IP address mapping for free with them)

I think that's all I would need to know to tell you how to do it, or at least explain the way I've done it before.

~ kk
Back to the pipe...   :stoner:

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
(I'm not up on remote desktop because  never use it. I turn the damned thing off on every installation because it opens one's computer up to hacking.)

I am of like mind ...
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline korporal_krakrs

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
I'm not aware of any remote desktop problems.  Sure, someone could open a remote session and try to hack into your machine by trying to crack your password (repeated login attempts), but if you have a descent password and have a lockout threshold enabled (lock the account for 5 mins after 5 invalid tries for instance) it makes cracking extremely difficult, extremely impractical, probably impossible.  Here's a neat chart:

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi

Without a lockout, with a complex password (say upper, lower, special characters) of 8 characters, it would take a supercomputer 83.5 days to crack the password.  With a 5 minute lockout after each 5 failed passwords, you're looking at, well...

1,000,000,000 passwords/sec  (Class F super computer hack)
There are 200,000,000 groups of 5 password attempts (after 5 attempts we'll lock them out for 5 minutes)
This is where my math gets fuzzy, but I believe if you make the hacker wait 5 minutes after every 5 invalid passwords, you're adding 200,000,000 5 minutes intervals to their hack-time, which breaks down to 694,444 hours, or 1902 YEARS!  And remember, this is for a SUPER computer!  I'm sure we'd be talking about up-teen millenia for Joe Blow hacker.

Of course if there are any other attacks that happen over port 3389 that I'm not aware of that don't attempt to crack a password, then that's another story.  And if you know of one, let me know!  Cuz I use RDP for work all the time!!!  haha

~ k

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
I'm not aware of any remote desktop problems.  Sure, someone could open a remote session and try to hack into your machine by trying to crack your password (repeated login attempts), but if you have a descent password and have a lockout threshold enabled (lock the account for 5 mins after 5 invalid tries for instance) it makes cracking extremely difficult, extremely impractical, probably impossible.  Here's a neat chart:

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi

Without a lockout, with a complex password (say upper, lower, special characters) of 8 characters, it would take a supercomputer 83.5 days to crack the password.  With a 5 minute lockout after each 5 failed passwords, you're looking at, well...

1,000,000,000 passwords/sec  (Class F super computer hack)
There are 200,000,000 groups of 5 password attempts (after 5 attempts we'll lock them out for 5 minutes)
This is where my math gets fuzzy, but I believe if you make the hacker wait 5 minutes after every 5 invalid passwords, you're adding 200,000,000 5 minutes intervals to their hack-time, which breaks down to 694,444 hours, or 1902 YEARS!  And remember, this is for a SUPER computer!  I'm sure we'd be talking about up-teen millenia for Joe Blow hacker.

Of course if there are any other attacks that happen over port 3389 that I'm not aware of that don't attempt to crack a password, then that's another story.  And if you know of one, let me know!  Cuz I use RDP for work all the time!!!  haha

~ k

KK, apparently you're not aware of how many end users simply don't use a password.... I know of more people than not.

Offline korporal_krakrs

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
KK, apparently you're not aware of how many end users simply don't use a password.... I know of more people than not.

Well, ok, yes, you need to have a password.  I would assume someone who would want to use remote desktop probably has a password.  If you're not using a password for every account on your computer, don't use remote desktop.  haha

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
When you run the out of the box setup on most brand name XP home machines it creates a user account which may or may not have a password, depending on the user. Leaves the administrator account with a null default password.