Author Topic: 'Fair Tax' Debate Returns to Congress  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
'Fair Tax' Debate Returns to Congress
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
ANALYSIS | When the 112th Congress convenes Jan. 5, 2011, there will be a new tax proposal on the table in the House. House Resolution 25, with the support of five congressmen, will be introduced for legislation. The bill is titled the Fair Tax Act and would abolish the IRS and have a national sales tax for everyone in the United States.

Not only have some elder statesmen endorsed the idea, but new members of Congress are also on board, including Georgia's Rob Woodall and Missouri's Billy Long, both Republicans. If enacted, the new law would be the first major overhaul of the tax structure since the creation of an income tax. Steve King of Iowa has a nice video explaining how a "fair tax" would work. Woodall says he has 55 co-sponsors of the bill and 10 fresh faces willing to support the measure.

A national sales tax would be based upon the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the United States. The higher the GDP, the more sales taxes the United States would collect. It would make the budget of the United States more in line with the current economy. If sales go up, the budget goes up. If sales go down, the federal budget goes down. ---MORE---

:bday:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: 'Fair Tax' Debate Returns to Congress
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
It'd be fine with me, but it just seems the income tax is too entrenched and too many special interests have special deals under the existing system, including the home mortgage interest deduction but also accelerated depreciation for business property and all sort of other little special bells and whistles.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
Oh I so want the fair tax...it's just so damn...fair! That word absolutely dominates the left's world view. You'd think they'd be all for it.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
Oh I so want the fair tax...it's just so damn...fair! That word absolutely dominates the left's world view. You'd think they'd be all for it.

Cindie

They're a lot bigger on rhetoric than reality.  But then, you already knew that.

:cheersmate:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »

Cindie

You and me both dear.  Lord I would love to see the Fair Tax made law.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

Cindie

The left are fond of Newspeak. Their definition of 'fair' is anything but..

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
It'd be fine with me, but it just seems the income tax is too entrenched and too many special interests have special deals under the existing system, including the home mortgage interest deduction but also accelerated depreciation for business property and all sort of other little special bells and whistles.   
Anytime you have to plumb 20,000 pages to ensure you're being a good citizen the state has made it too cumbersome to be good.

For on-looking civilian types, military folks like me and DAT call that: being set-up for failure.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline true_blood

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
Cindie
I agree. I have no problem with it all. I'm all for the fair tax.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
Snowball's chance in hell but, it's nice to see some conservative thought on capital hill for a change.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
Right you are, MSB, as far as us poor law-abiding (or trying to be) taxpayers go, but I'm also talking about the fact the existing tax code is chock full of special nuggets for various industries and special interests, many of them not obvious at all, who will fight tooth and nail and call in every marker with Congress to prevent replacing the income tax code with a Fair Tax.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:33:30 AM »
Anytime you have to plumb 20,000 pages to ensure you're being a good citizen the state has made it too cumbersome to be good.

For on-looking civilian types, military folks like me and DAT call that: being set-up for failure.

I guess I'm just in the girl scouts now, huh?  And you forgot TRG as well.  Push, leg, til I get tired...  :gunny:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
I guess I'm just in the girl scouts now, huh?  And you forgot TRG as well.  Push, leg, til I get tired...  :gunny:

Let us know how fly-up time goes, kid.  Neither you nor Tex had posted in the thread, which is probably why he omitted your pop-up-target-like self.

:tongue:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »

Can you spare a brotha some Do-Si-Dos?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

I'd gladly give up my mortgage deduction for a Fair/Consumption Tax.  Even drug dealers have to buy toilet paper!

Don't tax what we EARN, tax what we spend ! 

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:39 PM »
Can you spare a brotha some Do-Si-Dos?

And how many boxes would you like, sir?  :-)

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
abolish the IRS

This part put a huge smile on my face.

I am all for a fair tax.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline longview

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »
I think I'd rather see a flat rate tax.  Quite honestly, though, I'm not sure which would be most beneficial to country and citizens. 

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
I think I'd rather see a flat rate tax.  Quite honestly, though, I'm not sure which would be most beneficial to country and citizens. 
If I were sufficiently wealthy I would liquidate my assets and divide the cash into 53 piles (one for each year to the age of 100),
and live on each pile (or less), and earn ZERO income.  --And then campaign my butt off against any form of consumption tax...

With a consumption tax replacing the income tax, wealth (little or big) is taxed when it is enjoyed (used to buy goods and services) rather than when it is earned.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
If I were sufficiently wealthy I would liquidate my assets and divide the cash into 53 piles (one for each year to the age of 100),
and live on each pile (or less), and earn ZERO income.  --And then campaign my butt off against any form of consumption tax...

With a consumption tax replacing the income tax, wealth (little or big) is taxed when it is enjoyed (used to buy goods and services) rather than when it is earned.

While that sounds great, that's not reality.  Very few people in this country aren't in that position.  Plus, the fair tax would make those who currently pay no taxes put some skin in the game, while disincentivizing illegal immigration (all purchases would be taxed, including those for living expenses, because illegals wouldn't get the prebate) and getting tax revenue from criminal activity (finally drug dealers will contribute something productive).

Offline longview

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
Those are good points. 

BTW, EGE... Where would you happen to be burying those 53 piles of dough?   :wink: