Author Topic: Latency Problems  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Latency Problems
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
Why would a sound card cause latency problems when I can see no conflicts??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Latency Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
Are you having playback issues?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
No, just network latency issues. I yanked the sound card out and it's better.  :???:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:29 PM »
No IRQ or resource conflicts?  I'll have to think about that for a bit.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »
I remember reading that Abit boards had PCI slots that "conflicted" with other peripherals. I swapped PCI slots and everything is mo betta now.  :???:

It must be some idiosyncrasy of my Gigabyte board. :clueless:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
I vaguely remember having a problem like that in the distant past. 

Today was a bit of a busman's holiday here as I ended up doing a complete re-install of XP Home with all service packages, virus protection, wireless card, wireless keyboard set, printer, and Office package a computer I use for streaming to my TV.   

While I did not clock the operation, a rough idea of time taken was just after morning beagle walk (8:30 am ) until now ( 2:00pm). I will admit I also managed to do numerous other things in between so I did not sit right on top of the install process.  It is a dual core with 2 gig ram and a SATA 250 hd.

The next thing I plan on doing is finding my copy of Norton Ghost which I bought years ago and a few disks to Ghost this bad boy before I end up in this situation again.  It was taken out by a virus the other day that McAfee didn't catch.  The new install is now running Avast....I had gone out to look for a download of The Pentegon Wars and only browsed  a couple sites, I did not even start a down load.   :thatsright:  WAM, a trojan took out the root.

First I lost my main computer to a MOBO failure now this.  It's scary when I only have three computers on line. :-)

A replacement computer is on order (barebones), a quad core, ASUS MOBO 2gig ram, a 1T hd, 500w ps, and dvd burner.  It replaces a unit that has been a reliable preformer for I don't remember how long, maybe five years or better, which I also built from parts and an existing case. Along the way I have had to r/r hard drives, power supplies and such.  I probably have spent less than a single trip to the shop costs.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
I vaguely remember having a problem like that in the distant past. 

Today was a bit of a busman's holiday here as I ended up doing a complete re-install of XP Home with all service packages, virus protection, wireless card, wireless keyboard set, printer, and Office package a computer I use for streaming to my TV.   

While I did not clock the operation, a rough idea of time taken was just after morning beagle walk (8:30 am ) until now ( 2:00pm). I will admit I also managed to do numerous other things in between so I did not sit right on top of the install process.  It is a dual core with 2 gig ram and a SATA 250 hd.

The next thing I plan on doing is finding my copy of Norton Ghost which I bought years ago and a few disks to Ghost this bad boy before I end up in this situation again.  It was taken out by a virus the other day that McAfee didn't catch.  The new install is now running Avast....I had gone out to look for a download of The Pentegon Wars and only browsed  a couple sites, I did not even start a down load.   :thatsright:  WAM, a trojan took out the root.

First I lost my main computer to a MOBO failure now this.  It's scary when I only have three computers on line. :-)

A replacement computer is on order (barebones), a quad core, ASUS MOBO 2gig ram, a 1T hd, 500w ps, and dvd burner.  It replaces a unit that has been a reliable preformer for I don't remember how long, maybe five years or better, which I also built from parts and an existing case. Along the way I have had to r/r hard drives, power supplies and such.  I probably have spent less than a single trip to the shop costs.

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to reinstall Malwarebytes.  :thatsright: I'm running a scan as I write and it's found one infection. I don't know what it is right now, but I'm thinking it's some sort of spyware, which most Anti-viruses won't catch. I guess where I got confused is that when I swapped slots, my latency problem went away.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to reinstall Malwarebytes.  :thatsright: I'm running a scan as I write and it's found one infection. I don't know what it is right now, but I'm thinking it's some sort of spyware, which most Anti-viruses won't catch. I guess where I got confused is that when I swapped slots, my latency problem went away.

Malwarebytes, damn I fogot that too.  In truth I keep it and Hijack This on a thumb drive. 

It is my considred opinion that those who write viruses should be hunted down and skinned (skun?} alive.   :argh:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
Well, I found out what it was. A false alarm in my case. So..... back to figuring out why one PCI slot causes latency and the other doesn't.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »
Well, I found out what it was. A false alarm in my case. So..... back to figuring out why one PCI slot causes latency and the other doesn't.

Good luck.  I am not having a very good time with my last fresh install.  I am having hang ups with both Avast and Malwarebytes.   I am not a happy camper at this point and may just boot out to Linux to see what the disk looks like from the outside looking in.  Avast couldn't even complete a boot time scan, failing at 96 % . 

I have disabled the wireless on it.  Garrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
Good luck.  I am not having a very good time with my last fresh install.  I am having hang ups with both Avast and Malwarebytes.   I am not a happy camper at this point and may just boot out to Linux to see what the disk looks like from the outside looking in.  Avast couldn't even complete a boot time scan, failing at 96 % . 

I have disabled the wireless on it.  Garrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

Which Windows Version??

Offline cmypay

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »

No idea why this would happen, but it also happened to me on my desktop.  Ended up switching out the sound card completely.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
Which Windows Version??

XP home w/sp3 installed.  After the last hang up today I did a repair, that got me no where. Now it is popping a load screen for "Status", and prompting for a disk ..... I have never seen that before.  I am done fooling around. New machine is on the back of the UPS truck somewhere in the area, once I build that I will pull the other drive and slave it off, do a complete wipe then go from there.  I did a full NTFS format the first time  but something must have  hung in there.   

Off to find my Linux boot disk and wait for the UPS guy.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
XP home w/sp3 installed.  After the last hang up today I did a repair, that got me no where. Now it is popping a load screen for "Status", and prompting for a disk ..... I have never seen that before.  I am done fooling around. New machine is on the back of the UPS truck somewhere in the area, once I build that I will pull the other drive and slave it off, do a complete wipe then go from there.  I did a full NTFS format the first time  but something must have  hung in there.  

Off to find my Linux boot disk and wait for the UPS guy.

I would suggest that you get Darik's Boot & Nuke, wipe the hard drive completely and start all over. (it takes a day or two to get it done, but it's all unattended once you start it. I've NEVER encountered a problem with XP and Malwarebytes or Avast. It's possible that you have a corrupted sector on your hard drive. (Chkdisk should find that, though) Even with W7, 64 bit, all of my programs run smoothly.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:58 AM »
I would suggest that you get Darik's Boot & Nuke, wipe the hard drive completely and start all over. (it takes a day or two to get it done, but it's all unattended once you start it. I've NEVER encountered a problem with XP and Malwarebytes or Avast. It's possible that you have a corrupted sector on your hard drive. (Chkdisk should find that, though) Even with W7, 64 bit, all of my programs run smoothly.

I was just browsing Best Buy for W7.  So many flavors.  Yikes from $79.-399. Quite a price spread!!

Interesting aside, my favorite distro of Knopix bootable disk didn't on the downstairs Amd based machine. It is an old disk but still. And the new unit is giving me fits booting a 32 bit disk.  At this point I slog on.

What version of W7 do you have?  Upgrade or full new install?

Back on my head I have a disk cooking as I type. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »

I was just browsing Best Buy for W7.  So many flavors.  Yikes from $79.-399. Quite a price spread!!

Interesting aside, my favorite distro of Knopix bootable disk didn't on the downstairs Amd based machine. It is an old disk but still. And the new unit is giving me fits booting a 32 bit disk.  At this point I slog on.

I have Windows Home Premium and I'm happy with it. It's much better than Vista.  There is a family pack for Home Premium that allows for upgrading 3 computers from XP or Vista.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+7+Home+Premium+Upgrade+Family+Pack+-+Windows/9493185.p?id=1218113928235&skuId=9493185

Even though it says upgrade, you can do a fresh install with it.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:50 AM »

I have W7 Ultimate, full install. I NEVER do upgrades if I can avoid it.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:13 AM »
I have Windows Home Premium and I'm happy with it. It's much better than Vista.  There is a family pack for Home Premium that allows for upgrading 3 computers from XP or Vista.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+7+Home+Premium+Upgrade+Family+Pack+-+Windows/9493185.p?id=1218113928235&skuId=9493185

Even though it says upgrade, you can do a fresh install with it.

I looked at that version, then noticed this way down in the description:

Designed as an upgrade for Windows Vista; if you are upgrading from Windows XP, you will need to back up your files and settings, perform a clean install and then re-install your existing files, settings and programs

That didn't give me a warm fuzzy because all my machines are running either Home or Professional (32bit) XP.  Not 64 bit.  Which means I have all sorts of stuff to back up.  Oh joy.

mutter mutter mutter, got to go back upstairs to check the disk.  1Tb takes a long time to format.   mutter mutter mutter, stomp stomp stomp. :whistling:

Thanks for sharing your info thund, I may yet end up with that package, it looked like the best deal price-wise for my situation.  One more to upgrade and I could use a six pack.  :yahoo:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »

There is a lot of wisdom in that philosophy, not to mention a few extra bucks.   :argh:

Now, up I go.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:28 AM »
I really like the Enterprise edition.  I haven't tried any others, though.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »

A full install is always the best way to go, but the upgrade disks do let you do a full install if you currently have a valid Windows Key for your present OS.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
A full install is always the best way to go, but the upgrade disks do let you do a full install if you currently have a valid Windows Key for your present OS.

My computer room usually looks like a scene from Hoarders.  Why just today I used a Windows 95 disk, I kid you not. And I think I can find a good copy of DOS 3.1 should it come to that. :lmao:

My upstairs computer is currently communicating with the mother-ship downloading updates.  The disk I was using when the MOBO crashed would only boot into safe mode.  Once I get the new disk up to speed (1TB that came with the barebone system) I will transfer the stuff from the old disk.  Then it is back to the living room system to see what went on there.

Thor, you may be right about doing a total wipe.  Darn thing showed an 8 meg partition which could be bad sectors or something else.  I did get a warning of trojan activity just before it bit the dust.  Hum...........

Seems like I been on a roll lately (all down hill), Sisyphus and that rock got nothin on me.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
Dang.  I have now done a total wipe and reload on the downstairs computer and still no joy.

It was going along fine as I was reloading drivers and such but now it has started to hang up after booting into windows (xp home edition ) ( I know, I know, but it is what I have at the moment).

I took the hard disk out and did complete format while slaved in another machine.  Then reinstalled it and did a complete reload.  It still showed two partitions but I finally managed to get it so that there was only one which it completely formated this last reload.  I have done recent scans for disk errors and found none.

This is the one that went down with a trojan, it had been fine up until that happened.   I am starting to get a bit curious as to what the heck is going on although I strongly doubt a virus could still be resident. 

Any suggestions?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »
Dang.  I have now done a total wipe and reload on the downstairs computer and still no joy.

It was going along fine as I was reloading drivers and such but now it has started to hang up after booting into windows (xp home edition ) ( I know, I know, but it is what I have at the moment).

I took the hard disk out and did complete format while slaved in another machine.  Then reinstalled it and did a complete reload.  It still showed two partitions but I finally managed to get it so that there was only one which it completely formated this last reload.  I have done recent scans for disk errors and found none.

This is the one that went down with a trojan, it had been fine up until that happened.   I am starting to get a bit curious as to what the heck is going on although I strongly doubt a virus could still be resident. 

Any suggestions?

A format won't always get rid of a virus or trojan. Some of them attach themselves in the master boot record (that 8 meg partition) If you didn't use DBAN, like I suggested, you wasted your time. Albeit rare, I've seen some even get into the bios.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
A format won't always get rid of a virus or trojan. Some of them attach themselves in the master boot record (that 8 meg partition) If you didn't use DBAN, like I suggested, you wasted your time. Albeit rare, I've seen some even get into the bios.

I had some real problems getting dban on a bootable cd, at one point it finally did boot then just hung.  I just booted back into safe mode and pulled an extra network driver.  Still not a happy camper.

Since it is a crappy day I may take another try at making a new dban disk.  I was using the lap top burner which took a couple shots to get a good disk out of. I still have a few blanks. Will have to see what is on the wifes computer for a burner and software.   

Did you ever use a boot flash drive?  I am pretty sure I can set bios for removables on that rig.