Author Topic: "Unthinkable"  (Read 1117 times)

Offline debk

"Unthinkable"
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
This is a movie that is currently on Starz and is on OnDemand on Comcast.

It stars Samuel L Jackson in a "direct to DVD/tv" movie. It's starts out with a guy(an American) making a video that states he has hidden 3 nuclear bombs around the United States that are set to explode in 5 days, unless his demands are met.

Basically, it's a movie about whether or not the "end justifies the means" in getting information from a terrorist.

M and I watched it the other night. I had to remember to breathe. I don't know if it's rated or not, but it is definitely tense, and could be considered to be very violent. I would not recommend watching it with kids, until you have seen it yourself to make an informed parental decision.

I think if enough people could watch it...we could have an interesting discussion.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
Re: "Unthinkable"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »
Sounds interesting! I just added it to my Netflix queue.  I hadn't heard of this film.  Thanks for the mention.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:45:55 AM »
I watched it a few months ago. Fascinating stuff. I saw another one in a similar vein a while before that one ... I'm trying to remember the name ...

Ahh yes, it was Five Fingers (2006) with Laurence Fishburne.

Some films are hard to put into words.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline debk

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
I watched it a few months ago. Fascinating stuff. I saw another one in a similar vein a while before that one ... I'm trying to remember the name ...

Ahh yes, it was Five Fingers (2006) with Laurence Fishburne.

Some films are hard to put into words.

Exactly!!!

We looked at each other at the end, just kind of stunned...and both of us said Shit! how can it end that way?!?!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
I don't know if it's rated or not, but it is definitely tense, and could be considered to be very violent. I would not recommend watching it with kids, until you have seen it yourself to make an informed parental decision.

I think if enough people could watch it...we could have an interesting discussion.

Indeed, on all counts.  :o

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:56:48 AM »
I saw it the other night as well.  I'm kind of bewildered at the ending too--but everyone has a line they won't cross...or will.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:11:06 AM »
I saw the movie earlier this evening.  It was riveting.  I thought it was quite suspenseful with some very good performances.  The ending also left me a bit bewildered, but it was definitely thought-provoking.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"