Author Topic: Boeing Says Pentagon Found Its Tanker Superior (airbus vs. boeing saga)  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Boeing Says Pentagon Found Its Tanker Superior

Boeing could have enough fuel to have that disputed tanker deal overturned. Boeing says the Pentagon found that the KC-767 was superior to the Airbus model in at least two key areas.

Boeing says the Air Force found that the tanker had more mission capabilities and a better chance of surviving combat.

710 KIRO Aviation Analyst Richard Aboulafia says, "It's pretty clear that there is this disconnect between what the Air Force was saying when it awarded the contract and the kind of information that's been uncovered now."

All signs are pointing to trouble within the Air Force bureaucracy. Aboulafia says, "I think it's safe to say there are a lot of questions yet again about the Air Force's procurement process."

The Government Accountability Office is investigating the complaints, but even if they rule in favor of Boeing, there is no guarantee that they'll get the contract.

Aboulafia says, "Technically the G.A.O. upholds complaints, that is to say, rather than undoing deals, they give the competition new life."

Aboulafia sees two possible outcomes, "One, of course, is that the protest is upheld and there really is a re-compete. Another possibility is that, because of political action, somehow the KC-767 gets added to the Air Force's procurement decision."

Link

the air force's new tanker deal has been a debacle for years, but the airbus vs. boeing competition in general always gets my attention. 

Offline djones520

Anything that can shake up the beuaracracy upstairs is good in my book.  If there is one thing I can't stand about the AF, it's how stagnant things are because of it.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Wretched Excess

Anything that can shake up the beuaracracy upstairs is good in my book.  If there is one thing I can't stand about the AF, it's how stagnant things are because of it.

meanwhile, the KC-135's are getting almost impossible to keep flying.

edited to change link to a better story
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:17:42 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline djones520

*shrugs*  P-3's are much worse in my opinion.  I supported a squadron of 135's while deployed to Manas, and did just fine.

IMO, the AF should just replace the 135's with some more KC-10's.  Their much more versatile, have a larger fuel capacity, and we won't have to spend millions of dollars building a training program, and training all the maintainers how to handle them.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
*shrugs*  P-3's are much worse in my opinion.  I supported a squadron of 135's while deployed to Manas, and did just fine.

IMO, the AF should just replace the 135's with some more KC-10's.  Their much more versatile, have a larger fuel capacity, and we won't have to spend millions of dollars building a training program, and training all the maintainers how to handle them.

Because a DC-10 hasn't been made in 20 years.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Wretched Excess

This whole thing has been an absolute debacle.  From Boeing's blatant illegal activity, to ambiguous design specifications of the Air Force, to American favoritism rants.

I think at this point, I would have just have gone with the outrageous and illegal lease deal.  at least the AF would
have it's much needed tanker by now.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
This whole thing has been an absolute debacle.  From Boeing's blatant illegal activity, to ambiguous design specifications of the Air Force, to American favoritism rants.

I think at this point, I would have just have gone with the outrageous and illegal lease deal.  at least the AF would
have it's much needed tanker by now.

They are going to get their new tanker..............and it will be an Airbus A300, which the majority of will be made in the USA

Offline djones520

So everyones forgotten how to make them?

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator

Why would you want to? It's old technology.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

Most of the "technology" in our aircraft is new.  It's the airframes that are falling apart.  So build new and PROVEN airframes.  Don't waste millions of my tax dollars dicking around trying to find the company that gives the best blow job.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
Re: Boeing Says Pentagon Found Its Tanker Superior (airbus vs. boeing saga)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 06:39:22 AM »

Usually the destroy the tooling and all when they close the lines. So while they may not have forgotten how to make em...........they lack the means to make em.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 03:05:09 PM »

Either way, they are 707s -- a fabulous technology in the 60's. How it has come to this, I don't completely understand.  But my BIL was a Navy Firing Technician (or a title similar) and he told me many of the missiles are using 80/80 chips even now.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »

Well, we could upgrade them with those new-fangled 5" diskettes instead of the 8-1/4" ones...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
The 8080-series chips are much more heat resistant than newer chips.  My guess is that companies have decided that re-tooling for 8080 production would be too expensive.  Even NASA has taken to scrounging for old computer parts for the space suttle (I hear it uses 5 1/4" floppy drives).

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »

Either way, they are 707s -- a fabulous technology in the 60's. How it has come to this, I don't completely understand.  But my BIL was a Navy Firing Technician (or a title similar) and he told me many of the missiles are using 80/80 chips even now.

even if you could strap a cray supercomputer to a missile, what would you do with it?  you only need so much computing power to hit a target;  anything else is overkill.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »

if they keep it up, they are going to have f-22s landing in the interstate and refueling at the
texaco station on the corner.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
Government is slow to adapt anything.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline megimoo

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »

why did Boeing cut up the tooling to the KC-10 Tanker after they bought Douglas?
 it may have been a "far better bird" but it wasn't unavailable because it wasn't commercially viable any longer and had been taken out of production. Even if the tooling had been stored, and production restarted (at tremendous expense) a tanker based on the 767 or 777 would be better. Of course the KC-10 is better than the KC-135, but none of your friends have ever compared a KC-10 with a KC-767. Only two exist and the second one just delivered to Japan.