Author Topic: Prep for Church  (Read 9538 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Prep for Church
« on: November 13, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
I am the chairman of the Fellowship Committee, which is a euphemism for "he who gets to cook for us at church a lot and work his ass off in the process".

My tenure in this position is rapidly coming to a close, as I have been serving on Session (the church council) for almost 3 years - an entire term.

At any rate, I am tired and want to move on, but the last great major hurdle to leap over is the church Thanksgiving meal, which we're having tomorrow.

Mrs E and I ordered up a whole hog about a month ago or so, so I'm taking one of the hams (a big bastard at 17 lbs, btw) and have done a few things to it - brined it overnight (the brine is a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, and a cinnamon stick) and then started roasting it late this morning.

But not before preparing a rub, which is essentially a paste of EVOO, an entire bulb of garlic cloves, whole grain mustard (okay, I cheated and used Dijon), a large handful of Italian parsley, sage, salt and pepper; pulsing that in a food processor, then smearing that all over the ham.

In the bottom of the roaster went two large Spanish onions, cut in wedges, along with about 2 cups of apple cider.

The ham goes on the top of the onion/cider mixture and gets blasted in a 425 deg. oven for 30 minutes, before cranking down to 325 for probably 5 hours or so.

The last two hours of roasting, I take the half gallon of cider that I'd reduced down to about a pint (OMG, the apple flavor is enough to knock your socks off) and brush it on the nicely-developing ham.

The house smells heavenly at the moment.

While all that's going on, I made up two pounds of cranberry compote (the zest of 3 oranges and 3 lemons, along with their juice), a couple cups of sugar, a very nice healthy slug of Grand Marnier, simmered for a few minutes, then thickened with a cornstarch/water whitewash.

Next up is the cornbread stuffing. First a mirepoix of onions and celery, along with some Italian sausage, walnuts, dried cranberries, sage. That gets mixed with the cornbread, then soak it down with some chicken stock (not homemade).

That gets thrown in the oven later tonight.

Fellowship Hall is already set up. We're planning on 100 people. We've got the  ham, and other people are bringing in 3 turkeys, mashers, some regular bread stuffing, and gravy which I'll probably finalize in the church kitchen. Most of the rest of the church is bringing in side dishes and desserts.

It will be good to get all this behind me.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
Re: Prep for Church
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »
 :drool:

What's the address?  :-)  Sounds excellent.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking ham and biscuit sandwiches right now. :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »
:drool:

What's the address?  :-)  Sounds excellent.

601 W. Coates St.
Moberly, MO  65270

Unfortunately, both St. Louis and KC airports are socked in, plus you have to pay $50 per carryon item. I won't even tell you how much it costs to actually check a bag.  :banghead:

Yes, I'm an optimist.  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »
Shoot, I can be there in eight hours.  Let me get my stuff.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »
601 W. Coates St.
Moberly, MO  65270

Unfortunately, both St. Louis and KC airports are socked in, plus you have to pay $50 per carryon item. I won't even tell you how much it costs to actually check a bag.  :banghead:

Yes, I'm an optimist.  :-)

My family's farm is in N.E. Arkansas just outside of Pocahontas. I'll have them drive up there for me.  :-)
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline cavegal

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
I am the chairman of the Fellowship Committee, which is a euphemism for "he who gets to cook for us at church a lot and work his ass off in the process".

My tenure in this position is rapidly coming to a close, as I have been serving on Session (the church council) for almost 3 years - an entire term.

At any rate, I am tired and want to move on, but the last great major hurdle to leap over is the church Thanksgiving meal, which we're having tomorrow.

Mrs E and I ordered up a whole hog about a month ago or so, so I'm taking one of the hams (a big bastard at 17 lbs, btw) and have done a few things to it - brined it overnight (the brine is a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, and a cinnamon stick) and then started roasting it late this morning.

But not before preparing a rub, which is essentially a paste of EVOO, an entire bulb of garlic cloves, whole grain mustard (okay, I cheated and used Dijon), a large handful of Italian parsley, sage, salt and pepper; pulsing that in a food processor, then smearing that all over the ham.

In the bottom of the roaster went two large Spanish onions, cut in wedges, along with about 2 cups of apple cider.

The ham goes on the top of the onion/cider mixture and gets blasted in a 425 deg. oven for 30 minutes, before cranking down to 325 for probably 5 hours or so.

The last two hours of roasting, I take the half gallon of cider that I'd reduced down to about a pint (OMG, the apple flavor is enough to knock your socks off) and brush it on the nicely-developing ham.

While all that's going on, I made up two pounds of cranberry compote (the zest of 3 oranges and 3 lemons, along with their juice), a couple cups of sugar, a very nice healthy slug of Grand Marnier, simmered for a few minutes, then thickened with a cornstarch/water whitewash.

Next up is the cornbread stuffing. First a mirepoix of onions and celery, along with some Italian sausage, walnuts, dried cranberries, sage. That gets mixed with the cornbread, then soak it down with some chicken stock (not homemade).

That gets thrown in the oven later tonight.

Fellowship Hall is already set up. We're planning on 100 people. We've got the  ham, and other people are bringing in 3 turkeys, mashers, some regular bread stuffing, and gravy which I'll probably finalize in the church kitchen. Most of the rest of the church is bringing in side dishes and desserts.

It will be good to get all this behind me.
Wow that sounds just dandy!  Hope everything turns out the way you planned it!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »
8 hours is about right.  See ya tomorrow!!

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
8 hours is about right.  See ya tomorrow!!

Meet up in Denison and we can "convoy" up there.......  :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
Isn't it a little early in the month for Thanksgiving dinner??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »
Anybody notice that Eupher didn't say a time??

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
Isn't it a little early in the month for Thanksgiving dinner??

It's traditional for the church - they like to do it before the weekend before T-day weekend rolls around what with all the shopping, etc.

Went to Wally World yesterday and it was already insane.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Anybody notice that Eupher didn't say a time??

Church starts at 10:30 and the meal starts immediately afterward - about 11:45 a.m.

Oh, btw Tots, Thor, and Chris - I'll believe it when I see it.  :popcorn:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
Church starts at 10:30 and the meal starts immediately afterward - about 11:45 a.m.

Oh, btw Tots, Thor, and Chris - I'll believe it when I see it.  :popcorn:

Shoot.  That sounds like a double dog dare!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 08:21:31 PM »
I didn't know he was going to roll the red carpet out for us or I would have left the house by now.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
I didn't know he was going to roll the red carpet out for us or I would have left the house by now.

I think it's green, and it won't reach all the way to the parking lot, but will a throw rug work?   :rotf:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »
Shoot.  That sounds like a double dog dare!

Ain't gonna happen, Tots, and you know it.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
Ain't gonna happen, Tots, and you know it.

Well, if you had given a little more notice, ya never know bub.   :-)

Offline JLO

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »

Sounds great - have a fun event - your cooking method sounds 'heavenly'.

O-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 07:10:13 AM »
Well, if you had given a little more notice, ya never know bub.   :-)

Here's one for ya - Dec. 18, Ft. Leonard Wood, MO; noon; PX parking lot.

The event title is - don't laugh now:

"TubaChristmas"

Yes, it's for real, and yes there are a whole shitload of euphers and tubists out there playing Christmas carols and terrorizing the neighborhood. Dogs love us because the pitches don't get all that high.

Check your local listings! There'll be one in your area! In the meantime, here's your notice, sweetums.

Facebook Entry

TubaChristmas web site - locations

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »

Mrs E and I ordered up a whole hog about a month ago...

Oy!  Trayf!

...a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, and a cinnamon stick...

Dat von't help.

(Seriously...yum!  :drool:)
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
My family's farm is in N.E. Arkansas just outside of Pocahontas. I'll have them drive up there for me.  :-)

My dad graduated HS from Pocahontas.  Small world  :-)

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
In my haste to post, I forgot to say the meal sounds excellent! I hope you had a great dinner.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
In my haste to post, I forgot to say the meal sounds excellent! I hope you had a great dinner.

Yeah, it actually did turn out very well. We had about 80 people. I got a standing ovation, which was rather humbling since there were several people who prepared food and worked.

But there's a little vinegar with the sweetness. I managed to lose my keys somewhere in the church and the dishwasher broke down.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:51 AM »
Yeah, it actually did turn out very well. We had about 80 people. I got a standing ovation, which was rather humbling since there were several people who prepared food and worked.

But there's a little vinegar with the sweetness. I managed to lose my keys somewhere in the church and the dishwasher broke down.

Both of those things are much easier to recover from, than having people not like all of your food!