Author Topic: Spaghetti and meatballs or spaghetti and meat sauce?  (Read 5436 times)

Offline debk

Re: Spaghetti and meatballs or spaghetti and meat sauce?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
My aunt went to a cooking school in Italy a couple of summers ago. She said the same thing. She also said they eat a lot, but they are all fairly small people. I guess it is what they eat. She said the food was PHENOMENAL. I bet it was.

The food is phenomenal....and the desserts are so incredible!!!

The difference is, in Italy, they walk all over the place!!! It is the most amazing thing to watch Italian women, in spike heels, blithely walk along on cobblestones. I'm such a klutz, I had trouble in flat leather walking shoes or a pair of sneakers!!

I would love to go to a cooking school in the Tuscany area. 
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline soleil

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »
The food is phenomenal....and the desserts are so incredible!!!

The difference is, in Italy, they walk all over the place!!! It is the most amazing thing to watch Italian women, in spike heels, blithely walk along on cobblestones. I'm such a klutz, I had trouble in flat leather walking shoes or a pair of sneakers!!

I would love to go to a cooking school in the Tuscany area.  

She was in Sorento. They cooked brick oven pizza in this ancient brick oven. She said is was unbelievable. The pics were amazing. Italy is my choice of places to go if I ever get to pick. She did visit several Italian cities, and my baby got some awesome clothes from Italy because of it.  :-) Oh, and I did to (my lovely Prada purse thanks to Florence)!

Offline debk

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »
She was in Sorento. They cooked brick oven pizza in this ancient brick oven. She said is was unbelievable. The pics were amazing. Italy is my choice of places to go if I ever get to pick. She did visit several Italian cities, and my baby got some awesome clothes from Italy because of it.  :-) Oh, and I did to (my lovely Prada purse thanks to Florence)!

I went to Sorrento my first trip. It is sooooo beautiful there!! Bought some gorgeous pottery too.  :-) We went to Isle of Capri while there and to the Blue Grotto. Good thing no one told me before going what I would have to do to get into the Grotto, or I would never have done it! I was the littlest one of the 3 of us in this very dinky little rowboat - besides the boatman - and I had to lay down in the bow of the boat until we got through the tunnel opening to the Grotto. The boatman had to stand - but bend over almost at a right angle - to grab a cable to pull the boat through the short tunnel. It was not only dark, but very closed in....all the while these waves are crashing through. Scared the hell out of me!!! It was worth it though....until we had to get back out! Once we got back to Capri....I was sampling the Limoncello quite a bit... :-)

A friend is a travel agent for AAA here, and she used to do a trip every spring for women only to Europe. It was extremely reasonable for 12 days ($2000) and included airfare, hotel, bus travel, tour guides, and half of the meals. I went 3 different years, and that was how I got to see so many places over there.

Then twice, she and I and 2 other women, went to Greece on one trip and back to Italy on another for 12 days. We went on our frequent flyer points and stayed in quite nice but super cheap places. We spent the night in Athens in a room with a bath, and a small connecting room with 2 beds and a sink - for $25 each, and that included breakfast buffet. It was quite clean, and had a rooftop bar with a view of the Acropolis!! We stayed 4 nights in Italy, a small village - Manarola - in the Cinque Terre - all in the same room - one bath - breakfast included....for $25 a night. All we had to do was walk down the hill and we were in the village....right on the Mediterranean.

There are ways to get cheaply around Europe if you have someone that knows what they are doing and knows what to look for in finding a place to stay. After going on these trips, I would rather stay in small, clean places that are very economical and a more European atmosphere....rather than a big hotel, especially one that has been "Americanized".
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.