Author Topic: Spaghetti and meatballs or spaghetti and meat sauce?  (Read 5435 times)

Offline soleil

Spaghetti and meatballs or spaghetti and meat sauce?
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
Love both soooooo much, but I love meatballs.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Spaghetti and meatballs or spaghetti and meat sauce?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I prefer meat sauce.  Meatballs are OK once in a while.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
I prefer meat sauce.  Meatballs are OK once in a while.

I am picky about my meatballs, but I prefer a really good meatball to meat sauce. I always do meat sauce when I cook sketti because my meatballs ain't all that.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
Eh.  I prefer meatballs most of the time but a good meat sauce with lots of interesting cheeses is good, too.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
Meatballs.  MY meatballs.  Or Italian Sausage, sliced.  I don't like plain ole ground meat in my sauce. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
I mentioned this before, but my friend's wife made me dinner one night and she puts a couple jalapenos in her meat sauce.  It was really good.  They were cut very fine... you could taste them but it was all flavor and no heat.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline soleil

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
Meatballs.  MY meatballs.  Or Italian Sausage, sliced.  I don't like plain ole ground meat in my sauce. 

I am not a big sausage fan, and I can't stand hunks of any kind of sausage in my food. Poor hubby. He could live off of sausage alone.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
Meat sauce,preferably with ground venison sausage.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
I tried mixing chorizo in my meatloaf one day... it didn't turn out that great.  Maybe I didn't mix it well enough.

Offline soleil

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
I tried mixing chorizo in my meatloaf one day... it didn't turn out that great.  Maybe I didn't mix it well enough.

Was it too salty?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
No, it wasn't salty, but I had dense chunks of chorizo in my beef.  I think it was more of a texture thing since the beef overpowered any flavor the chorizo has.  I think chorizo is better in lighter dishes with rice like jambalaya or paella or maybe cous cous.  At least that's what I normally use it for. 

I'm tempted to try it on pizza at some point.  I may pick up a couple of plain cheese pizzas this weekend and try it along with a barbeque chicken pizza.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
Was it too salty?

Prolly too greasy.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
Prolly too greasy.

I use ground sausage, not the solid/whole stuff.  I think it tastes better.

My mom put some in her "chili" once... it was too hot to eat.  Ouch.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »
I use ground sausage, not the solid/whole stuff.  I think it tastes better.

My mom put some in her "chili" once... it was too hot to eat.  Ouch.

Chili is supposed to be hot.   :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
Chili is supposed to be hot.   :-)

You don't use boiling water to take a shower, do you?  Same thing.  It was unreal.  No subtlety, no nuance, no flavor.  Just burn.  Maybe she was getting even with me for the jerk chicken I made once.  I admit I messed up.  You don't need to try to kill me over it.

Besides, she only cooked it for like half an hour.  That's got to be against the rules.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:20:34 PM by chris_ »

Offline true_blood

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
Spaghetti and meat sauce for me please! :-)
I could substitute the meat sauce for Italian sausages any day though.  :drool:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 07:29:56 AM »
You don't use boiling water to take a shower, do you?  Same thing.  It was unreal.  No subtlety, no nuance, no flavor.  Just burn.  Maybe she was getting even with me for the jerk chicken I made once.  I admit I messed up.  You don't need to try to kill me over it.

Besides, she only cooked it for like half an hour.  That's got to be against the rules.

Sounds like a payback to me!

Offline debk

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
Meat sauce... but rarely make or eat it anymore. Prefer more of a pomodoro.

I buy those frozen Italian meatballs that are about an inch or so in diameter. Found some really good ones at Walmart last winter, they probably don't even still carry them. ::) I add seasoning to them, bake them, then add them to sauce and cook in the crockpot for several hours. I either serve them on rolls or in bowls with shredded parmasean and garlic Texas toast.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »

Same here.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »
It depends on my mood and ambition. Sometimes, I just use plain ground meat  with an onion and garlic base. Sometimes I'll use ground meat AND Italian sausage.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
In Italy pasta is served as a "side dish", much like potatoes or rice is here.  We got our meatball recipe from a chef in Florence, and they are served as the main dish, with the pasta on the side.

These meatballs are made with a mixture (equal portions) of ground beef, ground Italian sausage, and lamb or veal, mixed with Italian spices, crushed roasted garlic, finely chopped onion, and tiny cubes (or shredded) of mozzarella. After making the meatballs, they are dumped (raw) into the marinara, which is "simmered" for a minimum of four hours.  I know many will differ, but we never fry or bake them, they are far better if cooked in the sauce.

They are kind of a pain in the ass to make, but we use them primarily around the holidays, and generally make up several pounds of them at a time, and freeze them for later use.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
The best store bought meatball are made by Simek's. They're a processor up Nort in Minnsota. Yah, you betcha !! :yum: I don't like the ones at Sams or Walmart because they're "Italian" spiced  meatballs.  They're OK with spaghetti, but no other decent use.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
I don't normally make spaghetti and meatballs, but I saw a neat trick on some cooking show today.  It's similar to the Juicy Lucy burger -- it's just a cube of cheese wrapped in ground beef and cooked.  Might be worth trying.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »
The best store bought meatball are made by Simek's. They're a processor up Nort in Minnsota. Yah, you betcha !! :yum: I don't like the ones at Sams or Walmart because they're "Italian" spiced  meatballs.  They're OK with spaghetti, but no other decent use.

Speaking of meatballs and Minnestoa.....when I lived up there, Swedish meatballs were the rage back then......I have no clue how to make them, especially the sauce, but they were good.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline soleil

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
In Italy pasta is served as a "side dish", much like potatoes or rice is here.  We got our meatball recipe from a chef in Florence, and they are served as the main dish, with the pasta on the side.

These meatballs are made with a mixture (equal portions) of ground beef, ground Italian sausage, and lamb or veal, mixed with Italian spices, crushed roasted garlic, finely chopped onion, and tiny cubes (or shredded) of mozzarella. After making the meatballs, they are dumped (raw) into the marinara, which is "simmered" for a minimum of four hours.  I know many will differ, but we never fry or bake them, they are far better if cooked in the sauce.

They are kind of a pain in the ass to make, but we use them primarily around the holidays, and generally make up several pounds of them at a time, and freeze them for later use.

doc

My aunt went to a cooking school in Italy a couple of summers ago. She said the same thing. She also said they eat a lot, but they are all fairly small people. I guess it is what they eat. She said the food was PHENOMENAL. I bet it was.