Author Topic: What are your Pet Peeves?  (Read 48413 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: What are your Pet Peeves?
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »
Yes they do.  And they are noisy. 
The keyboards aren't noisy, the typist swearing at them is noisy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #251 on: November 09, 2010, 08:08:56 AM »
ahem.  did you ever get the brakes on your truck fixed?  

(Don't be talking smack about my cars.)

I used to own a Datsun........ I'll talk smack about them if'n I wanna !!  :tongue:  Did you ever get that 2nd car running....   :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #252 on: November 09, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »
I used to own a Datsun........ I'll talk smack about them if'n I wanna !!  :tongue:  Did you ever get that 2nd car running....   :fuelfire:
It's currently holding down the pavement in my driveway. :whistling:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline new england yankee

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #253 on: November 09, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »
YEAH! :mad:

(thanks for reminding me, jerk.)

So nasty already?  Damn.  All I did was comment on one of my pet peeves.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:54:15 AM by new england yankee »
:usflag:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #254 on: November 09, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »

Don't take things said on the forum at face value.....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2010, 10:09:30 AM »
So nasty already?  Damn.  All I did was comment on one of my pet peeves.

Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke. :p

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »

Yes.  Little baby words in parenthesis, or in the same color as a backround = joke.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »

It's perfectly okay to be pissed off when addressing somebody else's pet peeve. After all, this is a thread on pet peeves.

But chris is the kinda guy who means it in fun. Most of the time, that is!  :-)

This one may already have been said, but it bears repeating:

One of my many pet peeves is the dolt, usually a woman, who waits unti every ******* item in her three overflowing shopping carts is scanned, bagged, and in her freaking carts before lifting her 30 lb. purse up to the conveyor, digging through the 375 items that are scattered throughout said purse, finding her wallet, opening her wallet and sorting through 47 credit and debit cards to find the one that she simply HAS to use, then running the card through the scanner and punching all of the requisite buttons - one at a time, very slowly and very carefully because she reads at a 3rd grade level, only to **** the whole thing up and have to start all over again.

This is the kind of person one finds at Wal-Mart. She weighs 342 lbs., wears spandex, has tats of flowers on her ankle (which resembles a tree trunk), and whose hair needs an oil change, not a shampoo. Every tooth in her head is rotten and she smells bad.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline new england yankee

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »

No worries Chris.  I'll come back at'cha when you least expect it!
:usflag:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2010, 10:35:30 AM »
THOR, yup our own THOR that hates me.

He chases me about  the web land with the old Hickory Stick trying to teach me to think like a man.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2010, 10:40:50 AM »
THOR, yup our own THOR that hates me.

He chases me about  the web land with the old Hickory Stick trying to teach me to think like a man.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
It's perfectly okay to be pissed off when addressing somebody else's pet peeve. After all, this is a thread on pet peeves.

One of my many pet peeves is the dolt, usually a woman, who waits unti every ******* item in her three overflowing shopping carts is scanned, bagged, and in her freaking carts before lifting her 30 lb. purse up to the conveyor, digging through the 375 items that are scattered throughout said purse, finding her wallet, opening her wallet and sorting through 47 credit and debit cards to find the one that she simply HAS to use, then running the card through the scanner and punching all of the requisite buttons - one at a time, very slowly and very carefully because she reads at a 3rd grade level, only to **** the whole thing up and have to start all over again.

This is the kind of person one finds at Wal-Mart. She weighs 342 lbs., wears spandex, has tats of flowers on her ankle (which resembles a tree trunk), and whose hair needs an oil change, not a shampoo. Every tooth in her head is rotten and she smells bad.

What's worse than that is the person that stupidly stands there waiting to pay their bill when the groceries are sitting there waiting for them to bag them.  The grocery stores are the bag your own type that we go to.  Then there are those using the their state issued debit card for some things and then have a second load that they pay with cash for.

Offline ToddWB

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »

Oh yeah...a version of this...what I'd put in the general category of"not being ready to transact business while others are waiting in line behind you"...just got a dose of that at the drive thru at the bank....some dingbat making her deposit slips after she  gets her turn at the window.
At my desk, listening to talk radio

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #263 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
I dislike it when people mispronounce Nevada.  It's like pronouncing the 's' on Illinois.

Nevada Kedavra!  (zzzzap)

(the one that makes the victim play nickel slots for 79 hours straight)
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »
What's worse than that is the person that stupidly stands there waiting to pay their bill when the groceries are sitting there waiting for them to bag them.  The grocery stores are the bag your own type that we go to.  Then there are those using the their state issued debit card for some things and then have a second load that they pay with cash for.

I would be remiss, along these same lines not to mention the asshole that checks out in the "express lane", over which is a large sign stating "10 items or less, cash, credit, or debit cards only"...........and proceeds to purchase nineteen items, and write a check for them.........

:banghead:

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2010, 11:25:01 AM »
People who fly foreign flags--from their cars or home, it doesn't matter. My neighbor flies an Italian flag and that's wrong and pisses me off; ditto all the Mexican and Puerto Rican flags I see. Go frackin' home if you don't want to fly the American flag!

I regret to have to point out that the flag of the US Territory of Puerto Rico is as Ameican as that of the State of Tennessee. 

I'm with you on actual foreign flags, though.

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
People who stop inches behind me on an incline.  I drive stick, there is a decent chance that I will roll back a bit before I move forward, so how about you back off a bit. 

I had that problem, until I learned to drive

ummm embarassing to say,  :whistling: ...  but that's why I drive an automatic
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »

Damn Euph ... if I'da known that was you behind me ......   :tongue:
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »
I regret to have to point out that the flag of the US Territory of Puerto Rico is as Ameican as that of the State of Tennessee. 

I'm with you on actual foreign flags, though.

I would have to disagree with you on that. Puerto Rico is not a state and doesn't send congressmembers and senators. More importantly, the people who fly it fly it with the specific purpose of accentuating their Hispanic heritage--not state/commonwealth pride and loyalty--over their loyalty to the Stars and Stripes. That makes it equivalent to a foreign flag in my land of peeves.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »
Damn Euph ... if I'da known that was you behind me ......   :tongue:

Shit. Am I busted????  :lmao:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
« Reply #270 on: November 11, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
I would have to disagree with you on that. Puerto Rico is not a state and doesn't send congressmembers and senators. More importantly, the people who fly it fly it with the specific purpose of accentuating their Hispanic heritage--not state/commonwealth pride and loyalty--over their loyalty to the Stars and Stripes. That makes it equivalent to a foreign flag in my land of peeves.

Okay, fine (on statehood).  But the people who are born there-- and live there and die there without ever having left-- are as much US citizens as the people of North Dakota.  Someone who shows you a long form birth certificate registered in Vieques has shown you better proof of Presidential eligibility than has the 44th POTUS.

Puerto Ricans today = Alaskans in 1958.  And COTUS 1A says they can be as vocally and symbolically proud of being Hispanic as GWB can of being Texan, and with more cause.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:06:44 PM by ExGeeEye »

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #271 on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
Okay, fine (on statehood).  But the people who are born there-- and live there and die there without ever having left-- are as much US citizens as the people of North Dakota.  Someone who shows you a long form birth certificate registered in Vieques has shown you better proof of Presidential eligibility than has the 44th POTUS.

Puerto Ricans today = Alaskans in 1958.  And COTUS 1A says they can be as vocally and symbolically proud of being Hispanic as GWB can of being Texan, and with more cause.

I can't say I agree with that. You don't see that people who fly the Puerto Rican flag are calling to attention, not their regional pride (as would have been true of Alaskans in your example), but their trans-Hispanic pride?

In fact it looks to me as if you're conceding that--you write "proud of being Hispanic as GWB can of being Texan." But people who took and take pride in Texas, or the Alaskans in your example, were and are not asserting a foreign identity or heritage, but a purely regional one. That's a big difference, to me.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
« Reply #272 on: November 11, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
I can't say I agree with that. You don't see that people who fly the Puerto Rican flag are calling to attention, not their regional pride (as would have been true of Alaskans in your example), but their trans-Hispanic pride?

In fact it looks to me as if you're conceding that--you write "proud of being Hispanic as GWB can of being Texan." But people who took and take pride in Texas, or the Alaskans in your example, were and are not asserting a foreign identity or heritage, but a purely regional one. That's a big difference, to me.

I can only reiterate that the flag is that of a US Territory, a copy of which stands in the US Capitol along with those of the 50 states, Guam, the US Virgin Islands etc.; that the people are US Citizens by birthright, with several of whom I have served in the US Army in peace and war; that whatever ethnic pride they feel is no more foreign than that of the Irish, Dutch, Scots (I are one), Italians, Tligit, Yupik, and Navajo-descended Americans; and that they cannot (even if they wish) assert a foreign identity or heriage, becaue both are American.  They are as American as fourth-generation Tejanos, who look and sound Mexican to the culturally biased.

Yes, there are those who wish PR no longer to be part of the US.  That too, is their right; the issue comes up for a vote from time to time, and should the vote ever be sufficient, the US is obligated to grant independence.  Likewise, the vote being sufficient, the US may grant statehood.  For decades, however, the vote has been to maintain the status of a territory.  Those who protest that condition in lawful ways can at worst be thought of as campaigning until the next vote.

If you wish to assert that they pledge allegiance to an actual foreign power (i.e. Mexico or Guatemala), please provide evidence thereof.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:45:44 PM by ExGeeEye »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #273 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
I can only reiterate that the flag is that of a US Territory, a copy of which stands in the US Capitol along with those of the 50 states, Guam, the US Virgin Islands etc.; that the people are US Citizens by birthright, with several of whom I have served in the US Army in peace and war; that whatever ethnic pride they feel is no more foreign than that of the Irish, Dutch, Scots (I are one), Italians, Tligit, Yupik, and Navajo-descended Americans; and that they cannot (even if they wish) assert a foreign identity or heriage, becaue both are American.  They are as American as fourth-generation Tejanos, who look and sound Mexican to the culturally biased.

Yes, there are those who wish PR no longer to be part of the US.  That too, is their right; the issue comes up for a vote from time to time, and should the vote ever be sufficient, the US is obligated to grant independence.  Likewise, the vote being sufficient, the US may grant statehood.  For decades, however, the vote has been to maintain the status of a territory.  Those who protest that condition in lawful ways can at worst be thought of as campaigning until the next vote.

If you wish to assert that they pledge allegiance to an actual foreign power (i.e. Mexico or Guatemala), please provide evidence thereof.

If you wish to assert that they pledge allegiance to the US, let us know, too.....  They USE the US for all they can get out her. Puerto Ricans STILL maintain that PR is their own little Island Nation....

Offline thundley4

« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
If you wish to assert that they pledge allegiance to the US, let us know, too.....  They USE the US for all they can get out her. Puerto Ricans STILL maintain that PR is their own little Island Nation....

Yet they always vote against independence.