Author Topic: $27 million to change NYC signs from all-caps  (Read 2137 times)

Offline thundley4

$27 million to change NYC signs from all-caps
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
The Capital of the World is going lower-case.
Federal copy editors are demanding the city change its 250,900 street signs -- such as these for Perry Avenue in The Bronx -- from the all-caps style used for more than a century to ones that capitalize only the first letters.

Changing BROADWAY to Broadway will save lives, the Federal Highway Administration contends in its updated Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, citing improved readability.
At $110 per sign, it will also cost the state $27.6 million, city officials said.

"We have already started replacing the signs in The Bronx," city Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan told The Post. 'We will have 11,000 done by the end of this fiscal year, and the rest finished by 2018."

It appears e.e. cummings was right to eschew capital letters, federal officials explain.
Studies have shown that it is harder to read all-caps signs, and those extra milliseconds spent staring away from the road have been shown to increase the likelihood of accidents, particularly among older drivers, federal documents say.

The new regulations also require a change in font from the standard highway typeface to Clearview, which was specially developed for this purpose.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/million_kuj8X4Z2VolVhXnCymfkvM#ixzz112Egbako

Offline true_blood

Re: $27 million to change NYC signs from all-caps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »
It appears e.e. cummings was right to eschew capital letters, federal officials explain.
Studies have shown that it is harder to read all-caps signs, and those extra milliseconds spent staring away from the road have been shown to increase the likelihood of accidents, particularly among older drivers, federal documents say.
WOW!!! These clowns sound like the asshats we have occupying the White House just looking for an excuse to spend money and flush it down the toilet.

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
GROAN.  More stupid wasteful spending to satisfy bureaucrats.  Thanks a million for posting, Thundley.  I felt like bitch-slapping you, but didn't.  It's not your fault.  But, like someone around here says:

I Am So Sick And ****ing Tired Of This Shit.   :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
GROAN.  More stupid wasteful spending to satisfy bureaucrats.  Thanks a million for posting, Thundley.  I felt like bitch-slapping you, but didn't.  It's not your fault.  But, like someone around here says:

I'm wondering if they will put up signs by each of the new signs saying that the change was funded by Lord Zero's Stimulus package.  :-)

Offline true_blood

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
I'm wondering if they will put up signs by each of the new signs saying that the change was funded by Lord Zero's Stimulus package.  :-)
HA HA! :lmao:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:52:17 PM »
What did they do with the old ones?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline longview

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »

That's what I figure.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
These are the shovel ready jobs obozo promised us.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:hi5:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
 :tongue:

There are places all over the country that don't have these capitalized-compliant signage.  Someone pointed out places in Virginia with Ye Olde fonts, and there are places in cutesy-pie upstate NY towns that have quaint signage, including charming fonts.  So, this is whole thing is a bullshit waste of money.  Money that we don't have. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
A few places I've been in Raleigh, Atlanta, and Memphis use the lower case ones.  They are easier to read, but my biggest problem is not being able to see them at night.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.