Author Topic: "Nature" Magazine Claims American Right "Scorns Science"  (Read 808 times)

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
"Nature" Magazine Claims American Right "Scorns Science"
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v467/n7312/full/467133a.html

The anti-science strain pervading the right wing in the United States is the last thing the country needs in a time of economic challenge.

The four corners of deceit: government, academia, science and media. Those institutions are now corrupt and exist by virtue of deceit. That's how they promulgate themselves; it is how they prosper.” It is tempting to laugh off this and other rhetoric broadcast by Rush Limbaugh, a conservative US radio host, but Limbaugh and similar voices are no laughing matter.

There is a growing anti-science streak on the American right that could have tangible societal and political impacts on many fronts — including regulation of environmental and other issues and stem-cell research. Take the surprise ousting last week of Lisa Murkowski, the incumbent Republican senator for Alaska, by political unknown Joe Miller in the Republican primary for the 2 November midterm congressional elections. Miller, who is backed by the conservative 'Tea Party movement', called his opponent's acknowledgement of the reality of global warming “exhibit 'A' for why she needs to go”.

The right-wing populism that is flourishing in the current climate of economic insecurity echoes many traditional conservative themes, such as opposition to taxes, regulation and immigration. But the Tea Party and its cheerleaders, who include Limbaugh, Fox News television host Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin (who famously decried fruitfly research as a waste of public money), are also tapping an age-old US political impulse — a suspicion of elites and expertise.

<exerpted>

Balance at link......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: "Nature" Magazine Claims American Right "Scorns Science"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
So does this mean I shouldn't have changed my major to a science subject?
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
"Science" has done this to themselves. It makes it hard to trust science when one day they claim one thing and the next they claim another. "Science" is theory, some of which turns out to be fact and the other is either opinion or a scam.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
There are certainly some on our side who do, however the same is true for them to at least the same extent.  All the New Age types and other mystics sure as Hell aren't Mr. and Mrs. Analytical, and you can see magical thinking in their speech from the top down (Remember John Edwards speaking about Christopher Reeve being able to walk if he and J-F'in'-Kerry were elected?).  On the other end, though, the guys like Limbaugh are not talking about 'Real' science, they are talking about the politicized, get-us-to-the-outcome-we-want-with-this-grant bullshit that claims to be science these days.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »
If by "science" they mean anything bullshit fad that comes down the pike, then yeah, guilty as charged.

If by "science" they mean proven and verifiable FACTS and application of same towards real-world problems (aka, engineering), well, I wouldn't exactly reject what puts food on my table and a roof over my head, now would I, libtards?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
Their science= SOCIAL JUSTICE.that's what their "science" is!  I do not "scorn" them, I just hate them....  :hammer:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline true_blood

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
From above;
The right-wing populism that is flourishing in the current climate of economic insecurity echoes many traditional conservative themes, such as opposition to taxes, regulation and immigration. But the Tea Party and its cheerleaders, who include Limbaugh, Fox News television host Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin (who famously decried fruitfly research as a waste of public money), are also tapping an age-old US political impulse — a suspicion of elites and expertise.
That's all I needed to read about these left wing dick bags.:censored: