Author Topic: Buy a Mac - A Pictorial Opinion  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
Buy a Mac - A Pictorial Opinion
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »

doc
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:58:23 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Buy a Mac - A Pictorial Opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:00:16 PM »
Trolling: There's an app for that.:stirpot:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »
Hence the reason I REFUSE to buy an apple product. I've recently built a pretty good computer. It cost me less than $700 for the desktop & OS. IF I include the monitor (which I already had), it would be at $850. A similar, but not quite as good mac would cost me $2000.00.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »
FYI....I couldn't figure out how to resize the image with sliders to make it completely readable.........perhaps you geeks could fix it for me???

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
It's easy, buy a better  and bigger monitor. I don't have any sliders..........  :tongue:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
The site is set for a minimum resolution of 1024x768.  Oversized pictures automatically get scaled down to fit.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »
Wow...never seen a more jeslous bunch of computer geeks in my life.

You get what you pay for.  Whether it's the quality of the parts...the operating system or ease of use.

If you guys want to settle for second best.  Be my guest.

:fuelfire:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
Wow...never seen a more jeslous bunch of computer geeks in my life.

You get what you pay for.  Whether it's the quality of the parts...the operating system or ease of use.

If you guys want to settle for second best.  Be my guest.

:fuelfire:

Well.....I guess you could look at it from a pragmatic economic approach, since the technology in hardware and software advances on 18 to 24 month cycles, those of us that chose to opt for "second best" can afford to upgrade to "state of the art" three times for the same cost..........

Bear in mind that this is coming from a guy using a 10 year-old laptop.......perhaps "second best".....but still running....... :-)

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 03:20:50 PM »
Sarge,  :bird:  I built my system for $700. It has a six core processor, 4 GB ram, a 360 GB hard drive, a 22X dvd /rw and a decent motherboard. (Gigabyte) The only things I may even consider upgrading are the video card (currently onboard video, which isn't too shabby in itself), the sound card (that's questionable, but I really DO like Creative products), and add in an SD card reader. With W7(64 bit), I have had ZERO problems other than some program compatibility. The CLOSEST that mac has to mine is with an Intel i5,(quad core) which pales in comparison to my AMD PhenomII X6. And........ if I add in the previously purchased monitor, (20" widescreen), it may add up to $850. That's being generous. The closest I can come in price is double what I paid for my system. ($1700) That doesn't include any tax or shipping from apple. (I was wrong with my earlier estimate, so sue me) Since I run on an UPS, my computers have been quite stable.

That said, like I stated earlier, hardware is hardware. (the hardware specs for my system are the same, if not better than the apple system). My system has much more flexibility, too.  The macs aren't much different, internally, than a PC. So, what one is really paying for is the OS.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
The macs aren't much different, internally, than a PC.

Yeah the RISC processor had kind of reached the end of the road...Apple kinda had no choice but to go with Intel.  And there's good and bad about them having done that.

So, what one is really paying for is the OS

Kinda.  The last version of OS X was a big upgrade yet it cost what?

All I have to see is all of the "Help me" and "Need some help" threads in here about something that Windows has done to a system to know I've made the right choice  :-)

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
I find it oddly amusing and totally unsurprising that yet another Windows fan has taken the time to start an entire thread dedicated to heaping scorn upon Macs.

Funny, but I'm having a hard time finding a single instance of a Mac fan doing the same thing.

Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction?  :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
I find it oddly amusing and totally unsurprising that yet another Windows fan has taken the time to start an entire thread dedicated to heaping scorn upon Macs.

Funny, but I'm having a hard time finding a single instance of a Mac fan doing the same thing.

Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction?  :tongue:

Yeah, just look at the mac vs PC commercials...... :tongue:

All I have to see is all of the "Help me" and "Need some help" threads in here about something that Windows has done to a system to know I've made the right choice  :-)

I can't say about all of the help threads. What I WILL say is that Windows DID have some problems (through Vista). However, if one looks at the amount of PC users out there vs the amount of mac users, perhaps there's the parallel....... ;)

I've used plenty of macs in my life. I don't care for the "layout", how the programs "drive", etc etc etc. All in all, it's YOUR money to piss away as you see fit. If you want to piss it away on a mac, be my guest.   :tongue:

I will also say that a friend of mine bought a "magic jack". It wouldn't work on his mac......  (just like many peripherals used to wouldn't)

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
Yeah, just look at the mac vs PC commercials...... :tongue:

Shit...I kinda forgot about those...  :thatsright:

Offline DUtroll

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
LOL that's clever. I like the iPhone and iPad - but i'd never buy an Apple workstation or laptop .........ripoff.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
LOL that's clever. I like the iPhone and iPad - but i'd never buy an Apple workstation or laptop .........ripoff.

Bitch Slapped for liking trendy electronics from Apple & AT&T....

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »
Bitch Slapped for liking trendy electronics from Apple & AT&T....

Bitchslapped for being a knuckle dragging Windows zombie  :fuelfire:

:tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 05:52:48 AM »
Bitchslapped for being a knuckle dragging Windows zombie  :fuelfire:

:tongue:

At least Windows didn't have to jump through their ass to get programs to be compatible with them........  BSed for being an Apple nerd..... :-)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »
At least Windows didn't have to jump through their ass to get programs to be compatible with them........  BSed for being an Apple nerd..... :-)

No they just had to sue Apple to look at their code so Windows 95 could work right.

Bs'd for liking a copycat sub par OS.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
No they just had to sue Apple to look at their code so Windows 95 could work right.

Bs'd for liking a copycat sub par OS.

Ohhh......... BULLSHIT  :bs:

HOW many YEARS did the MAC OS have limited program applicability whereas Windows had NUMEROUS programs available to Windows users??  Huh??  Come on, gimme the answer...... If I recall, it wasn't until the release of OS8 or 9 until there were a good number of other programs that were compatible with the MAC OS. (It might have been OS7, but I'm not a fan of Apple products) Furthermore, at least Windows programs don't try to hijack damned near everything it touches, unlike Apple. (e.g.: Quicktime, iTunes, etc)