Author Topic: primitives discuss price of ice cream  (Read 1419 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss price of ice cream
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x79341

Oh my.

Phentex  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-26-10 11:04 AM
Original message

Ice cream prices in your area?

There was a "news" story about people eating more ice cream recently and I was thinking about this. First of all, it's hot as hell and it's summer anyway. Wouldn't people eat more ice cream in the summer? And next, the prices have come way down. It seems like not long ago, I was whining about the cost but maybe that's when gas was through the roof?

I'm able to buy half gallons (or the supposed equivalent) for less than two bucks lately.

What's happening where you are?

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-26-10 11:15 AM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #0-9 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Original message

1. I get the sugar free stuff here and only when I'm constipated. 

(hey, it tastes a hell of a lot better than MOM and works just as well)

Those prices have actually kept edging up.

Yogurt prices are going down, though, and I can eat yogurt for fun and to cool off instead of for medicinal reasons.

GoCubsGo  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jul-26-10 07:57 PM

2. Still grossly overpriced here

Most of the quart-and-a-half cartons are going for four bucks and change or more, unless on sale. The premium pints, like Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks run $3-4 when not on sale.

beac  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jul-26-10 08:15 PM

3. Like GoCubsGo above, the regular prices in our area are hight, BUT they do seem to be running almost constant sales on everything from the store brand to Breyer's to Ben & Jerry's. Lucky for me, my local store doesn't stock the only B&J I can't resist... Pistachio.

I dunno.

franksolich just went and dug a cash-register receipt out of the trash.

Earlier today, franksolich paid $3.49 for a five-quart "bucket" of Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream.

franksolich has no idea if that's a "good" price or not. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: primitives discuss price of ice cream
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x79341

Oh my.

I dunno.

franksolich just went and dug a cash-register receipt out of the trash.

Earlier today, franksolich paid $3.49 for a five-quart "bucket" of Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream.

franksolich has no idea if that's a "good" price or not. 

Blue Bunny is the same brand that we get at Walmart, but the last time it was closer to $5 for the 5quart pail.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
Blue Bunny is the same brand that we get at Walmart, but the last time it was closer to $5 for the 5quart pail.

It might've been on sale then, and I wasn't paying attention.

I never pay attention to "sale items" or "specials" in grocery stores; I just make up a shopping list in my head while driving to town, and buy those things regardless of their prices.

Blue Bunny is made in Iowa, somewhere up where Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Nebraska nearly merge.

It beats that Ben & Jerry's crap by a mile.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »
The Supermarkets always have sales on ice cream so the prices fluxuate depending on the brand that's on sale. I personally prefer keeping fudgsicles in the house because it eases the craving and has much less calories.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
The Supermarkets always have sales on ice cream so the prices fluctuate depending on the brand that's on sale. I personally prefer keeping fudgsicles in the house because it eases the craving and has much less calories.

I buy only vanilla ice cream, because other sorts have things in them perilous to cats (chocolate, whatnot).

It's okay, because vanilla's always been my favorite anyway.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
I buy only vanilla ice cream, because other sorts have things in them perilous to cats (chocolate, whatnot).

We buy vanilla for a similar reason, our dog has to have her share of ice cream .

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »

I love French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »
Vanilla bean is my favorite.  I remember my dad used to buy chocolate, because he knew us kids wouldn't get into it and eat it all.  Smart man, it worked.     

I have one cat who thinks he needs to get into everything, including and form of chocolate if we accidentally leave it where he can get into it (read, leaving the childproof locks off of the cabinets). 

The worst I've ever seen him is when he got into my chocolate covered espresso beans.  He kinda of looked like this guy for awhile ---> :panic:

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »
Vanilla is my favorite, too. Lately though, I've been addicted to Blue Bell MOO-lenium Crunch.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »
Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Doesn't get any better than that.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:09:44 PM »
My absolute favorite ice cream is Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, OMG! the combination of ingredients especially the marshmallow and caramel.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »
I miss Bluebell homemade vanilla.  So good with chocolate (cake, brownies, etc).
I love Hagen Daz but only buy it when its on sale.  Their strawberry is excellent.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
I really didn't want to know about Warpy's constipation problem...  :banghead:

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:23:07 AM »
I love French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean.

Raspberry if I can find it, otherwise, chocolate or butter pecan.

Brand doesn't matter much, but I think Ben & Jerry's is overpriced, at least around here.  I can get 3 quarts of another brand for less than 1 quart of B&J's.

Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 01:26:52 AM »
I miss Bluebell homemade vanilla.  So good with chocolate (cake, brownies, etc).
I love Hagen Daz but only buy it when its on sale.  Their strawberry is excellent.

Hagen daaz Strawberry is soooo good!  So creamy and yummy!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 06:45:01 AM »
Raspberry if I can find it, otherwise, chocolate or butter pecan.

Brand doesn't matter much, but I think Ben & Jerry's is overpriced, at least around here.  I can get 3 quarts of another brand for less than 1 quart of B&J's.

I usually only get the Ben & Jerry's when it's on sale, and even the sale price is pretty expensive, but I don't buy it often.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 07:50:01 AM »

The defrocked warped primitive mentions her constipation quite a bit, and as much as I've brought of the defrocked warped primitive over here from Skins's island, I thought everybody here was intimately acquainted with her problem.

The defrocked warped primitive alleges herself to be "allergic" to milk and dairy products.

But on the other hand, the defrocked warped primitive is a chocaholic.

That's a pretty odd tendency among the primitives of Skins's island; they're always "allergic" to things good for them, and surprisingly never allergic to things unhealthy for them.

And as you perhaps already know, sir, it's too bad the defrocked warped primitive, once a registered nurse, wasn't allergic to any of the chemical substances found in narcotics cabinets of hospitals.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
It is always vanilla, or vanilla bean.  But BlueBell has a Summer Berries edition that was awesome.  To be frank, I don't worry too much with the price of ice cream.  Boyfriend and I only eat it on Sunday nights, so a half gallon lasts about 6 weeks or so. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »
About 18 or so years ago, I worked in Stewart's Ice Cream Plant in Saratoga Springs.  In the "ice cream hardening room" in the freezer.  -30F average.  Anyway, my current favorite is their "Crumbs Along The Mohawk."  It's a graham cracker flavored IC, with small gram cracker chips in it.  Last night, my daughter got her first taste of it.  It may be a more frequent purchase now.  My wife is partial to Stewart's Mint Cookie Crumble.  Yes, we have his' and hers' half-gallons.  Our daughter will eat either one.  (I'm thinking that I need to get our daughter started on a Death By Chocolate-type ice cream.  That'll take up loads of room in the freezer racks.)  Oreo, OTOH, only seems to prefer vanilla-based concoctions.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »

Sadly, that was one of the first things I noticed from that thread.

I don't pay that much attention to ice cream prices.  I buy it so rarely that I don't even know what a good price is.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »
About 18 or so years ago, I worked in Stewart's Ice Cream Plant in Saratoga Springs.  In the "ice cream hardening room" in the freezer.  -30F average.  Anyway, my current favorite is their "Crumbs Along The Mohawk."  It's a graham cracker flavored IC, with small gram cracker chips in it.  Last night, my daughter got her first taste of it.  It may be a more frequent purchase now.  My wife is partial to Stewart's Mint Cookie Crumble.  Yes, we have his' and hers' half-gallons.  Our daughter will eat either one.  (I'm thinking that I need to get our daughter started on a Death By Chocolate-type ice cream.  That'll take up loads of room in the freezer racks.)  Oreo, OTOH, only seems to prefer vanilla-based concoctions.

I will take Stewarts Ice cream any day over one of the name brands.
It is excellent.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »
I usually keep vanilla bean in the freezer, either the local dairy brand or Breyer's....depending on which one's on sale. Local dairy, is up close to Ben&Jerry's price.

Graeter's Ice Cream out of Cincy is the most wonderful ice cream.  :bow: Eat a pint and add five pounds to each hip.. :bawl:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »
I will take Stewarts Ice cream any day over one of the name brands.
It is excellent.

Yes, it is.  Even though I knew the people making it at the time, it is.   :o

I think Mint Cookie Crumble is the Flavor of the Week.  Too bad that we don't really have that much room in the freezer.  I was considering buying a small chest freezer to put in the shed off of the patio, at one time. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.