Author Topic: Poll watcher challenges woman's right to vote  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Poll watcher challenges woman's right to vote
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
Mickey Eldridge said a Republican candidate's poll watcher singled her out because of her politics while standing in a election line in Crossville.

Eldridge is a known Democrat and she's happy to admit it. However, when she walked into vote, she asked for a republican ballot.

This procedure is called cross-over voting and given Tennessee's open party system it happens all the time across the state. However, in this case a Republican poll watcher challenged Eldrige's vote. "I was told in no uncertain terms that I was being denied the right to vote for some Republican candidates on a state or local level because I've been known to be a Democrat, vote in the Democratic Primary in the past and she was going to challenge my right to vote," explained Eldridge.

Election officials say they have a list of rules they have to following order for a challenge to occur. The first four rules cover things that may seem obvious such as a voter can face a challenge if they aren't registered at the polling place. Rule number five permits a challenge when the voter "is not a bona fide member of political party in whose primary he seeks to vote."

Eldridge said she is headed to the polls Tuesday morning with her lawyer.

Yeah, she's a Democrat all right.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100720/NEWS02/100720020
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Poll watcher challenges woman's right to vote
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:11:01 AM »
Hate to say it, but if it's an open primary system, that's what will happen.

How the hell do you think Ron Paul got as many votes as he did?  Even in states like NH, just swap party registration (same day here) and vote for him.  I saw a lot of hippie libtards who were on the GOP rolls who did so SOLELY for the purpose of voting for Paul in the primaries.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford