Author Topic: Favorite Wine and price range  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Favorite Wine and price range
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
What is your favorite wine or wines and what is the price range you normally shop in?

My two favorite wines are Pro+mis+Q+ous and Purple Cowboy Tenacious Red which are both in about the $11-$13 range.  To me, both these wines are so good, it is hard to justify trying out any other reds.

My girlfriend shares my taste in red wines but, inconceivably, also loves Prairie Fumé which is a Wisconsin white wine, which, of course, wine is red so there can be no such thing as a white wine.  But, to each their own, I suppose.  Prairie Fumé is also in the $10-$11 price range.  To me, there is an after taste to this wine that I do not like but my girlfriend says is the best thing about it.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline thundley4

Re: Favorite Wine and price range
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
Anything under $5/gal.  Never mind. I haven't bought wine in over 20 years. 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
Chateau Bleu Wogger-Wogger, or preferably whatever my host supplies for free...if he's out of any reasonably drinkable beer and doesn't have any actual liquor either, that is.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Wine?? I thought that was what women consumed?!!?!?!?!?!?   :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Wine?? I thought that was what women consumed?!!?!?!?!?!?   :fuelfire:
Yes, with men who can still appreciate the sensual pleasures. Which is why I don't appreciate white wine as much.  But drinking a good red wine has much in common with loving a woman as both require the proper attention in order to properly appreciate.  And the more you appreciate, the greater your pleasure.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
Anything under $5/gal.  Never mind. I haven't bought wine in over 20 years. 
I only spend that king of green on very special occasions. I do remember spending $2.50/gal on Thunderbird back in my college days. That crap was so cheap it took two days for the hangover to kick in.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
I only spend that king of green on very special occasions. I do remember spending $2.50/gal on Thunderbird back in my college days. That crap was so cheap it took two days for the hangover to kick in.

About 20 years ago we bought a gallon jug for $3.25. It tasted pretty good, but we both felt like crap the next day.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Chocovine, $10-15 a bottle depending on if it's on sale or not. It's a Cab mixed with dutch chocolate. Sorta a YooHoo with a kick. It really is tasty.

I hate wine but love this.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
I prefer beer.  But sometimes I like wine.  Only red though.  My picks would have to be Fat Bastard Shiraz (bought it because of the name, and it was really good)  or Santa Rita Cabernet.  If I really want a treat, I will get Becker Vineyards Iconoclast Cabernet, but that is a once a year thing.  Usually around Christmas.

I prefer a Shiraz first, and Cab second.  But typically I will buy whatever is in my price range that has a cool label. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Do ports count? I like a good dark port. Especially Warre's Warrior. 
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »

Oh I love Port.  My wallet not so much.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Oh I love Port.  My wallet not so much.

Yeah, same here. I haven't bought a bottle in years. Probably when I was still in the Guard.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »
Yeah, same here. I haven't bought a bottle in years. Probably when I was still in the Guard.

If you like port, you can get a "port" produced by Messina Hof at Sigels.  Now, obviously it is not a "Port-Port" as it isn't fortified, but it tastes very good, and is in a decent price range. 

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »
If you like port, you can get a "port" produced by Messina Hof at Sigels.  Now, obviously it is not a "Port-Port" as it isn't fortified, but it tastes very good, and is in a decent price range. 

I'll see about checking it out. Unfortunately I tend to be... Hell, who am I kidding? I am a purist when it comes to wine, scotch and cigars.  :-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I'll see about checking it out. Unfortunately I tend to be... Hell, who am I kidding? I am a purist when it comes to wine, scotch and cigars.  :-)

I hear ya.  But, for the price, it is definately worth trying once.  And, it makes a great port/balsamic reduction to put on grilled lamb chops.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
I hear ya.  But, for the price, it is definately worth trying once.  And, it makes a great port/balsamic reduction to put on grilled lamb chops.

Mmm. Grilled lamb chops. I might have to do those soon.

Offline debk

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 11:31:11 AM »
I don't drink wine at all, except out of the communion cup at church.

I have bought BlackStock Cabs, Merlots, and Pinots the last couple of times I've needed it for company. It's from a winery in N Georgia. A friend is a wine and spirits rep, and teaches wine classes. He recommended it. Have no clue what it tastes like, but my guests are the type who would say if it was terrible.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
I've never had a port but have been curious to try one for years, ever since seeing that episode of Columbo: Any Old Port in  a Storm guest staring the late, great Donald Pleasence.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
Jacobs Creek Shiraz- $6-8 (cheap but tasty)
Rosemount Shiraz - $7-10 (same as above- cheap and tasty)
Clos du Bois cabernet - used to drink this a lot, but they raised the price to 20 or so. 

Offline soleil

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
I got ruined on wine early on. Bad wine mixed with beer will do that to you. But all of my friends and family love chardonnay. So, I will give it as a gift occasionally. I go with La Crema which is about $25-$30 depending on where you buy it. It is a fave. It is middle of the road price wise. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

I buy my father-in-law merlot every Christmas. He loves it. I change it up, and I go with about a $50 bottle since it is once a year. I have no clue of what I buy. I go with the point system. He hasn't complained yet.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
Louis M Martini Cab, runs around $13, and tastes like a Cab should.

One of my fav's is E&J Gallo, not the "family" stuff, though the 2007 Cab is pretty good @ 9.99, but the vineyard designated wines, namely the Barrelli Creek Vineyard Cab, is like "poor mans Silver Oak".

Best wine I ever bought was a 1987 Gruaud Larose. It was a truly incredible wine.

Buncha non-wine drinking heathens we have here.   :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
Louis M Martini Cab, runs around $13, and tastes like a Cab should.

One of my fav's is E&J Gallo, not the "family" stuff, though the 2007 Cab is pretty good @ 9.99, but the vineyard designated wines, namely the Barrelli Creek Vineyard Cab, is like "poor mans Silver Oak".

Best wine I ever bought was a 1987 Gruaud Larose. It was a truly incredible wine.

Buncha non-wine drinking heathens we have here.   :tongue:

A truly memorable experience with a bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine, almost 40 years ago as a freshman in college....made a permanently lasting impression and destroyed any potential to develop a "wine palate".  :puke:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
I got ruined on wine early on. Bad wine mixed with beer will do that to you. But all of my friends and family love chardonnay. So, I will give it as a gift occasionally. I go with La Crema which is about $25-$30 depending on where you buy it. It is a fave. It is middle of the road price wise. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

I buy my father-in-law merlot every Christmas. He loves it. I change it up, and I go with about a $50 bottle since it is once a year. I have no clue of what I buy. I go with the point system. He hasn't complained yet.

I've only tried La Crema Pinot Noir. It was quite tasty.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
I've only tried La Crema Pinot Noir. It was quite tasty.

I have a bottle of that vintage 2000 I'm thinking needs to be popped.

I haven't been drinking much wine lately with my health issues, but I have always been very patient with wine. I have a couple of mixed cases in the 1998 to 2001 range.

I used to think that ten bucks for a bottle of wine was splurging a little, but I discovered if you bumped up into the $22+ range at Costco, you can get some really amazing stuff.

Heitz cab is awesome, if you can stand to sit on it for ten to twenty years.

Cooper-Garrod cab was a great one for drinking young, though I haven't bought any in years.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:02 AM »
Chocovine, $10-15 a bottle depending on if it's on sale or not. It's a Cab mixed with dutch chocolate. Sorta a YooHoo with a kick. It really is tasty.

I hate wine but love this.

Sounds good.