Author Topic: primitive gets stopped by traffic cop  (Read 1491 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive gets stopped by traffic cop
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »
http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8712927

Oh my.

matt819  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jul-08-10 06:21 PM
Original message

Minor rant on police traffic stop 

4:00 on Monday afternoon (end of July 4th weekend). Small town in New England, state highway, town cop - my town. I'm heading west, cop facing east. Road not busy in either direction, but there is some traffic.

As I pass the cop, he turns his lights on and does a U-turn but does not speed up or close the distance with me. I don't know whether he's after me or has been called out for something. It dawns on me that he wants me to stop and I slow down after a bit and wait for there to be a little more room on the side of the road, so it's safe for both of us, then I stop.

He stops, takes his sweet time - about 5 minutes - and then approaches me on the passenger side. He asks why I didn't stop, why I was going 53 in a 40 mph zone, and did I know I had a headlight out.

I explained as I observed above. He didn't give a damn. I told him I thought it was a 50 mph zone and he storms - that's the only word I can use to describe it - back to his car. Another 5-7 minutes pass and he returns and asks me to get out of the car, which I do. He repeats his questions. I gesture to the road and explain, again, that I wanted to stop safely. He tells me to stop waving my hands in his face - I wasn't - and that he thought I was going to run. He then reiterated that I was speeding. It turns out he stopped me about 100 yards short of the speed change. The long and short of it is that he gave me a warning - including the headlight, which I wasn't required to have on anyway at 4 in the afternoon.

I wouldn't have minded any of it but for two things. He did not at any point acknowledge that he recognized me - He's been to my house (I called about a dead bird when there were threats of bird diseases), and I see him at town meeting and at the town offices periodically, and I was less than a mile from my house, and, of course, he had the address on my license. Next, he was nasty, seemingly for the sake of being nasty. If he stopped me because of concern for my safety - which he claimed - that didn't come across. And he refused to acknowledge my concern for his safety - and mine - by stopping when it was safe to do so.

What I think pissed me off more than anything else was the sense of superiority rather than one, not of subservience, but of service to the community. Basically, he was a dick, and I've been fuming about it for several days.

Now, for all you pro-police sorts out there, I'm not anti-police. I'm glad they're there. They perform a valuable service, and one for which I am grateful. But I do know the difference between "serve and protect" and "dickhead." I've been stopped previously for both warnings and tickets, and I was treated with professionalism, respect, and just enough humanity to make me comfortable. This guy certainly didn't step over the line, but he sure did piss me off.

Rant over. All's well that ends well. And a stitch in times saves 9.

RamboLiberal  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jul-08-10 07:12 PM
Response to Reply #7

9. Depends on the cop

If I'm getting pulled over I will slow down put my flashers on if I feel it is an unsafe place to stop.

I hate as a driver when I come upon some idiot driver and cop who are pulled over on the road for a ticket in a way that could cause a crash.

One time I got the flashers behind me on a long bridge. I didn't pull over till I got on the ramp. The cop didn't even question it and in fact gave me a break and let me out of the ticket. (Stop sign in a podunk town where I would've never expected one - on a main street for a dead end alley - ticket trap). I think my german shepherd type dog wagging her tail in the back seat at the nice officer is why he let me off and that I was patronizing the local vet in the town.

SunnySong (895 posts)       Thu Jul-08-10 08:41 PM
Response to Original message

12. Have a beer with the Chief of Police... seriously.

I had to complain about a cop who was both an asshole and a liar. I explained to the chief what a liability he clearly was a few months later he was let go on a disability due to PTSD from Iraq... and I am not kidding when I say the chief appreciated a calm informational heads up.

The lying tits primitive, the "TomInTib" primitive, rises again.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline soleil

Re: primitive gets stopped by traffic cop
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
This will more than likely turn into "police are scum". Not real sure about this guy. Don't even recall this poster. But he got off with a warning, so IMO, it is no biggie. There are definitely jerk cops out there. Many get out of the academy with a power complex of sorts. Many also mellow over time. But a cop has to have a different kind of attitude. For every nice guy they stop, there is someone else out there that wants to hurt them. Or someone else out there that is a criminal. I am not saying they have to be jerks, they don't. But what I am saying is that most deserve the benefit of the doubt. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. It sucks sometimes, but that is the way it goes. But again, any complaining cop thread gives you bonus points at DU.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
Perhaps the cop thought the OP needed to be taken down a notch....after being called to the OP's house for a dead bird!!!!!   :fuelfire:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »
Couple of things I noticed;

1.)  If you have a light on your vehicle it must work by law.  It doesn't matter if it is daylight out the light must work if it exists.

2.)  DUmmy claims to have thought the speed limit was higher ..... DUmmy admits it stopped within a mile of its house .... how many of us don't know ALL the speed limits within 5 miles of our home?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8712927

Oh my.

The lying tits primitive, the "TomInTib" primitive, rises again.....

You may be right frank.  That one will bear watching.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:35:27 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
It just so happens I was pulled over last night. First time in over eighteen years. On the way home from work, a little after midnight. My first thought when I saw the lights was "Oh, shit". Then I realized I couldn't have done anything very serious. I pulled over quickly, stopped the engine, rolled the window down, turned on the dome light and put both hands on the wheel.

The cop came over to the passenger side and tapped on the window. I rolled it down and saw that it was a city cop, young guy, but with sergeant stripes. He asked me if I had my license with me. I said, "I hope so" and we both laughed. He says, "You've got a headlight out." He takes my license and says, "I'll be right back". Doesn't ask for registration, proof of insurance, papers showing U.S. citizenship, or anything else. A minute later he's back, gives me back my license and asked me to put my high-beams on. He checks the lights and I confirm with him which one is out.

Then he say's, "I'm not going to write you a ticket. The ticket is $79.00 but I'd rather see you spending that money to get the light fixed. I'll give you a week or ten days before I have to write it up if I see it still out. I tell him it will be fixed in a couple of days. I get no warning ticket or anything. We've been perfectly cordial with one another. I tell him I appreciate it and he replies, "No problem, have a good night."

There was no shouting.
I did everything I could to make his job as easy as possible while preserving my own rights, thus minimizing the time we were in contact.
I felt no need to discuss the impending police state.
I did not scream "Pig!" at him or tell him he was a toadie of The Corporations.
I did not get proned out, cuffed, stuffed or Tazered.
The only thing it cost me was ten minutes of my time.

99.9% of the time, cops will be as civil towards you as you are towards them. That's why I believe that 99.9% of the problems DUmmies have with cops are brought on by themselves
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
It just so happens I was pulled over last night. First time in over eighteen years. On the way home from work, a little after midnight. My first thought when I saw the lights was "Oh, shit". Then I realized I couldn't have done anything very serious. I pulled over quickly, stopped the engine, rolled the window down, turned on the dome light and put both hands on the wheel.

The cop came over to the passenger side and tapped on the window. I rolled it down and saw that it was a city cop, young guy, but with sergeant stripes. He asked me if I had my license with me. I said, "I hope so" and we both laughed. He says, "You've got a headlight out." He takes my license and says, "I'll be right back". Doesn't ask for registration, proof of insurance, papers showing U.S. citizenship, or anything else. A minute later he's back, gives me back my license and asked me to put my high-beams on. He checks the lights and I confirm with him which one is out.

Then he say's, "I'm not going to write you a ticket. The ticket is $79.00 but I'd rather see you spending that money to get the light fixed. I'll give you a week or ten days before I have to write it up if I see it still out. I tell him it will be fixed in a couple of days. I get no warning ticket or anything. We've been perfectly cordial with one another. I tell him I appreciate it and he replies, "No problem, have a good night."

There was no shouting.
I did everything I could to make his job as easy as possible while preserving my own rights, thus minimizing the time we were in contact.

99.9% of the time, cops will be as civil towards you as you are towards them. That's why I believe that 99.9% of the problems DUmmies have with cops are brought on by themselves

I had almost the same thing happened to me back in high school. Both the lights for my license plate were out. Was up late working on a Bronco I almost bought and was headed to the auto parts store anyways. Cop comes up, takes my license and insurance, checks me out and let's me know what's wrong. Spend a few minutes talking about cars and he let me go with a verbal warning to get them fixed before he saw me again. So went to the store, bought the lights and fixed them immediately. Nice guy. I didn't cop and attitude and didn't get any in return. Just quick, professional and helpful.

But we're not DUmmies.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
The OP is incensed about the police officer not recognizing her from a previous visit?  That cracks me up.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »
Last time I got pulled over the cop took the usual 5 minutes as he ran my plates. He walked up to the car and asked where I was headed.

The answer was home.

He asked where I was coming from.

"Work."

"Where's work?"

"State headquarters in Centennial. [70 miles away] and truth be told officer when you spend that much time on the road you tend to lean on the gas pedal a bit more to shorten the time."

"Holy crap. You do that every day?"

"Four days a week sir."

He sent me away with a written warning.

Granted, I was in uniform but still.

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline longview

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
I got pulled over for speeding a few years back.  I absolutely knew I wasn't.  The officer knew my kids and me because we lived between a town of 280 and his parents' place.  He asked some mechanical type questions and suggested I take my Blazer to a guy near the county seat that had a diagnostic computer at his shop.  I had a bad sensor that made my spedometer give false readings.  The rig handled much better after I wasn't pushing it "up to speed!"  It became a local joke and a few folks stopped the deputy and ask him car questions after that.

Several police in my family, all in another state.  I know there are some stinkers, but overall I can't imagine why anyone would have a conflict with one.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:11:07 PM »

There was no shouting.

I've only had dealings with cops like 3 times and everytime they've always been nice and respectful, probably because I was nice and respectful to them. My Parents always said don't argue with a cop and admit if you made a mistake.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:37:26 PM by Ballygrl »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline soleil

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »

There was no shouting.

I have never had it happen to me any other way. I mean I have gotten a ticket before, but never was there any conflict. I was nice, even when I was pissed about the ticket, and I've always been given the same attitude back. They don't make the laws, the just enforce them. I know through my brother that there are the jerks out there, but they are far less than the good guys. Far less.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:48 AM »
One of the local sheriff's deputies pulled me over last week. As soon as he put on the lights, I pulled over. I can't for the life of me figure out anything I have done wrong and figure I must have a tail light out. He walks up to the window and lets me know he has been looking for me all damn day! His words, not mine!

He then hands me my wallet that I left down at the jail the night before when I bailed a DUmbass out of stater from the drunk yank!

Pays to know the local yokels! Had all my credit cards, SS card, bond license, about $400, the whole bowl o' wax! I hadn't even noticed I didn't have it!

Oh yeah, he said he needed to give Dixie, my Labrador runnin partner, a dog biscuit, too! Heh!

I followed him down to the local espresso stand and bought the man a cup o' jo!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
I followed him down to the local espresso stand and bought the man a cup o' jo!

AR . . . is there sumtin' you should be tellin' Toots about?  :gay2: :tongue:

:lmao: :rotf:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »
matt819  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jul-08-10 06:21 PM
Original message

Minor rant on police traffic stop...

"Minor rant" is the new So in DUmmyland?

I can't keep up with all these new bouncys! I need a computer and database to catalog and track them. Where is badcat when you need him?
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 04:55:31 AM »
Couple of things I noticed;

1.)  If you have a light on your vehicle it must work by law.  It doesn't matter if it is daylight out the light must work if it exists.

2.)  DUmmy claims to have thought the speed limit was higher ..... DUmmy admits it stopped within a mile of its house .... how many of us don't know ALL the speed limits within 5 miles of our home?

KC
+100

As 'they' say, "ignorance of he law is no excuse".

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »
+100

As 'they' say, "ignorance of he law is no excuse".

True, but sometimes it will bet you a pass.

I was following a beat-up Nissan pickup on the interstate.  I was pacing myself with him, because my speedometer on my truck wasn't working right.  (WTH, the truck had 300K on it.  I don't think I'd be working right, either.)

State trooper pulls both of us over, give Nissan a ticket and sends him on his way.  Tells me I was doing 80 in a 65, I tell him that my speedometer was flukey and that if he knew my cousin, who was also a trooper (he did.)

Let me off with an "improper equipment" ticket, which when I took to court, the judge dismissed upon payment of court costs, because he was a family friend who goes deer hunting on our land every fall!  I shook the judge's hand, and the trooper's hand, and thanked both before I left the courtroom.

FWIW, the county sheriff and I are on a first-name basis, but NOT because I'm in any trouble with the law.  The sheriff told me one time that if he would run a background check on me, it would probably come back cleaner than his!  I told him it had to, I work for the USPS!

Man, I LOVE small towns!
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 06:25:36 AM »
First off, being from a "small New England town" myself, I have been pulled over exactly twice in the last four years, both times for speeding.  Neither time was I asked to leave the vehicle.  IIRC, they DON'T want you leaving the vehicle unless they suspect something more than a traffic violation or if there's an immediate danger by remaining in the vehicle.

I handed them my license and registration (after telling them where it was).  They asked the usual questions, go back, come back, hand me my paperwork and tell me to slow down.  Amazing.

This morning is another case in point...one of the highways were I travel to work, EVERYONE speeds.  I was doing about 65 in a 55, when I saw the state trooper coming up behind me.  I finished passing the car, moved over, dropped it to about 60, and the trooper kept right on going without so much as a second glance.

I guess that invisible VRWC bumper sticker really DOES work.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 06:32:28 AM »
True, but sometimes it will bet you a pass.

I was following a beat-up Nissan pickup on the interstate.  I was pacing myself with him, because my speedometer on my truck wasn't working right.  (WTH, the truck had 300K on it.  I don't think I'd be working right, either.)

State trooper pulls both of us over, give Nissan a ticket and sends him on his way.  Tells me I was doing 80 in a 65, I tell him that my speedometer was flukey and that if he knew my cousin, who was also a trooper (he did.)

Let me off with an "improper equipment" ticket, which when I took to court, the judge dismissed upon payment of court costs, because he was a family friend who goes deer hunting on our land every fall!  I shook the judge's hand, and the trooper's hand, and thanked both before I left the courtroom.

FWIW, the county sheriff and I are on a first-name basis, but NOT because I'm in any trouble with the law.  The sheriff told me one time that if he would run a background check on me, it would probably come back cleaner than his!  I told him it had to, I work for the USPS!

Man, I LOVE small towns!
Funny...I *hear* that most sex offenders say the same thing!  :-) :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :fuelfire: :fuelfire:
(running...ducking...)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 07:05:03 AM »
As I pass the cop, he turns his lights on and does a U-turn but does not speed up or close the distance with me. I don't know whether he's after me or has been called out for something.

Emergency vehicle approaching?   YOU PULL TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND ALLOW THEM TO PASS.   It's called yielding to an emergency vehicle misfit. 

He went after you and you didn't pull over.  Hence his "attitude."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »
Emergency vehicle approaching?   YOU PULL TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND ALLOW THEM TO PASS.   It's called yielding to an emergency vehicle misfit. 

He went after you and you didn't pull over.  Hence his "attitude."

Yeah, it's amazing they had to pass a law in NH reminding people to pull over or slow down and give room to emergency vehicles. 

Which reminded me of a situation on the Spaulding a few weeks ago.  This was in Dover where it's 2 lanes each way.  Trooper was on the side with someone, lights flashing, etc..., saw it in plenty of time, as did everyone else.  We all went to the left (passing) lane and slowed down, except for one asshole in some shitbox that blew by the cop at 70-plus, figuring he was "safe" because he was pulling over someone else. 

Turns out he was done with the first stop.  The trooper passed us and nailed the guy in the shitbox car just before the Dover tolls.  Priceless.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Karin

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
I don't recall ever encountering an a-hole cop. 

A few years ago I was on a business trip from hell to Seattle.  Coming back through Denver, all travelers got trapped for some time by a fierce blizzard.  It made national news.  So, a million years later, I'm finally one mile away from home in my car at 4:00 a.m., probably going a bit fast as just couldn't wait to get home.  On come the blue & red lights, the cop surely thinking I'm a drunk driver.  I told him my sad tale, he noticed the suitcase in the back and me sober as a judge, and ends up heaping generous sympathy on me; he'd seen the news.  I just got the warning and well wishes for a good nights rest.