Author Topic: Since Obama can never win over the right, why has he abandoned the left?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
The OP isn't particularly interesting but a few comments in the thread are:

Since Obama can never win over the right, why has he abandoned the left?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=433x350437

Scuba (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-22-10 11:14 AM
Original message
Since Obama can never win over the right, why has he abandoned the left?

Is there some subtle strategy in place? Has he been co-opted? Did Cheney threaten to eat his children?

It was the left that won the election for him, and he has been on the middle-right since taking office. Why?

riverdale (840 posts)        Tue Jun-22-10 11:16 AM
Response to Original message
1. because this is who he really is
   A good politician, poor leader

ecstatic  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:17 AM
2. I was hoping the new rules would put an end
   to threads like this.

JTFrog  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-22-10 11:18 AM
Response to Reply #2
4. I think some are testing the waters before the rules go into effect.

kjackson227 (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:20 AM
Response to Reply #4
5. Seems that way, doesn't it?

catgirl (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-22-10 11:22 AM
Response to Reply #2
8. It's their last chance to bash Obama

tekisui  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:28 AM
Response to Reply #2
12. How is this thread violative of a rule?   
   Which rule, exactly?

LoZoccolo  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:38 AM
Response to Reply #12
22. The rule against inflammatory threads. n/t

jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:40 AM
Response to Reply #22
26. Yes, we all need to be pleasant in Pleasantville
LoZoccolo  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:41 AM
Response to Reply #26
27. Nope, you just have to refrain from tired and obnoxious hyperbole for drama drama. n/t

jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:46 AM
Response to Reply #27
31. Ahahahahaha!!
   Sorry, but you really should warn a person before making such a hilarious post.

jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:39 AM
Response to Reply #12
24. It's violating the rules as interpreted by a particular faction
   Which, again, is why imposing more rules will never work. We'll either have a board so tightly controlled that only three people are allowed to post here, or we'll be constantly inundated by authoritarian axe-grinders complaining that they were promised that no one would ever disagree with them.

ecstatic   (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:42 AM
Response to Reply #12
28. he posted a false opinion as fact
   It just gets really old and really annoying.

tekisui  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:44 AM
Response to Reply #28
30. He posted his real opinion as opinion. To be debated.   
   Not to be deleted.

jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #30
32. It's pretty obvious that some people have no interest in reading differing opinions
   Their clear hope is that the newest version of the rules will finally turn DU into what they've always wanted it to be: an sycophantic echo chamber that gives them the personal validation they likely never receive in real life.

YOY  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:49 AM
Response to Reply #30
33. Furthermore it's talking about policies...not calling Obama a "doodyhead"
   Let's face it...Center left promises were made on the campaign trail...center right was what we got.

jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 12:00 PM
Response to Reply #33
40. In all seriousness: for some posters, *there is no difference*
   Any and all criticism of the president is "bashing". Their hope with the new rules is that DU will become a pro-Obama echo chamber.

jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:37 AM
Response to Reply #2
21. God forbid you should have to read something you disagree with
   After all, everyone is supposed to be pleasant and agreeable on the internets.

Raine1967  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-22-10 11:39 AM
Response to Reply #2
25. They aren't in place yet.
   I suspect a lot of people will push as far as they can until they are in place -- or not.

This OP seems rather innocuous IMO.

cbayer   (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-22-10 12:19 PM
46. Locking
   We consider this an inappropriate attack on the President.

Specifically, we feel if violates this rules: Suggesting that President Obama has perpetrated a "con job" or "fraud," or similarly over-the-top assertions of bad faith.

cbayer
DU Moderator
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Wow! Proven true every day: scratch a dem find a fascist.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Wow! Proven true every day: scratch a dem find a fascist.

Cindie

It seems like the Obamabots really love the new rules and are running wild around the board there, lots of good links from oldelmtree.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #30
32. It's pretty obvious that some people have no interest in reading differing opinions
   Their clear hope is that the newest version of the rules will finally turn DU into what they've always wanted it to be: an sycophantic echo chamber that gives them the personal validation they likely never receive in real life.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Now that's funny, right there!

Just WTF do you think the DUmp is?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Only one reaction is appropriate . . .

:mental: :thatsright:

(Well, two.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Reality vs DU

Just when you think the DUmp could not get more pathetic......

Offline jukin

Sorry you DUmbass, the independent middle won the election for Obama. He has lost them completely.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Prolly because someone finally told him 'Progressives' really AREN'T sufficiently numerous to add to the die-hard Black race-based vote, and come out with a winning number.  Or even anywhere close to one.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Karin

Just look at that jaw-dropping OP up there.  "Locking."  "Now go to your room without dessert and be quiet." 

Skinner is going to find out what an empty forum and empty pockets look like.  If you go over to OldElmTree, you can see a huge amount of familiar names.  They name their DU name, too.  These can be seen in the "Hi and Introduce Yourself" section of the forum. 

We may have to keep an eye on that place, as well, as they grow.  I didn't see anything entertaining after a quick perusal, though.  Needs more bodies I think. 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Just look at that jaw-dropping OP up there.  "Locking."  "Now go to your room without dessert and be quiet." 

Skinner is going to find out what an empty forum and empty pockets look like.  If you go over to OldElmTree, you can see a huge amount of familiar names.  They name their DU name, too.  These can be seen in the "Hi and Introduce Yourself" section of the forum. 

We may have to keep an eye on that place, as well, as they grow.  I didn't see anything entertaining after a quick perusal, though.  Needs more bodies I think. 

I've been reading The Crisis forum over there a lot, haven't ventured out of there yet, are the other forums kooky like the DU?

Offline Karin

I haven't gotten far.  Just reading for now the intros, to see all the old pals kicked out of the DUmp.  They complain of a place called "PI" and how it was run over with hardcore Marxists, which they didn't like (!), and that such an attempt was made at OET, and it was squashed.  I don't know what PI is, does anybody else?

eta:  I dunno.  They do an awful lot of copy-pasting of other people's published articles.  It's a lot of the content, and very thin on original "thought."   If you do get original work, it's sooooooooooo long winded and blah blah blah and they don't realize that paragraphs are their friends. 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:01:07 PM by Karin »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I haven't gotten far.  Just reading for now the intros, to see all the old pals kicked out of the DUmp.  They complain of a place called "PI" and how it was run over with hardcore Marxists, which they didn't like (!), and that such an attempt was made at OET, and it was squashed.  I don't know what PI is, does anybody else?

eta:  I dunno.  They do an awful lot of copy-pasting of other people's published articles.  It's a lot of the content, and very thin on original "thought."   If you do get original work, it's sooooooooooo long winded and blah blah blah and they don't realize that paragraphs are their friends. 

PI = Progressive Independent; OET = Old Elm Tree (IIRC).
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Quote from: ecstatic
ecstatic   (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:42 AM
Response to Reply #12
28. he posted a false opinion as fact
   It just gets really old and really annoying.

Thought police much ?

Anyway, what the hell is a false opinion ? Is that when a woman asks 'Do these jeans make my butt look fat ?' and even though your opinion is 'Damn thats alotta junk in that trunk !' what you say is 'no dear, you look mighty fine in them jeans !'

Offline AllosaursRus

Thought police much ?

Anyway, what the hell is a false opinion ? Is that when a woman asks 'Do these jeans make my butt look fat ?' and even though your opinion is 'Damn thats alotta junk in that trunk !' what you say is 'no dear, you look mighty fine in them jeans !'

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...............

We have a winnah!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Give this man a cigah!!!!!!!11

ETA:

Ya must be a married man!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:21:46 PM by AllosaursRus »

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...............

We have a winnah!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Give this man a cigah!!!!!!!11

ETA:

Ya must be a married man!

Absolutely -- since '95.. Like a dog, I am fully trained & housebroken.   :-)

Offline AllosaursRus

Absolutely -- since '95.. Like a dog, I am fully trained & housebroken.   :-)

95?????? Hell I been doin' it since '74 !!!!!!!!!11

You're just a kid!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
DU is d-u-n

This new group think will strain the limits of endurance amongst the zealots and the reactionaries. Each side will be alerting on each other and so many accounts and threads will evaporate the remaining will be disgusted at the blandness of the conversations.

These junkies are addicted to drama and Skinner took away their favorite drug: each other's throats.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Karin

These junkies are addicted to drama and Skinner took away their favorite drug: each other's throats.

You win the internetz for a day!  Truer words never spoken.  But if all they do is "How are you?"  "I am fine.  And you?"  what will we do for entertainment? 

Offline zeitgeist

No right thinking leftist would go to Oldelmtree would they??  It is capitalism in action!!! 111 !!! :rotf:

Fruitful.  Great choice of words.

We want these forums to be comfortable and fruitful for all members, so we have a few rules:

No personal attacks are allowed. One can disagree with an idea or opinion while still respecting the other person and the other person's right to free speech.

No flames.

No spam.

The discussion forums will be moderated. We expect that in a very short time this will become too big a job for the two of us, so please consider volunteering to moderate your favorite forum, or a forum you'd like to see us start. Volunteering is good for your karma.

Coming Soon

So, what about revenue? How can we afford to do this? We are a small, two person operation. We're doing everything ourselves. We want this to pay for itself, and in the future provide an income for us so that we can devote ourselves to Old Elm Tree full time and grow it for you as much as possible. Our revenue will come from reasonably priced ads that promote what you do. All ads must be tasteful and valuable to the readers. We will provide many types of advertising, from small banner ads to full page galleries for artists and craftspeople. 

by meo, Saturday, 27 March 2004 13:58 Comments(0), Read all 

Competion..  Game on Skinner, game on.  Never fear the DLC will keep the lights on. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
PI = Progressive Independent; OET = Old Elm Tree (IIRC).

Oh my, PI is total kooksville, they even have a donate to Gaza link.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Skin's island has always been "you must not question Democrats (and more recently, Dear Leader)."  You have to wonder what these quacks who are complaining believed the board to be when they signed on.   Blindly supporting what the Dem party tells you to believe is the cornerstone of liberalism and these attempts to not step in unison cannot and will not be tolerated.  They've shown themselves to be too stupid to know what is expected of them, so they'll fragment into other irrelevant sites and further marginalize themselves.  The primitives, the KosKiddies, the moveon's, and the PuffHosters are the very definition of stupid.  The OET's and PI's make these groups look smart, so there's a reason $kimmer and the others need them out there.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Airwolf

You win the internetz for a day!  Truer words never spoken.  But if all they do is "How are you?"  "I am fine.  And you?"  what will we do for entertainment? 

Someone will stir the pot eventually
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
jgraz  (1000+ posts)          Tue Jun-22-10 11:39 AM
Response to Reply #12
24. It's violating the rules as interpreted by a particular faction
   Which, again, is why imposing more rules will never work. We'll either have a board so tightly controlled that only three people are allowed to post here, or we'll be constantly inundated by authoritarian axe-grinders complaining that they were promised that no one would ever disagree with them.

Yes, this is liberalism in a nutshell.  Which is why it is more correctly described as a cult.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Someone will stir the pot eventually
Yea - no matter how hard and how often you scrub the public toilets, some DUmmy bloated with burrito fever will always come along and crap the thing up.
We laugh because we can stand outside the blast radius and watch the DUmmys drown in their self-created cesspools then blame someone else for their failings.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄