Author Topic: Vesta & Her Strange Epicurean Experiences  (Read 7192 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Vesta & Her Strange Epicurean Experiences
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
It's not hard to tell the difference between scallops and ray.  I've never been served ray at the place I'm talking about.  Others, well....

The fishing industry has been in trouble for 15 years.

I began to notice when we began to process what in my youth was called---Bait fish.

Fresh water fish is not recommended for anyone to eat but every 2 weeks.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »

Fresh water fish is not recommended for anyone to eat but every 2 weeks.

I'd like to see some citations regarding that remark. There are SOME fresh water fish that one should eat too often, but that all depends on where they are caught. One example is fish caught from the Mississippi River, unless they are caught up in the headwaters of the Mississippi. The lake nearest me is another example. Why?? Because of the pollution in those waters. There are many lakes around that have little or no pollution and the fish are safe to eat on a daily basis. I've also heard that certain Ocean fish shouldn't be consumed very often, either and for the same reasons.

Wednesday, I have an appointment with my Neurologist in Dallas. I plan on stopping by Central Market on the way home and get some fresh Tuna and/ or maybe some shark steaks.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
I'd like to see some citations regarding that remark. There are SOME fresh water fish that one should eat too often, but that all depends on where they are caught. One example is fish caught from the Mississippi River, unless they are caught up in the headwaters of the Mississippi. The lake nearest me is another example. Why?? Because of the pollution in those waters. There are many lakes around that have little or no pollution and the fish are safe to eat on a daily basis. I've also heard that certain Ocean fish shouldn't be consumed very often, either and for the same reasons.

Wednesday, I have an appointment with my Neurologist in Dallas. I plan on stopping by Central Market on the way home and get some fresh Tuna and/ or maybe some shark steaks.

If they have any AmberJack you should pick some up as well.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
If you lived where I do, you'd be glowing in the dark, if you ate fish out of some of the local waters.... :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »
If you lived where I do, you'd be glowing in the dark, if you ate fish out of some of the local waters.... :uhsure:
to much run off from Oak ridge?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline debk

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »
to much run off from Oak ridge?

Yep. You can eat fish out of Norris and from the Clinch above Oak Ridge....but you don't want to eat it if came from down stream.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.