Author Topic: Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz  (Read 1554 times)

Offline MrsSmith

Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
Newsjock  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 10:35 AM

Original message

Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz; windows broken on dozens of businesses

Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Full headline (doesn't fit in Title field): Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz; windows broken on dozens of businesses, porch of cafe set on fire

SANTA CRUZ - A group of protesters demonstrating at a May Day rally for worker's and immigrant rights downtown broke off into a riot vandalizing about a dozen businesses around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, police said.

Windows were left shattered and graffiti including anarchy signs were tagged onto buildings. The Rittenhouse Building, Urban Outfitters, Jamba Juice and Velvet Underground all had windows broken, according to Capt. Steve Clark.

Santa Cruz police asked for help from all agencies in the county to break up the riot. At one point, protesters lit a fire on the porch of Caffe Pergolesi and blocked access to firefighters, officers said. Police were able to clear out the demonstrators before more damage was caused.

A large rock sat outside Verizon Wireless on the 100 block of Cooper Street, where vandals tried to break the window twice, according to Clark.

"The damage that was caused was without purpose," Clark said. "It was senseless violence that victimized a community who cannot afford to be victimized in this manner. This did nothing to add credit to whatever they believed their cause was."

proud2BlibKansan  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 10:37 AM
Response to Original message
1. Minutemen?

Wishful thinking??   ::) ::) ::)

dkf  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 10:55 AM
Response to Reply #6
8. Supporters of Illegal immigration riot.

How's bout that?

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

bemildred Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-02-10 11:04 AM
Response to Reply #8
12. Freedom's untidy.

-- D. Rumsfeld

Strangely different reaction from their threads about (the dangerous, violent) Tea-Party demonstrations...that have caused no damage or riots.   ::) ::)

FLyellowdog  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 11:01 AM
11. Same thing happened in Asheville, NC.

Not a good thing.
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100502/NEWS01/100501022

Vandals destroy downtown Asheville storefronts, car windows

The violence is likely linked to the observance of May Day, a day for marking worker solidarity that has been seized upon for anti-capitalism displays of violence, especially by self-proclaimed anarchist groups in Europe.

I'm just waiting for the replies that excuse the rioters...they're "justified" because "the white man" has held them down for so long.   ::) ::)  I wonder why no one is ever grateful that capitalism has given us such a road UP out of poverty, instead of whining that it hasn't managed to bring the entire world along.  Yet.  

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline ScubaGuy

Re: Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
Crowman1979  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 10:53 AM
7. Here is the raw footage of this protest.

To me it looked like either some random anarchists not from the area or police infiltrators. Plus they were all in black hoodies and wearing scarves over there faces. While the majority was moving along and a few from that march were trying to stop them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU35sV4i3TA

I'll post this in the video section.

:banghead:
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
I wish those idiots would vandalize my car and break out my windows..... just saying.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:26:02 AM »
Any minute now Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, and Lord 0 will be on tv denouncing the violence.  :whatever:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
We truly are living in the bizarro world. Once again the left has actually used violence as a political tool and no mention from our elite leaders.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »
We truly are living in the bizarro world. Once again the left has actually used violence as a political tool and no mention from our elite leaders.

I am sure any minute the wun will hold a press conference denouncing this.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
Urban Outfitters, Jamba Juice and Velvet Underground all had windows broken, according to Capt. Steve Clark.

They're striking at the heart of California capitalism.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
and-justice-for-all  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 01:44 PM
49. thanks pukes, another mission accomplished...

this would be the result of their pro-racial profiling legislation

:rotf: :rotf: 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »
They want to blame teabaggers for the violence, but I was at the Santa Cruz riots about ten or twelve years ago, when Food Not Bombs held a protest. A bunch of anarchists from Berkeley came down and were smashing windows... probably the very same people this time.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
I think we should use crowd control from the air when events like this take place. Here is a good example of what I mean.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:58:49 PM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »
I thin kwe should use crowd control from the air when events like this take place. Hereis a good example of what I mean.

Naw, as long as it's just California, it's not worth the fuel. It's sort of like the riots in the '60s when ML King was killed, and democrats in big cities burned their own neighborhoods.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
I've even seen self descrobed conservatives mouth the Marxist dialectic philosophy with no knowledge of what they are saying.  Our indoctrination system would make the great propagandists of history smile.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I posted that on the Dumpster thread!!??

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:32:32 AM »
 :censored: Property Owners need to start defending their property.....maybe a few of of these assholes with lead poisoning  will make all the others think twice before they start getting violent.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline sofa king

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:46:37 AM »
heh...

break some windows in a liberal town?  pfffttt...

hell. burn the whole place down.  who gives a crap.

take the argument to san francisco.  please. i beg you...

:lmao:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
The violence is likely linked to the observance of May Day, a day for marking worker solidarity that has been seized upon for anti-capitalism displays of violence, especially by self-proclaimed anarchist groups in Europe.

Hell, if these dipshits keep it up, no worries, there won't be any capitalism to give them a job.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
and-justice-for-all  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-02-10 01:44 PM
49. thanks pukes, another mission accomplished...

this would be the result of their pro-racial profiling legislation

Yes, how dare we cowardly Americans defend our system of law against an ever lessening "silent invasion" body...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline jukin

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »
Clearly there are no Korean store owners in SC.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
I thin kwe should use crowd control from the air when events like this take place. Hereis a good example of what I mean.

What a ridiculous idea!

The the rotor wash interferes with the flame throwers.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »
Santa Cruz, like most liberal enclaves, was a nice area until those liberal policies and feel-good ideas turned it into a shithole...not unlike your dog taking a major crap right in the middle of your new white carpet.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Santa Cruz, like most liberal enclaves, was a nice area until those liberal policies and feel-good ideas turned it into a shithole...not unlike your dog taking a major crap right in the middle of your new white carpet.

THAT'S RACIST!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
THAT'S RACIST!

So ****in sue me.  I need the laughs.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford