Author Topic: Nyello  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Godot showed up

Nyello
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
Well, I just thought I'd say hello here before posting anywhere else, as is considered de rigeur. Pleased to meet you, hope you'll guess my name.

Oh, wait, I'm not the Devil. I'm just a pharma advertising editor (ie, a wordy legal drug dealer).

I'm very conservative (always been one), but in the interests of full disclosure maybe I should let you know I'm an atheist (always been one, trust me, not changing). Hope that doesn't mean I'm persona non grata here. I'm not the jerk militant kind who think they'll burst into flames if they pass by a creche at Christmas (which I love, btw; how can you not love Christmas, no matter what you believe?). I find that lot very embarrassing, they give the live-and-let-live ones among us a bad name, and I suspect they're really insecure in their unbelief. Why do they always want to ruin everyone else's good time? 95% of people believe in something divine, and IMO it's up to the 5% of us who don't to come to some civil accommodations with the rest of you, not the other way around.

I mention this because I noticed a religion topic thread on the subject, although I didn't post to it. Also it came up in another conservative forum and they just pretty much gave me the cold shoulder after that, even though I really am staunchly conservative, so I walked away.

Anyway, for me it's not a big deal. It's just a "no," and then I move on. (I remember reading years ago about classes in atheism being given somewhere, and I thought to myself, "What's to learn? Here's the syllabus: "no." If you can master that, you've passed.")
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:10:31 AM by Godot showed up »

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Nyello
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »
Welcome abord, heathen.  :p

May you stick around until the fires of hell call you home.  :lmao: :rotf:

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »
Thanks for the welcome...good beginning. Yep, I am a heathen, 'tis true. I've called myself that in the past.

But, if I could be said to believe in anything in a manner verging on the religious, it might be this:

:beer:

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Welcome! We've been waiting for you.   :-) Seriously, hope you enjoy it here.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »
But, if I could be said to believe in anything in a manner verging on the religious, it might be this:

Not me, but you would be in the majority around here worshipping the beer.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome...good beginning. Yep, I am a heathen, 'tis true. I've called myself that in the past.

Welcome!  I am pretty sure we have more than one conservative athiests here already, so no worries.  Beer is a really good start, but, what are your feelings on Bacon???

:cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
Welcome!  I am pretty sure we have more than one conservative athiests here already, so no worries.  Beer is a really good start, but, what are your feelings on Bacon???

:cheersmate:

More importantly, his opinion of cobbler.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »
Welcome!

yes, there are other atheists here, there are many who really like beer (worship? incorrect word), however....it's probably more important how you feel about cobbler, pie, bacon, bunny rabbits, and ptarmigans... :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »
I don't worship beer, but we do enjoy each other's company a great deal. :drunksailor:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
More importantly, his opinion of cobbler.

That ain't my question.   :whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »
Oh, trust me folks, if this is who I think--he likes cobbler.

Welcome.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »
Welcome :cheersmate:
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
Oh, sorrry I took so long to respond--I didn't realize this little intro thread had kept going. And thanks for the warm welcome, people.

1. I LOVE bacon. Is that a good thing? Bad for my cholesterol, so I can't have it as often as I would want, which would be just about every day, or at least every other day.
2. And yes, I love cobbler. I love any variant on fruit pies, like blueberry pie, cherry pie, apple pie, peach pie, etc, and cobbler is just those pies in a different form, really.
3.So I guess that answers the pie question. Can't say I'm a big fan of Pi, though--really untidy number.
Pi. Bunnies are cute. Not really my sort of pet, I love dogs and cats, but I know someone who has a bunny (a "dwarf" bunny, whatever that is) and he's pretty smart for a rabbit, and definitely adorable. I bring him radish leaves when I visit, and he's nuts for them.
4. Ptarmigans?....weeeeelll...do you mean to eat, or to watch as pretty birds? Not many ptarmigans here in NYC.

NHSparky--I don't think we know each other before our meeting on this board; this is my first time registering to this forum. So, although I think I'm not who you think I am, still, I like cobbler.

Although, truth is, I'm not a big sweet eater. Still, fruit confections are my favorites, if I'm having any sweets at all. If I ever have any candy, I go for good red licorice (not synthotasting twizzlers); not a big chocolate fan.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
There is a link near the top called "Show new replies to your posts" that you can see if anyone has continued a thread.

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
hey godot,

I remember you from RN.

It's me, formerly Green Bay Packers Rule.   lol

Welcome.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »
hey godot,

I remember you from RN.

It's me, formerly Green Bay Packers Rule.   lol

Welcome.

Hi! Yes, I remember you too! Do you still post there? I just found them waaaaay too stuffy, you may recall. Everyone hung up on this rule and that rule and proper formatting of news stories. It got to the point where there was just no fun in it.

I was wondering if NHSparky might have been an RN expat as well; I seem to recall someone with a similar monicker there, and he seemed to think he knew me, but the cobbler thing threw me...I do like cobbler, but I've never posted anywhere that I have a particular predilection for it, that much I know (until earlier in this thread, that is).

But recently I found a forum even wackier in its inbred self-love than RN. For about a month I posted to Hannity.com--good freakin' grief, you can't post the word "the" there without breaking some rule, they have some kind of caste system, for the love of Pete (where some posters are more equal than others), and they have half the board/forum there reporting on the other half. I swear, I mean I am not kidding, it seems like at least 50% of the people there spend 90% of their time whining to the mods about the most ludicrously insignificant schit. Their "Talk to the Moderators" subforum reads like the forum is a mini-police state composed of low-self-esteem suckups.

One word in that last para would be a case in point. They go BANANAS if you use some filter bypass variant of a vulgarity. Meanwhile, here, and on boards where people want to state their opinions but not play some weird, masochistic game of placing themselves in the power of the board ("yeth marthter, anything you thay marthter"), no one cares at all if you use even real vulgarity, as far as I can tell. I mean, obviously if you keep posting nothing but profanity that would be an entirely different thing, but peppering your posts here and there with a few well-placed vulgarities, for emphasis, is no big deal.

Anyway, I flew that coop. Maybe a site is conservative, but that doesn't mean it's a healthy site, necessarily.

This place is cool.

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »

Hi! Yes, I remember you too! Do you still post there? I just found them waaaaay too stuffy, you may recall. Everyone hung up on this rule and that rule and proper formatting of news stories. It got to the point where there was just no fun in it.

I was wondering if NHSparky might have been an RN expat as well; I seem to recall someone with a similar monicker there, and he seemed to think he knew me, but the cobbler thing threw me...I do like cobbler, but I've never posted anywhere that I have a particular predilection for it, that much I know (until earlier in this thread, that is).

But recently I found a forum even wackier in its inbred self-love than RN. For about a month I posted to Hannity.com--good freakin' grief, you can't post the word "the" there without breaking some rule, they have some kind of caste system, for the love of Pete (where some posters are more equal than others), and they have half the board/forum there reporting on the other half. I swear, I mean I am not kidding, it seems like at least 50% of the people there spend 90% of their time whining to the mods about the most ludicrously insignificant schit. Their "Talk to the Moderators" subforum reads like the forum is a mini-police state composed of low-self-esteem suckups.

One word in that last para would be a case in point. They go BANANAS if you use some filter bypass variant of a vulgarity. Meanwhile, here, and on boards where people want to state their opinions but not play some weird, masochistic game of placing themselves in the power of the board ("yeth marthter, anything you thay marthter"), no one cares at all if you use even real vulgarity, as far as I can tell. I mean, obviously if you keep posting nothing but profanity that would be an entirely different thing, but peppering your posts here and there with a few well-placed vulgarities, for emphasis, is no big deal.

Anyway, I flew that coop. Maybe a site is conservative, but that doesn't mean it's a healthy site, necessarily.

This place is cool.

Yeah, a lot looser her at CC; fits my personality.  lol

Yes, Sparky is ex-RN as is formerlurker, Ptarmigan, and a few others.    Got sick of Lisa/Trekqueen and the other meows.

Anyway, happy posting and see ya.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »
Yes, dear boy, I am a former RN poster, as are a few of us here.  I just changed my name to fit my locale, from Orange County to New Hampshire, hence the change in the front of my name.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
What is/was an RN?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
What is/was an RN?

Registered Nurse.

or maybe RightNation.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
In this case, it would be the latter.  Started out fine, but went to shit when Mark (original owner) sold the website in 2005 or so.  The new owner saw it only as a cash cow with no room for dissent outside the little (VERY LITTLE) inner circle.

Think Charles Johnson of LGF with less talent and a bigger ego going even more around the bend.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »
BY the way FGL are my initials and have no relations to LGF

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
Yes, dear boy, I am a former RN poster, as are a few of us here.  I just changed my name to fit my locale, from Orange County to New Hampshire, hence the change in the front of my name.

Well it's good to see you too, Spark! Oh...man...I must be thick...Ptarmigans.

:thatsright:

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 02:13:46 AM »
Welcome Godot. I've enjoyed reading your posts.